Exterior 12v access!

48 minutes ago, John Dorrer said:

Is it possible to convert one of the two 110 exterior plugs to 12v? 

For the most part - everything is possible...  Just let your imagination and engineering skills mesh!  HA!  

But seriously, it would be a cleaner mod, IMO, to leave the AC outlet as is - acquire a weatherproof outlet like one described in this thread, and install where you think you'll use it based on your personal camping style and needs...

Actually, it might be cool to have both a 12vDC socket and a couple USB ports for charging access out of doors:

Screenshot2024-04-28at8_23_11AM.thumb.png.a0664c9649995b506702dd32d1ad203a.png

Edited by MAX Burner
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators

This whole discussion reminds me of sitting across from Anita when I was "designing" my Oliver.  I told her that I wanted a 12 volt port located right next to the 110 port on the curbside.  

Anita said, "what for" ?  I replied that it would be useful for a number of things such as my air pump used for adjusting air pressure in the tires.  Anita said, "why don't you simply slide back the window screen and use the 12 volt outlet in the kitchen"?  Part of me had to agree that her approach made financial sense.  But, I convinced her to place this request on the order and I'd guess that in now going into the 9th year I've actually used that 12 volt outlet maybe 6 times.

But, ya simply gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes.

Bill

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

3 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

It might not even matter, depending on what you plan to use it for. 

Highly recommend using a polarized plug.  One never knows who is going to plug what into that outlet.  With a polarized plug, the clue less will pause and ask (hopefully) before causing issues for your trailer's electrical by not knowing....

Idiot proof it and live well knowing what you now that they don't.  🙂

GJ

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
On 4/28/2024 at 12:20 PM, topgun2 said:

But, I convinced her to place this request on the order and I'd guess that in now going into the 9th year I've actually used that 12 volt outlet maybe 6 times.

We've used ours a lot, over the years. The 12v plug was standard issue in 2008, mounted under the eyebrow over the lower fridge vent, with a waterproof cap.

Charging phones and lights, running a small 12v fridge, the tire inflator, and especially helpful in certain seasons to run a FanTastic small 12v box fan to blow the gnats away, it's been very helpful.

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
On 4/27/2024 at 12:48 AM, Geronimo John said:

Also  "Wired straight to the batteries" is something to ponder upon.  Suggest having an inline  fuse on all inputs/outputs.  Just for safety grins.

On 4/27/2024 at 8:52 PM, ScubaRx said:

The negative side should run through the shunt rather than to the batteries.

On 4/26/2024 at 6:00 PM, mossemi said:

wired straight to the batteries

I am sorry if the brevity of my response to @rich.dev's post concerning a CC installation inside a OTT for a ground deployed solar array caused any confusion.  It’s my "failure to communicate", a partial quote shamelessly stolen from Captain.

In an attempt to clarify my response, my external Furrion solar port is wired with10 AWG wire and a 10A fuse inline on the B+ path to the battery bank and the 10 AWG wire for the B- terminates at a negative busbar prior to a Victron shunt on it's way to the battery bank.  If I didn’t have a shunt, the B- would go straight to the battery bank.

Mossey

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• 2 weeks later...

I mounted a led light whip to the front storage basket for “flair” but most importantly for ease of finding my way back to the Ollie in the desert at night. The whip is only 4’ tall but it displays strobing multi-colors so it makes for a nice homing beacon. To power its 12v power needs I built a 12v power source inside a small Harbor Freight “Pelican” case using a female 7 pin plug into which I plug my trailer’s male 7 pin plug (I wired the 12v and ground to a fused 12v female lighter socket and female usb combo).  Works great for powering 12v devices and the led whip from outside and at the front of the Ollie. 

C6B3759B-50E8-4291-BE89-53B1D91D8538.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

5 minutes ago, Mountainman198 said:

I mounted a led light whip to the front storage basket for “flair” but most importantly for ease of finding my way back to the Ollie in the desert at night. The whip is only 4’ tall but it displays strobing multi-colors so it makes for a nice homing beacon. To power its 12v power needs I built a 12v power source inside a small Harbor Freight “Pelican” case using a female 7 pin plug into which I plug my trailer’s male 7 pin plug (I wired the 12v and ground to a fused 12v female lighter socket and female usb combo).  Works great for powering 12v devices and the led whip from outside and at the front of the Ollie. 

C6B3759B-50E8-4291-BE89-53B1D91D8538.jpeg

A bit off topic, but the spring-mounted LED whip alerted me to a broken leaf spring when it started swaying from side to side. A bonus, unintended consequence of its installation

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

3 hours ago, Mountainman198 said:

A bit off topic, but the spring-mounted LED whip alerted me to a broken leaf spring when it started swaying from side to side. A bonus, unintended consequence of its installation

And now we know the reason for the Made in USA Leaf Spring thread, now 15 pages and counting! 🤣 Thank you, and I truly mean it.

• Like 2

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

...and another one's down, another one's down, another one bites the dust!  Hey, hey, hey"  Lyrics from some random song from the '70's?

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

30 minutes ago, MAX Burner said:

...and another one's down, another one's down, another one bites the dust!  Hey, hey, hey"  Lyrics from some random song from the '70's?

What a legend, was and still is my favourite artist! 

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison