Black Tank Will Not Drain

June 13, 2024

My black tank is FULL and will not drain!

Since the outside Black Tank valve stem handle was pulled outward to open and it will not drain, I opened both the valve under the Dinette sink and the outside black tank valve handle but the black tank still will not drain.  Does this mean I need to replace the outside valve?  If yes, is anyone aware of a video on how to DIY this outside Black Tank valve?  If DIY is not recommended, does anyone know of a reputable RV Mechanic in Pinellas County, Florida?  I did call M. Sharpe of Oliver but while troubleshooting on the phone, the phone hung up.  I called back and left a voicemail and waiting to hear back.  Oliver Saleswoman said Oliver is having issues with their email system since I have not been hearing back from e-mails to M. Sharpe from last week.

If anyone can provide any information on this situation, this would be helpful!

Thank you everyone!

KJ

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory

Couple of quick orientation questions:

Model / Hull Number / Year ?

Does the grey tank drain if you open  it? (Try to close the black first.)

Have you followed the cable as far as you can from the handle on the outside under the seats? Does it appear kinked or crimped? Is it free of obstructions?

Can you confirm that the valve is actually opening? If not, can you open it by hand?

Full disclosure - I have more experience with LE I than II, we just picked up our II this week. But hopefully if you put the answers to these questions in the thread smarter people than me can help.

Current: 2023 Oliver Elite II - Hull #1364 "Reset 2.0" (Second Owner)
Tow Vehicle: 2023 Ford F-150 XLT 3.5L EcoBoost /w 3.55 axle and Max Tow Package "SIlver"
Original: 2022 Oliver Elite I - Hull #1030 "Reset" (For Sale)
Original Tow Vehicle: 2022 Subaru Ascent "Blue Moose"
Home Base: Duncanville, TX

spacer.png

• Moderators

The black tank valve gate is under the dinette seat closest to the bath.  I’ve replaced mine.  You should be able to lift the gate from the top to open it.  Check to ensure the cable is still firmly attached.  I can’t imagine a blockage big enough to stop all flow.  

It’s also a good idea to remove the cable from the trailer to clean and lube it.  It’s held in place by one set screw on top of the valve.  Just loosen and pull it out at the basement location.  After you get it clean and lubed just insert it back in and push it up to the valve under the dinette.

Mike

• Like 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

16 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

Just loosen and pull it out at the basement location.  After you get it clean and lubed just insert it back in and push it up to the valve under the dinette.

Mike,

Do you just loosen the set screw and slowly pull the cable out through it's sheathing using the handle at the rear panel?  Then clean/lube and reinsert?  What lube did you use?  Mine is pretty tough to operate.

Thanks much,

John

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

• Moderators
1 hour ago, johnwen said:

Mike,

Do you just loosen the set screw and slowly pull the cable out through it's sheathing using the handle at the rear panel?  Then clean/lube and reinsert?  What lube did you use?  Mine is pretty tough to operate.

Thanks much,

John

John, yes that’s it.  I loosen the set screw and then pull the cable all the way out with the handle.  I used WD40 to clean it and then added a light coat of grease, don’t remember exactly what grease, probably white lithium that I had on hand.  I’ve done this twice since 2016 and it keeps things working smoothly.  It’s probably time to do it again before we head to Colorado/Utah next month.  The first time I did it Steve Landrum talked me through it after I was complaining that the cable was hard to pull.  The gray tank cable is shorter, but the technique is the same!  Mike

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

16 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

Steve Landrum

Mike...thanks!  We just left Steve on Monday from the Maine rally.  With Mossemi and Steve next door, and help from Kevin on my Xantrex, I came away with an unbelievable amount of info concerning all things Oliver :)

Was the cable difficult to push back through to the valve?

Edited by johnwen
  • Like 4

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, johnwen said:

Mike...thanks!  We just left Steve on Monday from the Maine rally.  With Mossemi and Steve next door, and help from Kevin on my Xantrex, I came away with an unbelievable amount of info concerning all things Oliver 🙂

John, sounds like you were surrounded by THE experts!

4 hours ago, johnwen said:

Was the cable difficult to push back through to the valve?

It wasn’t difficult, just took it slow and pushed it in with steady pressure.  Good luck!

Hope the Maine rally went well, I think we’ll try to make it back up to Maine for a future rally, beautiful state.  Mike

Edited by Mike and Carol
  • Like 4

@NomadLife, if all the above do not work (the valve under the dinette is definitely open but the tank still doesn't drain) you may have a "black pyramid." This is when solid wastes block the outflow pipe. The solution is usually unpleasant: running a snake up the drain to dislodge the blockage, thus releasing all that black tank goodness back down the pipe at you. 🤮 

For reference, to prevent black pyramids always include plenty of water when you flush solids (a full bowl), use RV toilet paper sparingly, no wipes/feminine products in the toilet, only dump when the tank is at least 2/3 full, and never leave the black tank valve open when at a campsite with sewer. You want lots of fluid to move the solids down the pipe. Otherwise, they can accumulate in the tank and solidify.

• Like 5

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

On 6/13/2024 at 7:13 AM, Mike and Carol said:

I can’t imagine a blockage big enough to stop all flow.  

So true, when used with ample water per flush and not stored with solids. When you flush the back, it should be refilled a couple times until the drain water is clear.

4 hours ago, Steph and Dud B said:

The solution is usually unpleasant: running a snake up the drain to dislodge the blockage, thus releasing all that black tank goodness back down the pipe at you. 🤮

If you are CERTAIN the valve is open, yes this is the next step, YUK. I would try connecting the black drain at a dump station and snake from the toilet down. This is less messy, but you need professional snake tools to push through solids make the 90 and locate the 3" hole at the bottom back of the tank.

Try calling local septic companies! And before they refuse this kind of job, offer to pay a premium for their help. They have the tools. They also have drain hoses that produce suction. Sorry @NomadLife for your cr@ppy situation.

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

On 6/14/2024 at 2:22 AM, Steph and Dud B said:

if all the above do not work (the valve under the dinette is definitely open but the tank still doesn't drain) you may have a "black pyramid." This is when solid wastes block the outflow pipe. The solution is usually unpleasant: running a snake up the drain to dislodge the blockage, thus releasing all that black tank goodness back down the pipe at you. 🤮 

In my SOB previous camper, I had a B.P.  A friend suggested your approach and I learned just how fast S*it can travel.  Definitely needed a change of cloths.

Instead, pop three or four dishwasher pods into the tank and take it out for a bumpy twisty turney road for 20 miles.  Then try again.  I'll bet it works.... Unless your B.P. is ancient, like from last year.  The refer to Steph's approach.  But be faster than I was.............

Edited by Geronimo John
  • Like 2
  • Wow 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

On 6/13/2024 at 8:57 AM, NomadLife said:

If anyone can provide any information on this situation, this would be helpful!

I do recall an owner or two having issue with the hole cutout being left in the black tank and causing a blockage and/or preventing the gate valve from closing. 

• Like 1

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt, Hughes Autoformer, dual Lagun tables

3 hours ago, Ronbrink said:

I do recall an owner or two having issue with the hole cutout being left in the black tank and causing a blockage and/or preventing the gate valve from closing. 

It's hard to believe installers do this, yet they do. It's sooooo LAZY to leave the plug in the tank. When the tank is new and dry and all they have to do is reach in and remove the cut-out. Just NO work-ethic. This happened on the gray tank in our Bigfoot. The only way it would drain, prior to major surgery, was to drive down an AZ dirt road with the gray valve open. You can see it emptying upon acceleration. I would not suggest this with the black drain! Try @Geronimo John's suggestion, then call the septic company, unless you want all the black on you and your property.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

@NomadLife what's your progress? I'm up to my eyes in brown with anticipation! 🤣 Anybody else want to know how this one turns out?

• Like 2