12v USB-C socket upgrade

Finally got around to upgrading the 12v sockets to USB-C 65W for charging iPads and MacBook. This socket also has an On/OFF button so you don't have to stare at blue lights with the cap off. Cap also closes securely much easier. It is the little things. 

Amazon link: https://a.co/d/01MrDdX7

71yGNInIsJL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.2e1c63de876fb0969a95fdbb0b9b0d00.jpg71yGNInIsJL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.2e1c63de876fb0969a95fdbb0b9b0d00.jpgIMG_8740.thumb.jpg.6fe19d36af8f6ba68f754f255b92cc81.jpgIMG_8738.thumb.jpg.e86b4fd1c6203941187529194de0f373.jpgIMG_8741.thumb.jpg.1e10eecd05392cd6c2ed629c1b4f86cb.jpgIMG_8742.thumb.jpg.be438ca535c77149ea33dad8916ba092.jpgIMG_8743.thumb.jpg.b0ad366cde8dad945fcf8788529d528a.jpgIMG_8744.thumb.jpg.90357047d10d523488a34e0b0c120fbe.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Like 5

- Mike

Nashville, TN

2018 Elite II - Spirit of Adventure Hull #308  - Toyota Tundra 

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
2 hours ago, rideadeuce said:

This socket also has an On/OFF button so you don't have to stare at blue lights with the cap off.

Thanks Mike, for sharing this. I’m buying two on your recommendation. Love the USB-C for fast charging! I always cut the caps off these outlets prior to install, like I already did to the ones in our Oliver that we use. Not enough time in my day to fiddle with these caps unless it’s on a boat or my side-by-side necessary to keep the dirt out!

• Like 2

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

10 hours ago, jd1923 said:

I’m buying two on your recommendation.

Same here.  We're getting 2, also.  We've got iPads, iPhones, and MacBooks - no more "wall warts"!  Thanks, Mike - good call!

• Like 2

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Nice mod for sure! I would keep the rubber cover/caps for sure, as the Oliver has plenty of night lights already 😄.

Just me. 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR”

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

36 minutes ago, Patriot said:

Nice mod for sure! I would keep the rubber cover/caps for sure, as the Oliver has plenty of night lights already 😄.

Just me. 😎

Like a taxi way at the airport, blue and green 🤣

• Haha 3

John & Susan Dorrer, 2013 F250, 6.2 gasser, 4x4, 2022 Legacy Elite 2, twin beds, Hull #1045, Jolli Olli

-ALARCOIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMNMSMOMTNENHNY

Thanks for sharing.  These plug into an existing socket or replaces the socket?  If it’s that latter, is it hard to do?  How do you pull out the existing one?  These look great and would be much more functional with USB-C. Thanks again 

2023 Elite II - Hull Number 1335, Twin Bed
Rivian R1T - Local/Regional | 2018 Nissan Armada - Longer Distance
Simi Valley CA | Williamsburg VA 

14 hours ago, RichM said:

Thanks for sharing.  These plug into an existing socket or replaces the socket?  If it’s that latter, is it hard to do?  How do you pull out the existing one?  These look great and would be much more functional with USB-C. Thanks again 

They replace the existing socket. Check under your dinette seat and you can easily see what to do. I have a picture of mine (have not upgraded yet). You only need to pull two spade terminals (blue wire +) and then there is a threaded ring. To get to the one over the bed, you will have to pull the rubber liner in the cabinet.

The picture shows the ones in our older hull have screws left and right. The ones Mike shows above do not have these. I may have to patch the screw holes or perhaps there is a trim ring on mine that could just stay.

There are many models of these depending on your needs. The one @rideadeuce linked above has a 65W USB-C required for iPads. If you are only charging phones, 65W may be overkill (I do not know if extra wattage can hurt a phone). This one has two 20W USB-C posts and a USB3: Amazon.com: USB C Car Charger Socket – Newest 58W Lengthened RV USB Outlet 12V Socket Dual 20W PD3.0 USB-C and 18W QC3.0 Car USB Port with Button Power Switch for Boat Marine Motorcycle : Cell Phones & Accessories

This is a most simple install. A good way to get started and soon you will do more complicated tasks!

Oliver DC Wiring2.jpg

Edited by jd1923
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 2

Thank for the additional information and pictures. I think you’re right, a good first project to build a little confidence. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2023 Elite II - Hull Number 1335, Twin Bed
Rivian R1T - Local/Regional | 2018 Nissan Armada - Longer Distance
Simi Valley CA | Williamsburg VA 

I have been considering doing this but had a small voice in the back of my head that keeps saying “check the wire gauge and the fuses.” Any concern with moving from the 5 watts to 65 watts on the factory wiring harness? I keep meaning to do the math, but I am bad enough on AC wire gauges, I’m still new to DC.

• Like 2

Current: 2023 Oliver Elite II - Hull #1364 "Reset 2.0" (Second Owner)
Tow Vehicle: 2023 Ford F-150 XLT 3.5L EcoBoost /w 3.55 axle and Max Tow Package "SIlver"
Original: 2022 Oliver Elite I - Hull #1030 "Reset" (For Sale)
Original Tow Vehicle: 2022 Subaru Ascent "Blue Moose"
Home Base: Duncanville, TX

spacer.png

14 hours ago, DunnYet said:

I have been considering doing this but had a small voice in the back of my head that keeps saying “check the wire gauge and the fuses.” Any concern with moving from the 5 watts to 65 watts on the factory wiring harness? I keep meaning to do the math, but I am bad enough on AC wire gauges, I’m still new to DC.

If you look at my photo above, the wiring looks like automotive grade 14 AWG, though I have not measured it to be certain. 14 AWG wire has ampacity of 15A (16 AWG is 10A). 65W / 12 = 5.4A

Given @rideadeuce has installed his and of course he has the Victron app, he could check amps before, then plug in an iPad and check the negative change in amps to verify actual usage numbers vs. theorical.

I believe you'd be OK, but if 'twas me, I would upgrade the dinette area to the 65W and run new dedicated wiring to a dedicated fuse, since the fuse box is <2 FT away. Ampacity and voltage drop over cable length. The run to the overhead streetside bed is a long run and who knows if OTT has these outlets shared with anything else on the same run (wiring and fuse). There I would install the lesser wattage model for phones (20W) like the one I linked above, to be safer. We normally charge our laptops at the dinette anyway or via the 110V outlet at the nightstand and we charge our phones over the bed to be handy, so this arrangement works well for our usage.

• Like 2

On 6/30/2024 at 12:21 PM, jd1923 said:

I may have to patch the screw holes or perhaps there is a trim ring on mine that could just stay.

You can find some that have a mounting plate => [Upgraded Version] 12V USB Outlet Qidoe 78W 3 Port USB C 12V Outlet Dual PD 30W & 18W USB A Port with Voltmeter Lengthened Aluminum Body Switch Waterproof USB Car Charger Socket for Car Boat Marine RV

https://a.co/d/07mCzHx6

The most I have seen using the ones I installed to charge an iPad is 4.5 amp or around 52 watts. I really just wanted USB-C connections since everything has switched over to that and to be able to fast charge my phone, iPad, etc. Of course the MacBook can charge easily from 50w as well. But I am not an electrician and routinely do things that are above my experience level so I will be the first to say don’t do what I do without doing your own homework. 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 4

- Mike

Nashville, TN

2018 Elite II - Spirit of Adventure Hull #308  - Toyota Tundra 

4 hours ago, jd1923 said:

If you look at my photo above, the wiring looks like automotive grade 14 AWG, though I have not measured it to be certain. 14 AWG wire has ampacity of 15A (16 AWG is 10A). 65W / 12 = 5.4A

That’s the kind of math I’m looking for 🙂

• Like 1

Current: 2023 Oliver Elite II - Hull #1364 "Reset 2.0" (Second Owner)
Tow Vehicle: 2023 Ford F-150 XLT 3.5L EcoBoost /w 3.55 axle and Max Tow Package "SIlver"
Original: 2022 Oliver Elite I - Hull #1030 "Reset" (For Sale)
Original Tow Vehicle: 2022 Subaru Ascent "Blue Moose"
Home Base: Duncanville, TX

spacer.png

• Moderators
On 6/29/2024 at 1:08 PM, John Dorrer said:

Like a taxi way at the airport, blue and green 🤣

Exactly!  They guide my 4 AM forays to check the plumbing and I sleep with my 👀 closed, so they do bother my sleeping habits.😉

Mossey

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

But the deal is these models have an OFF switch. No LED lights when off. The caps are dust caps, for exterior use or seldom use. I already cut the caps off in our old sockets (2 of 4, the ones we use with USB connections) since they do not have LEDs and were always dangling, just being in the way.