no solor / inverter question

Hi, I have a question if I can hook up a 2000 watt inverter to my battery bank.I don't know much about these batterys.Is there a way to get the outlets to work on a inverter,or will I have to have the inverter inside the camper.I have no solor or inverter on my 2022 le 2. We just got back from a state park with no hookups and it is very hard to make coffee at 6:00 am and not be able to fire up the generator.We would like to hit more parks but generator hours are limited.

DSCN1888.JPG

DSCN1889.JPG

DSCN1887.JPG

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Travel Trailers for Sale
New Travel Trailers for Sale

Typically the inverter would be mounted under the curbside bed (if twin model) and would be wired into the outlets to power them when you are off grid. A coffee maker could drain your batteries very quickly without a way to charge the batteries. Another possibility you might consider something similar to a "portable power station." They come in all sorts of sizes and costs and run on lithium batteries.  https://www.rei.com/product/226836/ecoflow-delta-2-portable-power-station?sku=2268360001&store=&CAWELAID=120217890016383415&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=107744412944&CATCI=pla-2087785025725&cm_mmc=PLA_Google|21700000001700551_2268360001|92700076752586024|TOF|71700000066695894&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwodC2BhAHEiwAE67hJJcxaXVRBKoDVQUqzcOLMkYRGRAL5qkqjqU-RB3WyrkQOlvmdaFu2RoCyZAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like 3

2019 Ram 1500 5.7L V8, 3.92 axle ratio - 2020 LEll - Hull676

38 minutes ago, Ray Kimsey said:

A coffee maker could drain your batteries very quickly without a way to charge the batteries.

Agreed, the only way to have an inverter (or any kind of charging station too) is to also have the means to charge your batteries. You could add a solar suitcase, or a DC-DC charger tied to your truck alternator, so that you would charge while towing. You need something.

Looks like you have four 82AH 12V lead-acid batteries wired in parallel for 368 AH total. You could be making a pot of coffee say two mornings if the third morning you would be back to shore power to recharge. However, it appears you have no battery monitor so no way to tell where you stand on state-of-charge (SOC).

Taking a close look at your pictures, it's very odd that a 2022 model with no solar or inverter would have multiple extra holes drilled into the battery bay. Also, it looks like you have 4/0 cables between the batteries yet a smaller gauge leaving the bay. These would likely have to be upgraded to operate an inverter, though not sure without truly knowing the AWG.

OTT mounted our 2KW Xantrex inverter under the rear dinette seat and when I replaced it, with the much larger 3KVA Victron MP2 it had to go under the rear streetside bed (see pic of OTT OEM install). BTW, this working 2KW setup is for sale cheap if interested. Our OEM installation also came with 340AH rooftop solar and we could run many appliances, including the microwave, except on truly overcast days (then LP for coffee).

There are a whole lot of inverter, solar, battery upgrade threads here. I would study these for a while and come up with an upgrade plan that fits your needs. It will take a combination of upgrades that can range from a small to large expense and amount of work depending.

Xantrex Gear2 Crop.jpg

• Like 3

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

If it's only your morning coffee, consider boiling water on your propane stove and using a pour-over. If you also need to grind beans, there are hand-powered grinders available. Check out https://www.hario-usa.com/collections. I have a 3000W Xantrex, solar and lithium, and I use a Hario pour-over for coffee.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

2021 Elite II Twin #850 "Mojo", 2020 F250 Lariat 7.3L FX4 3.55

We have solar and a 2000W Xantrex inverter, but do not carry an electric coffee maker. Like @MobileJoy we use a tea kettle on the LP stovetop and a Melita pour-over cone & paper filter into a stainless thermos bottle each morning. Our son boils water on the cooktop and uses a french press. Choices abound 🙂

• Like 6

Tom & Holly

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite I #409 - 2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3L Gas, 4x4 Z71, Dbl Cab, Std Bed

2024-05-03OliverCampedStates(medium).jpg.8db75a0e11bba4f2fa20c9101af1ca0c.jpg

- Thanks Ray, I may have to look into a  "portable power station."

- JD, I do have a honda 2000 gen that I could hook up to LEll. There is a battery "meter" with the tank level monitors.

I agree on the multiple extra holes drilled into the battery bay is strange, maybe the original owners backed out of solor when ordered, to bad for me!

- Mobiljoy & ADKcamper, Thanks for the recommendations on the coffee types,we used a pour-over but was not impressed.

Thanks to all for your help.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, grweber1 said:

- Mobiljoy & ADKcamper, Thanks for the recommendations on the coffee types,we used a pour-over but was not impressed.

We also use pour over when we have no hookups.  You might have to experiment a bit to get the strength you like.  Also use fresh grounds or freshly ground beans.  Also worth a try is a French press.  We’ve had good luck using that as well.  We have solar and an inverter and only use it for coffee if we’re on the road and I want a quick cup of Nespresso.  Otherwise we boil water on the cooktop.  Mike

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

My wife doesn’t drink coffee, so a pour over of some sort has been my coffee making routine for a loooong time.  I am presently using an AeroPress and an old Jetboil camping stove.  The AeroPress is a lot like a French Press except it is nearly indestructible, no glass.  Or you could heat water on the kitchen gas cooktop.

Mossey

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

5 hours ago, grweber1 said:

JD, I do have a Honda 2000 gen that I could hook up to LEll. There is a battery "meter" with the tank level monitors.

I agree on the multiple extra holes drilled into the battery bay is strange, maybe the original owners backed out of solar when ordered, too bad for me!

I'm thinking yours is more than a coffee issue. We have always used an inverter. We stream TV shows or YouTube, play a Blu-ray at night, turn on Newsmax in the morning, can't do that on LP. We have two tea kettles for drip coffee. If it's going to be a sunny day (80/20 rule in Arizona) we use our 1100W electric and if SOC is low and the forecast is mostly cloudy we use LP instead. 

Forgot about your generator. We haven't needed one in a while, so I did not consider it in my earlier comment. We had a Class-C with a small inverter and at first no solar but a capable built-in 4KW Onan generator. We would watch TV, run any electric appliances including the microwave. During afternoons we would run the generator, run the A/C then too and meanwhile recharge the batteries.

How OTT wired the 2KW Xantrex (pictured above) was as follows. 4/0 battery cables (2/0 is actually enough) go to the inverter first and then they used 6 AWG cables to power secondary 12VDC needs. The automatic transfer switch (ATS), is shown center of picture. Notice the label "connect to AC load only" which was wired to the one 120VAC breaker that handles the microwave and 110V outlets (make coffee, watch TV, etc.). The ATS allows this circuit(s) to be run on shore power OR inverter. The wiring is relatively simple.

Besides an inverter with ATS, perhaps longer/heavier cables, I would suggest getting a shunt-battery monitor, so you would know when the inverter had used enough power to require recharging (50% SOC for lead acid). We have the tank level monitor too, but I never use it. I added one of these for reading amps and AH used, besides SOC. The VictronConnect app makes it so you can read this data via Bluetooth. It's good to know when parking/leaving your Oliver whether you forgot/left something on that would drain SOC, check the -Amps reading which should be very low. Hope this helps!

Amazon.com: Victron Energy SmartShunt IP65 Battery Monitor (Bluetooth) - Victron Smart Shunt - 6.5V-70V, 500 amp : Automotive 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, grweber1 said:

Hi, I have a question if I can hook up a 2000 watt inverter to my battery bank.I don't know much about these batterys.Is there a way to get the outlets to work on a inverter,or will I have to have the inverter inside the camper.I have no solor or inverter on my 2022 le 2. We just got back from a state park with no hookups and it is very hard to make coffee at 6:00 am and not be able to fire up the generator.We would like to hit more parks but generator hours are limited.

DSCN1888.JPG

DSCN1889.JPG

DSCN1887.JPG

If you are anywhere near the Atlanta area, you can come by and look at my installation.  Plus I now have a 2000 watt Xantrex inverter/charger you can buy (cheap) that I just removed from my Oliver. 

As to the Bright Way batteries - I'm not a fan.  Mine (AGM) only lasted a couple of years and were never deeply discharged. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2020 Elite II Hull #628, Houghton Heat Pump, Victron MP2, SmartSolar, Orion, Cerbo, Lynx install in progress...

TV - 2011 Toyota Tundra Crew Max Platinum 4WD, Magnuson Supercharger, OME suspension

On 9/2/2024 at 10:03 AM, mossemi said:

I am presently using an AeroPress and an old Jetboil camping stove.  The AeroPress is a lot like a French Press except it is nearly indestructible, no glass.

@mossemi - Same here, Mike!  But we use the French Press that Jetboil offers - we take it with us on multiple-day MC rides for consistently well-made Joe in the AM.  Ever try getting any more of that Blackbeard's Delight BRCC?

Screenshot2024-09-04at05_55_51.thumb.png.ddb7431962126b36de6b21750d37d19a.png

HA!  We love this stuff....  Sorry in advance for highjacking the thread!

ARRRGGH!

• Haha 2

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

The filled in holes were done at the factory where they removed the inverter/charger. You’ll probably find an empty used mount board where they yanked out the unit. 

I wouldn’t waste my time with those batteries. The reserve capacity is so low the inverter will quickly deplete them. Buy one or two new lithium units, run new wiring, and install an inverter/charger.

29 minutes ago, ChrisMI said:

The filled in holes were done at the factory...

OTT should realize regardless of customer choices in solar/inverter/battery options, only two holes into the battery bay for +/- battery cables are necessary.