Faraday pouches for Tow Vehicle key fobs.

Patriot

So after listening to all of his (guy in the video) points... and considering the "how" its done by thieves;  it seems to me that the moment you take it out of that faraday pouch the signal can be picked up.   If you are at the grocery store and they pick up your key fob RF signal as soon as you take it out and use it... then they already have you even if you then hide it back in the faraday pouch.  Lock your truck up in the driveway at home and if they can do this from up to 300 feet away... then isn't this like closing the barn door AFTER the horse has already left?    If this is really such a problem it seems that the manufacturers have some responsibility to resolve this?    Insurance companies won't want to keep paying for some thing that as it turns out... wasn't really "locked" after all.   Seems to me that the convenience of an always on key fob is the culprit.

• Like 5

2022 Elite II, Hull #1097  Elli Rose 🌹 and she has the solar panels with the 390Ah lithium batteries.  Our tow vehicle is a 2019 Ford Lariat F-150 4wd, 3.5L Eco-boost, 3.55 rear end, with the Max tow package.  Elli Rose also has the street side awning and several walnut and cherry mods on the inside.

TravelMap.png.b89ef2d7bc27b1ea3b58f831ca5bd799.png

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

The same guy in the first video made a later video about securing vehicle using FOB to lock vehicle. Just tried this function by holding FOB lock button and pressing unlock button twice at same time. Cannot open the door using the door handle with the FOB in my pocket.

Going to study the operators manual to learn more about this feature, will call dealership if additional  information is not in my manual.

Edit: Just tested our 2022 Tundra sitting in the drivers seat. Locked doors with FOB holding lock button while pressing unlock button twice. The start button will not start vehicle with brake pedal pressed until unlocking vehicle with FOB.

Will learn more about this feature. Probably available  on many late model vehicles.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

2015 LE2

The function shown in the above video in the Toyota manual is the “battery save mode” that reduces FOB battery discharge and vehicle battery discharge until any key is pressed on the FOB. Our vehicle also has this as an automatic  function when the vehicle sits for more than five days and several other situations to reduce FOB battery depletion and vehicle battery depletion. 

The manual states “When battery-saving mode is set, battery depletion is minimized by stopping the electronic key from receiving radio waves.” 

It looks like as mentioned in the above video at the end using “battery save mode” function and a Faraday pouch is a good way to minimize vehicle theft. 

• Like 1

2015 LE2

Review as promised: Mission Darkness 

I just received and tested this faraday keyfob shield/pouch, it works as advertised. I could not unlock my truck or car door with each  of the respective fobs in the pouch. The pouch appears durable and  very well made from a ballistic nylon. It also has a robust nylon loop which allows for a key ring to be attached. When I lock my door on my TV or our car from the inside door armrest console I don’t use the fob. When unlocking my truck I can use the push button code on the door pillar by passing the fob. On our car we can use the physical key and not the fob to unlock the door keeping the fob signal protected. I guess at the end of the day its only $15 to protect the fob signal.  I am all in for risk mitigation. 😊

For times such as these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H1C21O2?SubscriptionId=AKIAIBX4MGJBG42TO3NQ&tag=productsbestrv144763-20&asc_source=google&asc_campaign=077&asc_refurl=https%3A%2F%2Fbestreviews.com%2Fbest-key-fob-faraday-bag&#customerReviews

IMG_0518.thumb.jpeg.4d0e91fe6a75195bfba328109162806a.jpeg

IMG_0521.jpeg

• Thanks 2
  • Like 4

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

Patriot - 

Did you try starting the truck with the fob inside the pouch?

Thanks!

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

13 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

Patriot - 

Did you try starting the truck with the fob inside the pouch?

Thanks!

Bill

Bill,

Yes, and your welcome!

IMG_0522.thumb.jpeg.6c8dcbf17efd35b06ee6c72bb543c033.jpeg

• Like 2

IMG_2879.jpeg

Sweet!  It works!

• Like 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

We use this little pouch...decent build quality.  Have tested it with our 2019 Ford FOB and it blocks signal.  Also blocks cell phone signal - so pretty good RF blocking.  The negative reviews are likely due to folks putting things in the outer (unprotected) pocket.  I have noticed there is signal leakage if the closure flap is left open.

• Like 3

SE Texas  | 2021 Elite II  Twin Bed # 927  "Lucy"  |  2019 F250 FX4 6.7

Conducted a test with our 2022 Tundra's FOB this morning. Our Faraday pouch has not arrived yet, probably later today.

Started vehicle with FOB turned on by pressing brake and start/stop button.

Turned FOB off with engine running by placing in "battery save mode" by simultaneously pressing/holding FOB lock button and pressing  unlock button twice, then drove 8 miles with no issues with FOB off.

Turned vehicle off by pressing/start stop button with FOB still off.

Tried to restart by pressing brake and start/stop button and vehicle would not restart with FOB off.

Intentionally locked FOB in vehicle using door lock button on door and doors stayed locked, vehicle did not automatically unlock doors with FOB in vehicle as long as FOB was in "battery save mode" or off.

Used Debbie's FOB to unlock vehicle, then placed her FOB back in the house to finish testing.

Placed my FOB in my pocket locking vehicle with lock button on door, could not unlock doors or tailgate with FOB still in "battery save mode" in my pocket.

There are more test I could conduct, but no extra time today. Learned I only needed the FOB to start the vehicle. Using FOB's metal key can unlock vehicle without using FOB electronically.  When FOB is in "battery save mode" it can be turned back on by pressing any FOB button.

Guessing most manufacturers have a mode similar to Toyota's "battery save mode"

• Like 2

2015 LE2

For those who have Fords, many of their FOBs have motion sensors.  After about 40 seconds, their transmitters turn off.  Sounds good unless you put your FOB in your pocket and are walking.  I tested the 40 second FOB sleep on my 2019 F250 and it does go to sleep.

However, this fails if I put the FOB in my pants pocket without using some type of Faraday cage given my walking motion keeps the transmitter from falling asleep.

Finally, just found this (oh the interwebs are just full of info LOL)...if you have bluetooth connectivity with your vehicle (say with your phone), you may want to consider turning it off.    

Just does to show what my Daddy taught me...a lock is for an honest man. 😵

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

SE Texas  | 2021 Elite II  Twin Bed # 927  "Lucy"  |  2019 F250 FX4 6.7

46 minutes ago, rideandfly said:

Learned I only needed the FOB to start the vehicle.

This is excellent information (OBTW: we have the same truck/year model) - had no idea of the FOBs intricacies...  We start the engine remotely on occasion by pressing the FOB door lock button quickly 3x and holding down on the third press.  Thanks for sharing!

• Like 2

spacer.png

• 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs

• 2 weeks later...
  • Like 1

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Patriot said:

It works as described. 

Good to hear in that mine are scheduled to arrive tomorrow.👍

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Thank you for posting this. 

I received my Faraday Mission Darkness Key fob Shields today.  They work perfectly.  Could not unlock the car.  Could not start the car with the Fob in the pouch.

I was able to fit my Rav4 Fob and 2 keys in the pouch.

• Like 2

We received ours on Wednesday - concur with the above assessments, well worth the price point... IMO

Cheers!

• Like 3

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2024 at 1:37 PM, John Dorrer said:

As far as push button starts, not sure whether Ravelco can install in these late model vehicles.

Yes,  Ravelco can be installed on late model push button start Super Duty Trucks.  

• Like 2

IMG_2879.jpeg