Effective Security/Locks - stats? "has anyone actually had their trailer stolen?"

So ... while cruising the forums I happened upon the topic of Trailer Security & Locks (the OTT forum vortex is really a thing!).  Did a general search in "Mods" on "locks" and resulted in over 1000 mentions of the term.  Read thru several of the postings, comments, research, recommendations, etc., all providing good input and perspective ... hitch locks, cable locks, GPS trackers, security cams, and so on ...

That said, it got me to thinking ... I suspect many of you can make mention of various items "disappearing" from your campsite (chairs, generators, etc.) ... but my question to the group is "has anyone actually had their trailer stolen?"

In my travels I've never come across anyone who has had their camper stolen ... nor anyone who knew anyone to have had one stolen.  I've gotta believe it has happened as there seems to be a sizable market for security devices and locks ... but I've not heard of any personal experience with this ... especially such an easily recognizable trailer like the Oliver Elite II.  Once stolen it would be difficult to re-sell and/or re-title, re-register, re-license without some traceability.

Thoughts?  Cheers, -Dan 

Danno and Donna | Pittsburgh, PA | Hull# 069 - 2015 Ollie Elite II | 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

Never heard of anything personally.

I did see a video on YouTube of a camper chasing his trailer being stolen out of the campground.

stopped them!

https://a.co/d/8BlEZYa

You can also add locking bolts to attach the bulldog coupler to frame if you’re really worried about theft.

Best

Mark

FLGAINKYNCOHPASCTNVAWVmed.jpg

Mark & Claudia

“Mr. Douglas” 2024 LE ll twin, hull # 1457, Truma AC & WH, Platinum solar, Natures Head

2024 Ford f250 Lariat Ultimate 7.3L gasser / 3.75, FX4

We've never met anyone personally who had a trailer stolen, but there are plenty of online tales and news items of it happening. Most stolen rigs seem to become homes for the homeless or meth labs in the woods, so they're not too worried about registration, title, etc.

The Oliver group is a very small sample size, so I'm not surprised we haven't heard of an Oliver being stolen yet. We use a hitch lock and some other measures to try to avoid being the first.

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Danno and Donna said:

. but my question to the group is "has anyone actually had their trailer stolen?"

Yes - 

A year or so ago there was an Oliver stolen and it was recovered in a field with what appeared to be a couple of guys living in it (kind of).

I remember that the Ollie had not been treated well but I don't recall any more than that.

When I get a bit of time - I'll try to see if I can find the post(s) related to that situation.

Bill

• Wow 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

1 minute ago, topgun2 said:

When I get a bit of time - I'll try to see if I can find the post(s) related to that situation.

That would be interesting to know the back story, @topgun2...   In the decades we've been camping, the only theft we've experienced was perpetrated by bears and, believe it or not, monkeys - that wasn't a funny story, however!

• Like 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

• Moderators

For what its worth - in order to find the thread -

All I did was type the word "stolen" in the search bar.  This was one of the first threads to appear.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Have not heart of a travel trailer being stolen but a Buddy shared Ring video of his 20’ enclosed trailer being stolen from his driveway. Had a hitch lock and was supported by the electric tongue jack (power disabled). Video shows thieves backing to trailer, hooking safety chains to trailer and dragging it off down the road with sparks flying from the jack. Took all of 5 seconds. Trailer was never recovered. I use a tongue lock and carry good insurance. If someone wants it badly enough they will take it. 

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

Our security includes:

The hitch lock, not the BS or the pizza oven...

Screenshot2024-02-10at9_03_39AM.thumb.png.5c3e4eb8a5753b6b260a592c451054ea.png

The wheel boot (makes it more difficult for them to drag it up on a flatbed - this one is our's on our friend's AS...

Screenshot2024-02-10at9_03_55AM.thumb.png.f2c85ecb8b5844e920f8ce4fa5b5c080.png

Cheers, from Columbus NM - entering into Old Mexico after breakfast for some "shopping"...

Screenshot2024-02-10at9_09_19AM.thumb.png.fd3e87df4e48c668eb770d6951ee4363.png

OBTW:  A squadron of quail running by Casa Blanca as viewed by the forward dinette seat...

Screenshot2024-02-10at9_12_02AM.thumb.png.acb0a1c59c59d2d4ecc92630329da558.png

Cheers, amigos!

A & D

• Like 1

spacer.png

• 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs

4 hours ago, Wandering Sagebrush said:

Tasty little devils

in deed...

• Like 1

spacer.png

We also use a hitch lock as seen in MAX Burners photo above.  Proven Industries sells them without the locking Puc so that you can use the Paclock brand Puc.  Paclock gets top reviews by You Tube's LockPickingLawyer who makes his living demonstrating how quickly and easily most locks can be picked.  Paclock makes all sorts of locks, and you can get them all keyed alike.  We carry only one key that fits the hitch lock, bike locks, and other locks around the property.

Cheers, Geoff

• Like 1
  • Love 1