srosvold Posted Thursday at 01:05 PM Posted Thursday at 01:05 PM (edited) Hello. We're new here, so please excuse the newbie questions. We have owned a class C motorhome, but we have never owned a truck and trailer. We are considering an Apex. We are also considering a 2027 Ram 1500 REV to tow it with. We would love to know more about towing with this vehicle. We live in Colorado, so there will be mountain driving. Two adults and two very small dogs. We will have more questions so let's start here! https://www.caranddriver.com/ram/1500-rev Edited Thursday at 01:05 PM by srosvold
Moderators topgun2 Posted Thursday at 06:25 PM Moderators Posted Thursday at 06:25 PM Even though this RAM's payload capacity is fairly good compared to the competition, it is one of the main areas that all of the 1/2 ton trucks tend to be on the "light" side. Remember that ANYTHING you add to the truck "counts" against this payload limit - this includes even things like the tongue weight of your Oliver which will be (plus or minus) 600 pounds. In addition, given where you live and the mountain driving that you will do, the brakes and overall drive train on any 1/2 ton will likely be pushed towards the maximums for the truck. Having said this - I own a 2023 Ford F-150 with 3.5 liter twin turbo engine plus Ford's max towing and payload package and I've never had any difficulties with the truck's abilities. But, generally I travel alone and am what one might call a light packer. Bill 3 2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist" Near Asheville, NC
Moderators Mike and Carol Posted Thursday at 08:08 PM Moderators Posted Thursday at 08:08 PM I agree with Bill. We’ve towed our E2 with two different Ram 1500s. We spend a lot of time in Colorado since our son and family live there. Both 1500s did a respectable job towing, with the typical high revs going up the mountain and lots of braking assisted by the engine going down the other side. Payload was below max but we don’t travel with a lot of stuff. We’ve been towing with a Ram 2500 diesel for the last 6 years and towing is night and day, especially in the mountains. Engine brake going down the mountain means very little braking needed. Payload never a concern. A 1500 will do the job, a bigger truck makes it less tense. Welcome to the group! Mike 3 Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins
jd1923 Posted Thursday at 08:11 PM Posted Thursday at 08:11 PM Seems odd to me to almost have an EV truck, but in addition to an array of batteries and all their weight, to have a v6 engine and fuel tank. Charge your tow vehicle and fill the tank, or use the fuel in your tank to charge your truck? Perhaps it's the best of both worlds? I've been driving 2500 Series diesel trucks for 23 years. @DanielBoondock was first to tow with the Sierra EV. I tow our Oliver with enough electrical upgrades to never need or use a generator when camping. If I was to go EV, it would likely be full-out! 🤠 We had this discussion just 2 weeks ago and this subject comes up every couple of months if you study this "Towing an Oliver" section of your Forum. Once Oliver owners tow with a 2500 Series pickup truck, we won't go back! Just ask @Rivernerd or @rideandfly, will you give up your F350? (recent TV upgrades) 2 Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!
Boudicca908 Posted Thursday at 08:28 PM Posted Thursday at 08:28 PM 7 hours ago, srosvold said: mountain driving Mountain driving was a significant reason I decided on my 2500. I knew I wanted spend a lot of time towing in the mountains, and I didn't want to be restricted on the payload, nor to have any doubts about my truck's capabilities. A neighbor of mine used a 1500 for her trailer in Montana and was stranded on the side of the road when it died. My Elite 2 follows me like a dream and I travel without worry. I also travel for months at a time, and I bring things along (toys, tools, food, etc). My two cents. 2 Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022) Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel my Oliver has camped here
ScottyGS Posted Thursday at 10:38 PM Posted Thursday at 10:38 PM The BIG question is.... What are you planning on adding to the truck? Cap? That's about 300-350 lbs. Slide? Add another 100 lbs. If you look at the real simple payload math a 1/2 ton with 1500 lbs payload is an OK tow vehicle. Hitch weight = 600.... Man, wife, dog = 400... That's 500 lbs in payload left. Add a hard tonneau (150 lbs) and you have about 350 lbs left over. You can do that. BUT... if you add that CAP... Your payload goes to about 150 lbs in camping gear. You can eat that up real quick. Especially in the mountains... if that is where you live and can swing it dollar and life style wise. 3/4 ton is the way to go. Also you should educate yourself on towing math. Youtube has some good videos on this. And finally RTFM! Get the manual and read the hell out of it for any TV you plan on. Best of Luck to you. Scotty 1 1 Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie - The Flying Sea Turtle - 2016 Hull # 145 2024 Nissan Titan XD - Western NC
rideandfly Posted Friday at 12:45 PM Posted Friday at 12:45 PM (edited) We have towed Ollie (LE2) with 5 different tow vehicles. Found a new 2024 F-350 6.8L (gas) on the lot last summer (2025) and got a super deal on it, lower price compared to many 1/2 ton pickups with an old school normally aspirated gas engine. No weight distribution hitch to worry about and no worry about running out of payload capacity when loading for trips with Ollie connected. Olivers are known for how stable they are when towing, but with the longer wheel base of our Heavy Duty pickup our rig is extremely stable. I used to modify 1/2 ton pickups rear suspension to get rid of rear end sag with either airbags or Timbren systems, not needed with our current rig. Installed a Diamond back bed cover, but we have enough payload capacity to install a fiberglass shell if we chose one, a little over 4,000lbs payload. Heavy Duty pickup trucks have heavy duty brake systems and heavy duty cooling systems for towing in the mountains, too. Best Regards, Bill Edited Friday at 12:54 PM by rideandfly 4 1 Bill 2015 LE2 2024 F-350 6.8L
taylor.coyote Posted Friday at 03:47 PM Posted Friday at 03:47 PM (edited) The above posts are all good advice. For us, it's all about payload. We are not minimalist and love to bring our toys such as kayaks, propane grill and don't like using a weight distribution hitch. We tow with an F250 short box ( pay load of about 2000lbs) . We love the truck but run at the top of the trucks capacity. If given a choice today, we would go with an F350 for more payload. We only use our truck for towing because 3/4 ton+ truck are lousy daily drives (stiff and poor turning radius). Everything to love about diesel except the current fuel prices here in crazy California. Might want to consider a gas engine for lower fuel and purchase prices. After towing with 3/4 ton, we would never consider going back to a 1/2 ton truck Edited Friday at 03:57 PM by taylor.coyote typo 4 2016 Legacy Elite II, Twin Beds, Hull #124 Tow Vehicle: 2019 Ford F250 4x4 / Short Bed / Crew Cab / 6.7 Diesel Fieldbrook, Ca
DanielBoondock Posted Friday at 07:01 PM Posted Friday at 07:01 PM I wouldn’t touch it. Ignore the headlines, RAM doesn’t have the battery production capacity or (as far as I can see) the engineering commitment to this truck. They originally planned on three plants, scaled back to one which is on life support last I checked. “Follow the battery production …” that shows how serious they are. At any rate the REV will probably just get delayed again, if we ever see it. Philosophically @jd1923 nails it. IMO hybrids (of whatever variety) are ‘worst of both best of none’. In addition I’d add that they’re solving a problem that has been solved. You want EV? Buy a Sierra or Silverado EV, I can guarantee you’ll have a wonderful towing experience with no trouble with charging or whatever. You still want ICE? Plenty of choice. There is literally ZERO reason to buy a hybrid at this point. Pick your poison and run with it. 1 1 Oliver Elite II Twin 2026 (all the upgrades) Sierra EV AT4 2026 (max range 530 mile pack)
DanielBoondock Posted Saturday at 12:22 AM Posted Saturday at 12:22 AM By the way some automotive history if you’re not familiar and are interested; none of this is new. EV’s were actually the second type of drivetrain after steam, invented in the 1830’s. They were very popular in New York City in the early 20th century where fashionable (and rich) ladies would take them shopping. Internal combustion came later and the problem was that crank. It was difficult and possibly dangerous to crank the engine. When the electric starter was invented they took off and dominated. And getting gasoline back then was difficult, you had to buy it by the pint at the drug store - the ones that had it 😅 Hybrids too have been around a long time, Leno has a 1916 Owens Magnetic which was quite innovative with an EM drivetrain. He’s got all the historical stuff including steam cars 1 1 Oliver Elite II Twin 2026 (all the upgrades) Sierra EV AT4 2026 (max range 530 mile pack)
Moderators Wayfinder Posted 48 minutes ago Moderators Posted 48 minutes ago (edited) I too just upgraded from a 2020 RAM 1500 Limited with RAM airbags to a 2024 Ford F-250 FX4 Lariat with stock springs. I'm not in love with the comfort level for the F-250, that's for sure, compared to having RAM Air, but I needed the payload. We really can't have both TOTAL comfort and payload. For those who have never driven a RAM 1500 Limited with RAM Airbags, it really is comfort. I also no longer run with the Andersen Weight Distribution Hitch (WDH) and I don't miss it at all. I switched over to the Shocker Hitch with the riser ball mount option to ensure trailer is completely level while towing. It does make a huge difference on both truck and trailer when hitting bumps, having the Shocker hitch. I also like doing really tight U-turns when needed, can't quite do that safely with the Andersen WDT nor with a storage box on the front of the trailer. I'll never have one of those either. I will also be adding a cap to the truck soon adding even more weight to my truck since I also have a DECKED drawer system full of tools and goodies. With the cap I will be carrying more common parts I seem to need on the road to help folks. Edited 47 minutes ago by Wayfinder Chris o-o 2016 Legacy Elite II (demo) - Hull #110 -"Rock'in 110" o-o 2024 Ford F-250 Lariat, 7.3L Godzilla gasser o-o Augusta, Georgia
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now