Jump to content

Leaderboard

Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation on 04/03/2017 in Posts

  1. We're pulling the Elite II always full of water and sometimes half full of waste water with a Mercedes ML350 Bluetec Diesel 4matic or awd. The milage really varies with the speeds in different states. From Hohenwald across the USA to Virginia Beach and then back across Arizona to the California State line at 70 to75mph we averaged 15.8 mpg. Now we're back in California with 600 miles on it and we're averaging 19.4mpg at 60mph. So the tow speed really makes a difference with the Mercedes. Not towing it averages 27mpg. The Mercedes pulled like a champ even in 65mph cross winds in New Mexico and Arizona last week. No hills are too steep, and with push button posi, it does well in desert terrain with stock Firestone AT's. It has a 7200/600lb tow rating and has around 10,000+ miles of towing, so far... We upgraded from a Hummer H2 that we still use as a 4x4 tow vehicle because of comfort, age, and milage. The old 2005 H2 gets 11.5mpg when towing and 13.5 normally with 35" Nitro Trail Grappler Tires for serious off-road (35/70/R20). So we still use both vehicles, but for different terrains. I upgraded to the H2 from a 76 Chevy Silverado with the stock 350 engine that averages 6 to 8mpg towing...
    2 points
  2. I second that. They are adorable. Quality time.
    2 points
  3. My Oliver, Hull 98, was delivered in Sept. '15. It came with the drawer slides shown below. They are "soft close", "not easy open".... have had no trouble with them at all. Perhaps Oliver should return to this supplier.
    2 points
  4. Yeah, the Super Duty is really something. What's holding me back is the size. I'm just not used to a truck of any sort, and knowing that I'll have to drive it every day around town gives me pause.
    2 points
  5. Could not find the previous thread on this topic, so starting a new one. Some were having issues with the upper doors popping open while underway, and at the time I wasn't having any issues with mine. Until the last trip. One of the hinges came completely undone. You can see from the picture that there is one small screw holding each hinge to the cabinet door. The screw does not grip the door with very many threads at all. If it comes loose, the door will come out of adjustment and will either not close properly, or will close and pop open. In my case, the screw came completely out and the door was hanging by the single screw on the other hinge. I think a simple fix for this would be for Oliver to apply Loctite on the screw when they at doing the final adjustment to the doors during the install. For those awaiting there new delivery, it might be a worthwhile ask of Jason to follow up on.
    1 point
  6. Here is a very nice map showing the north part of the Trace and attractions along the way. https://www.nps.gov/natr/planyourvisit/upload/NATRmap_336_444_web-2.pdf We plan to collect our new Ollie on Monday morning, May 15, stay the night at nearby Fall Hollow, and explore the immediate area over the next two days, testing out all the systems and putting some miles on the trailer. If we need any fixes we will be close to Hohenwald. We will try to get a spot at Merriweather Lewis one night, and I do want to revisit Shiloh battlefield. It has been 45 years since I was there. Otherwise we are wide open to suggestions. What is good? What should we avoid? We won't need or want hookups other than the first night. Tishomingo State Park, just over the MS border, looks very cool. Has anyone stayed there? We have to head north to Nashville to pick up our kids at the airport on Thursday afternoon, for a weekend family reunion at Fall Creek Falls. It would be nice to follow the Trace to Nashville, my old home town. Thnks for your suggestions. John Davies Spokane WA
    1 point
  7. Whoever parked their Oliver Legacy Elite II next to Atalaya in Huntington Beach State Park in South Carolina this past week created a huge problem! We happened to be camping in the park with our little R-Pod 178 when we saw your Oliver. You weren't home, but we walked all around it. You cost us $15.00 in extra data charges while camping researching your incredibly beautiful TT! You created an obsession by both of us to learn everything we can about Olivers! Upon our return home, you have cost us hours of "productive" house work time while we try to figure out how to get one! So...whoever you are...know that when we get one...it's your fault!! Thanks a lot, fred
    1 point
  8. As I travel around in my Ollie, I meet a lot of people in campgrounds who love music festivals. I've been involved with the Iowa City Jazz Festival for many years and have booked the main stage artists for the past 6 years. This is a free outdoor festival located in downtown Iowa City. Downbeat Magazine once named the festival one of the top 10 jazz festival in the United States. If your travels will take you to this area in late-June, early-July, please stop for a few days. If you live within a day's drive, consider making this a special trip. There are many campgrounds available including a number of Corps of Engineers campgrounds near my home. Here's a link to the bios of the performers for this year's festival. http://www.summerofthearts.org/festival-menu/jazz-festival/performer-bios.aspx. Send me a message if you have any questions about the festival, campgrounds, other things to do, etc. If you aren't a jazz fan, check out the other Summer of the Arts festivals at www.summerofthearts.org.
    1 point
  9. These schematics are great! I haven't needed to replace a cord yet, but I did have an issue with sagging shades. I found the tension on the strings can be adjusted by moving a small metal shuttle that slides up or down in the channel on the side of the frame. A small Allen wrench us useful for this fix.
    1 point
  10. Used 1.5MM shade cord which is about 30% larger diameter than original cord. Cord routing in end of each shade handle: Cord routing in 90 degree portion of frame:
    1 point
  11. Springs maintain tension on the cords. Each cord is fixed and taped in place where indicated in the previous post. Cord in shade handle is not fixed allowing the handle/shade to slide up and down on the cord. Hope this helps.
    1 point
  12. Just in case. While it can be overly cautious that doesn't necessarily make it unnecessary. With all the horror stories of unregulated pressures out there, if you are gone for the day and have a bad fitting let go, I'm pretty sure the weeps in the belly would be overcome and it would fill up. Lots of good stuff down there and these would retain water faster than a .... So it's just an easy thing to turn off and on. At least that's my thinking and doing.
    1 point
  13. Had some extra time today and started making better sketches of my Ollie's shade cord routing. The following shade sketch shows the cord routing on the day and night shades. If the night shade is being threaded (shade in top of frame), the taped side of shade is positioned at the top. If the day shade is being threaded (shade in bottom of frame) the taped side of shade is positioned at the bottom. The cords from night shade are routed to the spring in the bottom of the frame. The cords from day shade are routed to the spring in the top of the frame. I'm working on additional information and will post as soon I have it. Hope this helps!
    1 point
  14. Sherry, you might consider simply changing out your Silverado's rear end differential to a . Watch the video and you can see it is better than 4x4 drive in some instances. The locking differential can be a bit "clunky" for regular driving, so I recently had an Eaton limited-slip differential put in my Taco. It helps a lot on hills where there is loose gravel present.
    1 point
  15. We have EZ Flex as well. Does not seem to have an impact.
    1 point
  16. Yes, there is a military version. I downloaded it when I bought the regular version - the military campground version is free. It will be helpful when just looking for military campgrounds. After I emailed them about the discrepancy I thought I found, I had a nice conversation with Ted. He thanked me for my input and asked that if there was anything else I noticed to let him know. I also had an email from Bill, saying the same thing. All within an hour of my first contact with them on a Sunday morning. Not bad. Mike
    1 point
  17. Sorry about your unscheduled delays, but more time with grandkids is always good... I think I see a challenge here. Just how many adorable, smiling kids can you fit in an Ollie? Happy and safe travels. Sherry
    1 point
  18. So the end of the trail is in sight :) It was supposed to be over today but... The Mercedes has been telling me that I have an emissions problem, so we stopped in Sacramento for a couple of days to get it fixed and because, this is 15 miles from where we usually get service done and Mercedes of Sacramento is owned by the same family as the one that we usually go to in Rocklin, and we have friends at both. AND... there was a huge wreck on the freeway and we didn't feel like sitting in miles of stopped traffic on a Sunday when there was a nice Park close by with full hook ups. While they service our car, they give us a loaner, so we will see what kind of Mercedes we will be driving tomorrow for a day or 2 :) We spent the night last night in the apartment complex where our son and his family live, so we had a chance to visit some of the family and snap a few pics with the grand kids :) Going 6 high isn't recommended on these Camco blocks, but that's because they're used on real heavy trailers also. For a few thousand pounds on one side, I'd feel safe going 8 high if needed but the 6 high here is about the most I've ever used at one time. We're almost home :)
    1 point
  19. Well that certainly is of piqued interest. If you come up with a few thoughts and guesses let us know. I'm curious if the full length hinge and it's installation might have something to do with it. On another thought, in your travels will you be anywhere near the factory? With this and the potential frame twisting you've mentioned in the other threads, I think I might request a thorough in depth inspection of the entire frame structure, if anywhere close to being close by.
    1 point
  20. "Then look up at the bathroom door… Nothing out of place with the towel behind as a cushion… We can’t figure out how the mirror cracked… The door was locked closed, nothing was out of place… Only the usual road bumps… And then we find the drawer open and a cracked mirror door… Time to duct tape the mirror for today ????" I am sorry the drawer issue is continuing. I have been looking at childproof drawer locks online but hope Oliver can come up with a better solution. I wonder if something could have hit your mirror the first time the drawers came out and weakened it. Sort of like a pebble hitting your windshield and not causing a running crack until later down the road.... Based on GreyGhost's experience, I guess I will be applying loctite to the upper cabinet screws. It is probably a good practice to apply Loctite to most screw in travel trailers anyway. I can't count all the "mystery" screws I have found on the floor in our campers through the years ???? Yvonne
    1 point
  21. Thanks GG, I will check all of ours and then get back to the thread. We had another drawer open again today on the 2 hour ride up to Sacramento. It opened up an inch and it's the second time on this drawer below the sponge door in front of the sink... Then look up at the bathroom door... Nothing out of place with the towel behind as a cushion... We can't figure out how the mirror cracked... The door was locked closed, nothing was out of place... Only the usual road bumps... And then we find the drawer open and a cracked mirror door... Time to duct tape the mirror for today :)
    1 point
  22. Thanks for the tip on this app. I also downloaded the military version. I thought I found an error on one of the Texas state parks and I emailed the developer - within 30 minutes I had a reply and an explanation. The app was right and he explained where to look for the info I thought was missing. Good support and worth the $3.99. Mike
    1 point
  23. With longer screws into the face the drawers are doing good so far but it's too soon to tell. We were in Albuquerque, NM driving on pavement when ours came out. It was a paved washboard... The short screws just can't handle rough roads at all, even in town. Blum sells them with these screws, Oliver just needs to throw them away and put in their own longer screws in and fill the holes. That should solve the problem :) Our Magma's are up top also. Edit: If you're going to be on Forest Service roads a lot, then I would brace them with the table cushions, etc. The drawer slides will hold the weight on them really well, but those Blum Catches in the front won't handle really rough roads. I'm going to use a collapsible shower rod backed with our cutting board to hold a cushion in place over the front of them. I've had the lift style drawers in other RV's but I really like these and can work with them easy enough. I'm not driving this over the Rubicon by any means, but I will be hitting the back side of it in different spots. My old Jeep made it over the Rubicon 16 times, the last being back in the 80's, then I walked it as a boy scout before that... Of course Great Granny beat us all over that trail in that covered wagon...
    1 point
  24. Yvonne, your Magma set will store very nicely in any of the overhead cabinets. We store ours in the one right over the cook-tops. It fits perfectly thru the opening and I recommend you store it as far forward as possible so that it will not slide during braking.
    1 point
  25. Fred, Welcome! It was not us!!!! Same thing happened when we saw an Oliver while camping at Mt. Pisgah NC on the Blue Ridge Parkway around 2010. Finally purchased a used 2015 Ollie last year. If you have a chance, go on a factory tour to see the build process and meet the fine folks at Oliver TT. There will be an Oliver TT rally next May in TN, too. Hopefully meet y'all while camping in North & South Carolina! Best Regards,
    1 point
  • Recent Achievements

    • ERIC B earned a badge
      One Month Later
    • joman earned a badge
      One Year In
    • KJSmith earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • KJSmith earned a badge
      One Month Later
    • KJSmith earned a badge
      One Year In
    • carpenter went up a rank
      Apprentice
    • Powderkeg11 earned a badge
      One Year In
    • annasteve earned a badge
      First Post
    • CB1735 earned a badge
      One Month Later
    • Kindiogami earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • Kindiogami earned a badge
      One Month Later
    • Kindiogami earned a badge
      One Year In
    • annasteve earned a badge
      Reacting Well
    • Gene G. earned a badge
      One Year In
    • CB1735 earned a badge
      Collaborator
    • annasteve earned a badge
      Conversation Starter
    • GregCA earned a badge
      Collaborator
    • FirstApex earned a badge
      Dedicated
    • Aaron Wolters earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • DBL-R went up a rank
      Explorer
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information