Solar Panel Knob FELL OFF- that Secure's Panel

This last Boondocking Trip to New Mexico started with taking my Telesteps Ladder and cleaning off the Solar Panels, as usual. I snug up ALL the knob screws securing the panels as I clean. I do this every time we leave home in Boulder City, Nevada.

The fourth day of camping in the Gila National Forest New Mexico for agates, Nancy was walking along the road, watching for low hanging pine branches.  Our usual routine, when on a narrow Forest Service Road.  As we soon found an nice campsite, she noticed the Solar Panel on the Driver's side front... was flopping?  I stopped and the Knob to secure the Panel... was missing.

I snug them up every trip before we leave, and anytime I suspect I need to clean off dust while camped.  😞  How could that happen?  This should never happen.

I read about someone else on the Oliver Forum who lost a Knob.  Well, we did as well thinking that was rather odd.  How it backed out... it is a mystery.

I always carry a good selection of bolts, nuts, washers, locking washers and nuts.  I found TWO bolts in my carton, that had the fine threads, and managed to make a FIX on the spot.  I will keep MY replacement.  It worked.  This post is to alert anyone with Solar Panels to snug these Knobs up, while wiping down the Solar Panel clean.  I am detail orientated and so is Nancy. This surprised Nancy and myself.  If it happened ONCE to ME... it could happen to anyone.

Of course, I have my camera with me all the time.  I add them for your entertainment. The best part of this story, there was NO Solar Panel damage, but without the Telestep Ladder, I would have had to stack milk crates onto the tail gate of my F350 to secure the Panel. Be prepared for anything... and sometimes... anything occurs.

If you see any Knob Missing... the panel drops several inches downward.  The nut with fine threads was still welded and not damaged. Strange things can happen, but this was so odd... I took some photographs to show it did happen and can happen to you.  The End.

DSCN1391.jpg

DSCN1394.jpg

DSCN1395.jpg

DSCN1397.jpg

DSCN1403.jpg

DSCN1399.jpg

• Thanks 3
  • Like 3

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators

I believe that it was John Davies who did a post a few years ago concerning this very subject.

As I recall, he encouraged everyone to "safety wire" these such they could not loosen.

Bill

p.s.  pool noodles make for great "bumpers" such that the ladder doesn't scratch the side of the Ollie.

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

17 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

I believe that it was John Davies who did a post a few years ago concerning this very subject.

As I recall, he encouraged everyone to "safety wire" these such they could not loosen.

.....and here's the post from John Davies

• Like 2

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

I use zip ties and they have worked well for the last 4 years. Absolutely zero issues with loose knobs. I inspect them regularly and so far all good. I think @ScubaRx recommended just using a new bolt and nyloc nut and you never need to worry about loose solar panel knobs again.

• Like 4

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR”

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

A little thread-lock on the bolts. I checked mine last year and they're not movin'.

• Like 2

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

whoops - was posting John Davies' post on this...saw it was already reported...LOL - slow reader here!

Edited by Jim and Frances
Saw link was already posted.

SE Texas  | 2021 Elite II  Twin Bed # 927  "Lucy"  |  2019 F250 FX4 6.7

1 minute ago, Jim and Frances said:

whoops - was posting John Davies' post on this...saw it was already reports...LOL - slow reader here!

Zip ties allow me to just look up and see that nothing has changed at a glance. 👍🏻

• Like 5

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

I carry bailing wire as a temporary fix for anyrhing needing some emergency 'repair'.  I have zip ties, of so many colors and lengths, they will decompose  from age and also not good with sharp edges.

My Mom, forty years ago, bought me a massive amount of Sears' bolts, nuts, washers, screws package and wing nuts for Xmas.  I was the fix it guy in the family.  Still using them. Carry a little of each in the Oliver, as well.  I needed a fine threaded screw, two washers and a wing nut for the Knob that fell off the Solar Panel mounting bracket last week. I had it and did not need the Bailing Wire. A ladder helped, as well.

We travel with tools, hardware and his & her shovels... for Off the Grid traveling.  You do not need them... until you DO.  If you have the tools and hardware, chance are you will never need them.  But... when you do... it is too late to reconsider. Carry some odds and ends, some tools, and even a battery operated Tire Pressure unit.  We Off the Grid and have no Cell Service and no FM radio stations in the Oliver.

You do not need anything... until you do. When you do... you are in doo doo land.

DSCN0673.jpg

• Like 5

4 hours ago, BoondockingAirstream said:

I have zip ties, of so many colors and lengths, they will decompose  from age and also not good with sharp edges.

I have had no issue with decomposition or cutting of my zip ties in 4 years post install. I do inspect them regularly when I wash our Oliver so far all good. Another reason for zip ties is most wire will usually rust. Rust stains eventually land on the roof. I suppose SS wire might work.

Edited by Patriot

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

On 6/17/2024 at 6:43 PM, topgun2 said:

This is one of the first mods I made after bringing my new Ollie home. Drilled the knobs and installed zip-ties. Easy visual inspection to see of panels are still secured before hitting the road. They have not moved a mm since day 1. 

thanks John Davies

• Thanks 1

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, rideadeuce said:

T-knob replacement link:

Gee!  I wonder what is the purpose of those lock washers?😇

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

24 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

If mine were to ever loosen (they are likely nicely tight now from some internal corrosion), I would match the thread and replace with automotive Grade 5 bolts. Torque them per the bolt size with thread-locker on them and forget about them going forward. T-bolts are designed to remove easily, but these are fixed panels.

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

4 hours ago, topgun2 said:

****** If I could have found the Knob and Lock Washer, I would not have needed to fabricate something that will stay secure.  Time will tell.  Some unlucky vehicle may find the Knob stuck into their tire, remove it, and build an Oliver Elite II. ???  "For the want of a knob, the Oliver was lost."

• Haha 2