TBOM (The Boss Of Me, also known as The Bride) and I were strongly considering buying a new Oliver, and reached out to the dealer here in Oregon.  In addition to finding them pleasant and helpful folks, I was shocked at what I considered to be a very good deal on a new LE II.  I may be kicking myself for not purchasing, but I couldn’t justify spending the money.  Especially since we like our 2018 LE II so much.

If you’re thinking about upgrading, now might be the time.

• Like 6
  • Wow 1

Hull #364 - The Roadrunner 

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

ALAKAZARCACOFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMSMO

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory

JFTR:  Considering all the mods and upgrades we've made to our 2017 model, it would be cost-prohibitive to buy a new Ollie with the capabilities designed/engineered into ours...  I'm thinking we'll stick with Hull #226, Casablanca, for the duration, even though it might be a good time to upgrade...  We've got Casablanca where we want it.  

That's one of the key attributes of the Oliver Travel Trailer - except for a few minor design modifications since early days, its basically the same super-tough RV that Jim Oliver started with -- no reason to swap out, IMO.

Roll-on!  Cheers!

A & D

• Like 5

Smallmap.png.d17a029e6120e02125f6c41a599aa915.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

• Moderators

Did you ask about any trade in value of yours?  Might be interesting to know.  I’m with Art, ours is nicely broken in and has become our second home.  MIke

• Like 6

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Art, that’s kinda where I’m at, too.  There are a couple of things I’d like to upgrade, but don’t really need to, which is why I decided to not purchase a new LE II. 

• Like 5

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

3 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

Did you ask about any trade in value of yours?  Might be interesting to know.  I’m with Art, ours is nicely broken in and has become our second home.  MIke

Mike, we didn’t get as far as what kind of a trade in value our trailer would bring (and I would probably never do that), but he did look up what a bank would be willing to loan.   Like you and Art mentioned, our trailer is well broken in, and I like it.

The thought of a complete Truma system, a big Lithium battery bank, and never lube axles is tempting, but in the end was not worth the kerfluffle to go new.

• Like 4

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

On 5/5/2024 at 2:28 PM, Wandering Sagebrush said:

and never lube axles is tempting,

Tempting for sure!  Upgrading to the 5.2k# Nev-R-Lubes this week in Hohenwald...  Nice match with the Alcans.  Will send updated posting of the process later this week for those interested.

• Like 6

• 2022 TUNDRA

5 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

Tempting for sure!  Upgrading to the 5.2k# Nev-R-Lubes this week in Hohenwald...  Nice match with the Alcans.  Will send updated posting of the process later this week for those interested.

Please do keep us in the loop.

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

Posted (edited)
On 5/5/2024 at 1:10 PM, MAX Burner said:

JFTR:  Considering all the mods and upgrades we've made to our 2017 model, it would be cost-prohibitive to buy a new Ollie with the capabilities designed/engineered into ours...  I'm thinking we'll stick with Hull #226, Casablanca, for the duration, even though it might be a good time to upgrade...  We've got Casablanca where we want it.  

That's one of the key attributes of the Oliver Travel Trailer - except for a few minor design modifications since early days, its basically the same super-tough RV that Jim Oliver started with -- no reason to swap out, IMO.

Roll-on!  Cheers! A & D

Agree 100% and Art @MAX Burner has invested more upgrades than we have to date. Those of us here who do our own M&R and mod work can do well with sweat equity in these hulls that are 98% the same, as the newer hulls add some age. And I fully agree with @Mike and Carol, as ours too is "nicely broken in."

Just got back from our 5th trip in 11 months. We don't have near the miles or days out as many of you and ours will continue to be for occasional use. We just got back from our biggest trip to-date, a whole 17 days! 🤣 Everything we needed was present and working. 

Reading all the repair and mod posts, since we joined the forum, I feel many of the newer hulls have more issues than what we have experienced. This is likely due to the care from past owners. Our 8-year-old Oliver had made it back to OTT in 2018 and 2020 for considerable work (new blinds, new furnace, Dexter EZ-Flex, new tires, and much more). Ours also has a lot of options that add a lot to a new purchase (solar package and more). We can't afford a new one in many ways!

Edited by jd1923
Added "Everything we needed was present and working."
  • Like 2

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

So, we're working with Jason at OTT Sales and Service to see if OTT can get us in on Friday for the fresh water tank mod which requires the use of a set of specialized tools that I don't have - but they do.  If the planets align themselves correctly over the next few days, we'll have the FWT mod configured such that we'll be able to access virtually all the water in the tank.  As of now, we can get all but about 5 or 6 gallons out - if we tilt the nose up, we can get another gallon or so.

Point being is that on short notice, i.e., Monday last, Jason did his best to make room for us by the end of the week.  That's responsiveness in my book, we don't see that a lot these days.  Even if it doesn't work out - his and his team's efforts trying to make it happen is clearly first-class, IMO.

Gotta love these guys and gals here in Hohenwald...

• Like 7
  • Love 1

• 2022 TUNDRA

16 minutes ago, MAX Burner said:

So, we're working with Jason at OTT Sales and Service to see if OTT can get us in on Friday for the fresh water tank mod which requires the use of a set of specialized tools that I don't have - but they do.  If the planets align themselves correctly over the next few days, we'll have the FWT mod configured such that we'll be able to access virtually all the water in the tank.  As of now, we can get all but about 5 or 6 gallons out - if we tilt the nose up, we can get another gallon or so...

I had no idea of such a mod! Is there a thread about it here? I've seen most threads, but I admit I do not read the OTT Service threads (perhaps I should), since our hull is well out of warranty and I'm not able to go to OTT for service.

We get 20 gallons max out of our FWT. Thank goodness we have a 35g fresh tank in the bed of our TV and refilling via the winterizing port is painless with the electric motorized valve upgrade.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, jd1923 said:

I had no idea of such a mod! Is there a thread about it here? I've seen most threads, but I admit I do not read the OTT Service threads (perhaps I should), since our hull is well out of warranty and I'm not able to go to OTT for service.

There is a thread on the fresh tank mod, I think John Davies started it 6 or 7 years ago.  All of the older trailers had an issue with getting the majority of water out of the tank, like you are having.  Jason and his team upgraded ours when I went back to have the Dexter added.  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

13 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

All of the older trailers had an issue with getting the majority of water out of the tank, like you are having.

Right on, Mike.  100%.

Turns out that the demand connection fitting from the FWT to the water pump isn't low enough and with a level trailer leaves a goodly amount of water in the tank when it starts sucking air.  

The fix is done a couple ways - the OTT fix is a plastic thread weld on top of the tank with a fitting for a feed tube/filter & screen right straight down to the tank's lowest level.  

John's fix was coming in from the side and using the existing tank penetration and a similar feed tube/& screen that's positioned on the bottom of the tank - both are different solutions to the same issue.

How sweet it will be to access 95%+ of the tanks volume of water when boon docking, right?

Just keep those planets aligned for Friday... HA!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

• 2022 TUNDRA

My solution, again... although we will consider other options! A more recent picture would show that I installed a tank cover, using an inexpensive BBQ grill cover to keep the UV rays off the tank and the water...

Tank Rear Storage.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jd1923 said:

I had no idea of such a mod! Is there a thread about it here?

Yup here’s the thread from John E Davies on the fresh water tank suction tube mod. 

• Thanks 1

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

• Moderators

Actually - 

The original design of the mod that Oliver uses for the fresh water tank was done by a former owner - Raspy.

His design is actually fairly simple provided that you have the correct tools - and - know how to use them.  The repair in the hands of someone who has done the repair before only takes a few minutes (its called spin welding). JD's repair was primarily based on the fact that he was loath to even think about returning to a location east of the Mississippi River and he (as many others) didn't have the tools and/or skill level to spin weld.

As I recall - Raspy was given an award by Oliver for his design.  Only a couple of these awards have ever been given by the Company (I believe that another one of these few is our very own ScubaRx).

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, jd1923 said:

As of now, we can get all but about 5 or 6 gallons out - if we tilt the nose up, we can get another gallon or so...

Exactly!  We also always park Ollie a bit nose high to:

• Keep the Refer door closing vs. free swinging to a hinge lock out.
  • Allow the Houghton over roof drainage to mostly miss the street side rear window.
  • I need shoulder room so sleep head forward.  I also like to sleep up hill.  

Even if you are hyper vigilant with water sources, stuff will accumulate in any fresh water tank.  Especially if boondocking,  or using well, or rain water.   I have alwlays considered the last 4 or 5 gallons of fresh water in the tank as the "Sludge Zone".  It was designed with an elevated pump draw tube.  This is a standard "Good Engineering Practice" for all freshwater tanks.   So for some of us getting those last 4 or 5 gallons would result in getting "Stuff" into our fresh water distribution systems. 

But for ALL of us, regardless if you do or do not do the mod, it is extremely important that you filter every drop of water you onboard.  Even if you only fill out of your special home tap. Not doing so will result in silt and other "Stuff" accumulating in your tank. 

Now here is where I'll stir the pot:  We all are aware that the drain port on these tanks is way too small for effective flushing.  So if I were to choose a FWT mod, for a new trailer, it would have OTT put a 1" drain line in, and not mess with the draw tube design.

GJ

UPDATED:  Spoke with experienced OTT Tech's and Art:  The Fresh Water Tank is a PITA to get out.  So the recommendation should say that for new trailers, a larger drain port and valve would make a lot of good sense.

Edited by Geronimo John
  • Love 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• Moderators
13 hours ago, jd1923 said:

Do they still retrofit this at their cost?

As far as I know - the answer is yes.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

18 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

Right on, Mike.  100%.

Turns out that the demand connection fitting from the FWT to the water pump isn't low enough and with a level trailer leaves a goodly amount of water in the tank when it starts sucking air.  

The fix is done a couple ways - the OTT fix is a plastic thread weld on top of the tank with a fitting for a feed tube/filter & screen right straight down to the tank's lowest level.  

John's fix was coming in from the side and using the existing tank penetration and a similar feed tube/& screen that's positioned on the bottom of the tank - both are different solutions to the same issue.

How sweet it will be to access 95%+ of the tanks volume of water when boon docking, right?

Just keep those planets aligned for Friday... HA!

I just had my freshwater tank intake plumbing out while trying to identify a pressure loss issue. On my 2022, this is 1/2" PVC that bends inside the tank at is cut at a 45 degree angle and as @MAX Burner stated enters the tank though a threaded fitting. I did not see a screen on the end when I had it out. Maybe mine has fallen off?

• Thanks 1

2022 Oliver Elite II Hull#1047 "Saunter"

2014 VW Touareg TDI

ALAKAZCOILINIAKSMIMONENVNMNCOHSCTNTXUTWV

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, DaveAndBecky_NorthernMI said:

I did not see a screen on the end when I had it out. Maybe mine has fallen off?

If you are referring to the end of the pipe that is inside the fresh water tank and is used for pickup then I don't think that there is supposed to be one in that location.  The screen in/on the water pump takes care of that issue.

Bill

• Like 2

2 hours ago, topgun2 said:

As far as I know - the answer is yes. Bill

Well maybe then... We need to head east for the 2025 Oliver Trailer Rally. I could make that service appointment well ahead of time, swing by CGI to get our gelcoat back in shape and meet so many of you great eastern members!

Being old-school as I am, I try not to leave the property until I lined up 3-4 errands to do in series. Hoping that would rub off on wife and son for years, still hoping. So now I have at least 3 reasons for making that very long mile trip!

I'd be OK in the meantime using our 35-gal backup water in the TV which in the current state of our FWT refills it twice. We get about 55 gallons total. I could not do it without the motorized water valve mod (not lifting beds). With TV detached, you only need a 10' hose. I use a 10' plus a 25' when attached.

1 hour ago, DaveAndBecky_NorthernMI said:

I did not see a screen on the end when I had it out.

Good news:  No screen to clog.

Bad news:  With no screen sediment and "Stuff" will be sucked up into your system.  Resulting in low water pressure and at times no flow due to sediment, plastic from MFG, and some plastic from OTT as they install plumbing.  

GJ

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg