Leaderboard
Popular Content
Showing content with the highest reputation on 03/14/2017 in all areas
-
John, As Randy and Mike mentioned, the Zamp solar panel, as delivered, does not appear to be adjustable to facilitate tilting it to face the sun. However, I suspect you have both the skill and desire to make modifications to satisfy your need to improve the efficiency of the system. (By the way, the red streamer is a nice touch!) Although, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how well the solar gear works without any modifications! For the pending and potential owners who are more like myself, with no skills to make mechanical adjusts, the following may be helpful. I discovered getting acquainted with Ollie after delivery day takes a fair amount of time. I tried the approach of getting to fully understand each system and how it works prior to compiling my list of potential modifications. That required a series of varying field tests. Since my style of camping is boondocking, the solar system was tested extensively. (It is important to note, initially my solar gear needed minor adjustments since I was receiving inaccurate readings on the monitor. Our team, here on the Oliver Forum, got me up-and-running in no time and my field testing continued.) To make a long story short, let me cut to the chase with a few bullet points. • The solar gear as delivered with no modifications appears to be very efficient and meets all my needs for dry camping. • It will charge the batteries during overcast days. • You will need to think about your campsite and its effect on your solar panels if the panels are your only source of power. • I discovered a campsite with partial shade is OK, but one which is in deep shade due to conifers will inhibit the solar system. (I know that should have been obvious, but I like to test the obvious!) • A layer of snow on the panels will inhibit the system. (Here again, the obvious.) • I did not need to clean the panels at all during my first season of camping. I will add, I did not camp in dusty locations. When I did clean the panels, I removed a fair amount of seagull poop, which is a fact of life in my camping locations. Surprisingly, I did not notice any degradation in the efficiency of the system. • I live in New Hampshire where the sun is low during the winter months and yet the panels have been charging every day. Sweet! • With my field testing completed, I do not plan to make any modifications to the solar system. Buzzy PS – It is good to be back ????2 points
-
We have the twin bed and I sleep on the side with the TV. I never hit my head on it, but it did get in the way when changing sheets (lifting the mattress) and it prevents you from leaning against the back wall. I did move it to the middle with a flip up mount and we like it much better. There is a TV Relocation thread under Modifications. Mike2 points
-
They have a flip up TV system available, if you so choose. It mounts over the rear window and folds up flush with this ceiling. Looks really nice. They install, but want you to buy the the tv separate and drop ship to them to install. Do a search under television and you should be able to see pictures. There was quite a thread on the subject...2 points
-
Hi, welcome to the growing family of Oliver enthusiasts. At the top of the forum page is a search box. Type in ladder. It will bring up all responses in here regarding ladders. Some comments of little or no interest, but you will get a cross section of the thoughtful process others have gone through. I believe the best one we have seen is the one Randy (Try2relax) has, maybe teleflex?, it will collapse to about 24" high, extend 15', and fit in the trailer closet. It will pinch if you are not careful collapsing, but don't ask how I know...1 point
-
We've only had one day where the Solar pannels didn't fully rejuvenate the batteries so far. We were parked in the open and also driving. It was a dark and cloudy day with lots of rain and the pannels really didn't do much of anything. We had gone down to 12.4 during the night and they only took it backup a tenth all day. We have the Zamp controller and it has no adjustments on it... I prefer being able to make whatever adjustments are needed and the Zamp doesn't match the capacity gauge exactly. My plan for today is to put the multimeter on the battery and see if either of them are right. We are finally parked for a day :) There's not much to say about this controller other then it's designed for beginners. It shows you the screens and that's it. There's no simple way that I know of yet, to make changes. So the 2 volt gauges in our trailer are 2 tenths different at times. Edit - actually there's more... The controller is supposed to switch over to a regulate mode after reaching 13.6volts and ours didn't. It just kept charging at full according to the lights on the pannel until it hit 14.7volts that afternoon... I'm really not impressed with this beginners model of controller that doesn't even give you an off switch. I've got to pull the bed apart to turn it off. Really it's not a controller because it's just telling you what it's doing. As far as I know, you have no control at all... Look at the pic and see the different battery levels, the first 3 lights on the left should have lit up together at 13.6vdc and that shows that it's working properly at full charge. On our gauge here, ours has never shown fully charged yet, it stops at the next one over to the right, the 3/4 charge light. And that's where it stayed when it was showing 14.7vdc, which according to their pamphlet, means it was still on full power charging, way after the capacity was met. The good news is that the containment meter still showed 13.7... Or is that good news when the 2 gauges are now showing 1 full volt of a difference between them? I'll watch it some more today and see if we need to take it back and get it fixed or maybe they have changed their idiot lights from their own written parameters. Reed1 point
-
1 point
-
WE have the King or Standard version of Ollie and we sleep with feet facing right side of trailer, feet under TV and no problem what-so-ever. Location of TV is fine. I love my Ollie!1 point
-
I sleep with feet under tv. Reading light is on front end of bed. I have twin beds. No problems.1 point
-
The date on that photo is 2008. The mounts on Hull 69 are mounted flat on the roof, not on the curve as shown. All that said, it would be a simple mod to tilt them, a straight aluminum bar with holes on either end would do it.1 point
-
Recent Achievements
