Considering a TV upgrade - Chevrolet 2500 Diesel - Concerned about ride quality

ScottyGS

I would appreciate the brain trust weighing in on considerations for a new TV.  My F150 has about 110k on it and I think I am ready to follow the advice of so many and upgrade to a 3/4 ton truck.  Have pretty much settled on the Chevy 2500 LTZ Duramax.  I "Think" the Ram would be too rough a ride and Ford is out of the question.  So the Chevy looks good to me.  I am wondering...... 

How much rougher is the ride on a 2500 over a half ton truck.  Assuming I air down the tires to just above what will set off the sensor... while NOT towing. 

Donna has recently had back surgery so I am looking to make travel as comfortable for her as possible.  What would my options for improving the ride be?    Thinking sway bar, leveling, or better yet.  Airbags.   I looked into liquid springs but they are only for Ram and the F word.  

If Airbags are the premium way to go...    Would back only do it?     How much do you think that would cost?   (good system with a compressor and cockpit controls)  

And finally.   What am I missing?   Is there another option that would get a better ride out of a 3/4 ton?   Should I do more research on RAM?  Any advice on moving up to a Diesel 3/4 would be appreciated.    Steve Landrum... I am thinking of you.  :classic_biggrin:

We have owned #145 for a bit over 8 years now and Donna just pulled the pin on the retirement grenade, so we are going to be stepping up the travel.  I want to make sure we are safe and ready for that. 

Thank you all in advance.  Can't wait to read your thoughts. 

Scotty

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Travel Trailers for Sale
New Travel Trailers for Sale

The 2500 will feel much better and smoother when towing. HD trucks  drive better hauling and towing. Without load, any brand 2500 will feel harsh and bouncy. If you buy a cap and keep camping gear loaded always it will drive somewhat smoother when not towing.

I’ve been a long time Dodge truck owner. I wouldn’t want a truck with ‘Chevrolet’ written across the tailgate. That said, though I could not afford one, I would die for a GMC Duramax with 10-speed Alison trans! Best wishes, JD

Edited by jd1923
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

• Moderators

We towed with two different Ram 1500’s and now with a Ram 2500 (77,000 miles).  There really isn’t any noticeable difference in the ride between the 1500’s and our current 2500, towing or not towing.  I don’t mess with tire inflation, what’s on the door frame is what’s in the tires.  The 2500 is taller and larger inside, but the ride is fine.  The Chevy LTZ is a fine choice.  Go for a test drive, you’ll be surprised how they smooth out the ride in the bigger trucks.  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

3 hours ago, ScottyGS said:

Donna just pulled the pin on the retirement grenade

Congrats on that!  

My TV is a 2023 Chevy 2500 Silverado HD -- and I love it.  If you can, find the one with the larger console (in lieu of the dinky console and "3rd" front seat. 

The only comparison I can make though is to my old OLD 1977 Ford 150 that I purchased used in 1993 -- it was a Florida Power & Light Service Truck and it had those great tool boxes on the sides, and it was ORANGE because, you know, Florida Power & Light. I bought that truck when I was started a major house remodel. I loved that truck, too, but it was much rougher on the road than my new Silverado. I suggest the test ride as mentioned by others. There is a decent handle to grab to pull yourself up -- and in my opinion the FLAT SHAPED permanent step is a must-have add-on with this vehicle. I had to order that step separately from the truck. 

• Thanks 1

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel 

ALAZARCOFLGAILIAKSKYLAMONENMNCNDOHOKPASD

No matter how you feel re the comfort of a 2500 series truck, they have springs and shocks that are heavier allowing for greater GVWR. A 1500 series truck with GVWR of say 6000 LBS will have a softer suspension, drive more like a car, than the truck with a 9000 LB GVWR.

Get the 2500 series truck regardless, for so many reasons, of carrying capacity, climbing/pulling power or merely for the safety of your family, it is the logical choice.

The majority of Oliver owners will say "you must have 4WD!" Though the 2WD truck has a lower center of gravity and will certainly drive more smoothly. It's a lot easier to get into and climb out of and the cost of one is considerably less $$$$! Also, a long bed truck is more stable than the short bed. The downside is 2WD LB trucks are NOT cool, not made for mall-cursing or adding wide wheels or a lift-kit! 🤣

My truck is a 2WD LB diesel-engine 2500 and I once I realized what I needed, I looked hard to find the right one! And believe me, I boondock, truck and trailer climbing rougher roads living in the high country of AZ, than more of 90% of OTT Forum members! 2WD LB trucks are more comfortable to drive, travel straighter on paved roads at highway speeds, bounce less and have lower maintenance costs.

The picture below is the very first outing we made in our Oliver last summer. We camped at Kendrick Mountain Wilderness at high elevation, 25 miles of washboard dirt roads to get there and another 200-yard steep climb to our campsite. 2WD LB was no problem, never had a rear wheel slip. Though I learned to drive on 60s RWD 2-ton classic cars on snowy midwestern roads. Just put some weight in the trunk!

Read all our opinions and of course in the end get the truck you really want! Get a truck you will care for and truly love for a long, long time!

Drty Ollie.jpg

We have a 2018 Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.0 liter crew cab that tows our Elite II. We have plenty of power and the ride is okay for a 3/4 ton pickup. Buy the make that makes you happy. 

• Like 2

Jeff Simone and Katie Thibodeau

2021 Oliver Elite II Hull # 802

Tow Vehicle; 2018 Silverado 2500HD LTZ Crew Cab 6.0 Liter Vortec

• Moderators

I just spent the weekend in Iowa and Minnesota.  My cousin's son picked me up at the airport, and  drove us around Des Moines area (freeway/county paved/ gravel combos)  in a late model gmc sierra  2500 duramax. Ride in the back seat was absolutely comfy. Great seats, great ride.

It's a long ways down for my short legs from the cab. Grateful for grab handles and smurf steps/bars.

Great truck. And beautiful. Not for me, as I don't need it, with a shorty elite I, but a very comfy/lux  ride, all around.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I am towing with a 2020 Chevy 2500 Duramax.  The ride is pretty good with a load in the back and the hitch weight of the oliver.  The independent front wheels help the ride over Ram and Ford.  With an empty truck the ride is still a bit rough compared to 1500 or Suburban, etc.  That said, my 2020 rides far better than my 2006 Chevy 2500 duramax.  With the 2006 my wife experienced discomfort after an injury.  Although she has since recovered, the 2020 ride is far better. 

In general the 2500 mates well with the Oliver Elite II.  Pulling is pretty easy and we have found no need for anti sway hitches and so forth.  I have the trailering package so with cameras hooking up and turning have full views.  Plenty of capacity in the bed to haul extra stuff which in our case includes an extra 30 gallons of fresh water.  

Hull 1394 Elite II with 2020 Silverado 2500HD duramax

• Like 2

2023 Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull #1394

TV - 2020 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4x4

@ScottyGS With your wife having back surgery, in addition to your investigation of what 2500 to buy be sure to check out what passenger seat is available on your selected truck. Lots of trucks do not have the same mulit-adjusted seat as the driver seat (so not as comfortable), You want the passenger seat to have the same 8 point adjustment that the driver's seat has so she is comfortable. (unless she is the driver)

PS: I personally like the RAM 2500 Longhorn 3/4 ton truck. David @GraniteStaters had a RAM 1500 and upgraded to a RAM Longhorn 2500 with air suspension that he used all last winter traveling the south during the winter.  He loves the truck. I suggest that before you give up on the RAM check with David.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

@ScottyGS Whichever 3/4 ton you decide to go with get the 360 camera/camera trailering package! I did not and biggest mistake!😔

• Thanks 1

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Roof Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter), added 400W Renogy Solar suitcase with Victron MPPT 100/30 CC, Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

Hey Everyone....   

Update and closeout of this thread.  We test drove both the Ram and Duramax 2500 trucks.  They are awesome tow platforms but....   a bit too high for Donna to climb up into with her back situation.   Our TV would be about 1/3 towing and 2/3 regular driving.  I think we have found a good compromise and I will  have a post on that in a week or so.  Thank you all again.  Nice to have knowledgeable people to bounce ideas off of.   Happy Camping! 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

@ScottyGS

I hope (and assume) the 2500 trucks you drove had the step rails. These step rails would make it easiser for Donna to climb into the truck. Without them it would be extremely difficult.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

On 9/8/2024 at 10:02 AM, ScottyGS said:

a bit too high for Donna to climb up into with her back situation.

I had suggested 2WD earlier in this thread. Though hard to find one these days on dealer lots. Any 4WD truck is a climb! Love our 2WD TV, easy step up and it's not like you're going rock crawlin' with back issues! The weight of a TV is mostly on the rear axle, front wheels are important for steering vs. pulling.

• Thanks 1

On 9/9/2024 at 3:54 PM, dewdev said:

@ScottyGS

I hope (and assume) the 2500 trucks you drove had the step rails. These step rails would make it easiser for Donna to climb into the truck. Without them it would be extremely difficult.

Yes...  The Chevy 3/4 had a power step like our F150 but higher.  It was a no go.  We finally decided on a Nissan Titan XD.  I will get custom power steps that solve the problem for her.  Look for my post about that one and thanks! 

Scotty

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jd1923 said:

The one with the Cummins!?

Nope.  5.6 Liter V8.  No turbo, no fuel management crap.  Just raw gas eating power.  I know I'll still have to manage the downhills, and the mileage will probably be worse than the F150 ecoboost with turbo, but think we may get better mileage while towing.  That remains to be seen.  The other thing about the XD that was a really big plus is the rear seat.  It seems almost all the half ton... and even the 3/4 Chevy have back seats that are small and hard.  Not comfortable and Donna likes to travel in the rear seat at times so that was important.  I put up a post on the XD and the reasons we went that way.   Thanks again,

Scotty

• Like 2

• Moderators

Congratulations,  Scott. There are several other XD owners on our forum. Nissan seats, in my rental experience,  offer great comfort, and support. Hope it works out for you. And, your wife's comfort.

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

I happened to park next to a Titan XD at the grocery store, earlier today. Great looking truck.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4