Reed,

Thanks for the schematics.

Will you be heading back over to Safeway soon?

John

• Thanks 1

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you running the CPAP with the inverter turned on?  I found that my inverter alone uses about 3 amps per hour so I invested in some 150 watt cigarette lighter inverters for low draw appliances.  CPAP, TV, fan, etc.  My wife and I both use CPAP and the amp savings is significant.  I use my 3000 watt inverter only for big draws such as microwave, hair drier, induction cooking, etc.

Our Ollie had 12 volt outlets above each twin bed and a port for the CPAP hose so the small inverters worked well with that application.

Amazon has the Tripp Lite inverter for $28.00.  I own three and they work well.

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel

I'd like to hear more about running a/c using inverter.  I've got the standard 2000 watt inverter and 4ea t5 batts.  Initial test indicated a/c isn't wired to work with inverter.  (Honda 2000 in basket)

I've got a 3000 hybrid inverter but I don't know if there's room in the Elite 2, and I don't have time to tackle the job before we depart on a 3 month journey.

I've also got the EasyShare kit but not installed due to chance I may have to replace the a/c when I stop at factory to get a couple of bugs fixed.  One is the a/c drops offline for a few seconds , then restarts.  Once it was making a noise like a suck relay.  Didn't want to install the ES if the a/c might have to be exchanged.   Thoughts?

Brad  Santa Fe NM

Are you running the CPAP with the inverter turned on?

Nope, but also different CPAP's use varying amounts of electricity we have found and they have different cut off points where they will stop running. She picked up the new "Resmed Airsense 10" for women, it's even pink... Lol, it works great but uses around 3x more electricity then her old Phillips Resperonics on 12vdc. The Airsense is a 24vdc unit that comes with a converter built in for a 12vdc plug in. We have the DC plug-in's over the bed on both sides also along with the reading lights and 120vac plugs. We rarely use the inverter for anything other then the microwave, instapot and her blow drier right now.

I've been thinking about just running an extension cord from the empty inverter outlet out to the 30amp plug in inlet with my 20amp adaptor to test it out but will this work? I "think"... that the transfer switch " should" take care of it... but I'm not positive and I don't want to blow any fuses by accidently doubling any voltages to anything... Any thoughts?

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

I’d like to hear more about running a/c using inverter. I’ve got the standard 2000 watt inverter and 4ea t5 batts. Initial test indicated a/c isn’t wired to work with inverter. (Honda 2000 in basket) I’ve got a 3000 hybrid inverter but I don’t know if there’s room in the Elite 2, and I don’t have time to tackle the job before we depart on a 3 month journey. I’ve also got the Easy Start kit but not installed due to the chance I may have to replace the a/c when I stop at factory to get a couple of bugs fixed.

"One is the a/c drops offline for a few seconds , then restarts."

Once it was making a noise like a stuck relay. Didn’t want to install the ES if the a/c might have to be exchanged. Thoughts? Brad Santa Fe NM

The easy start is a simple install, I would put it in and use it. When starting up on the 2000i before the easy start, the fan would come on, then shut off while the compressor comes online, then it restarts, this is normal. The Dometic Penguin II comes with a low wattage start capacitor already built in and this is how it normally starts on our generator. But the Micro-Air Easy Start really cuts down on the start up amps and allows the 2000i to still be ran in eco-mode.

We also have the standard Progressive 2000watt Inverter with the 4- T105's. It comes with a 3000watt surge built in and 1800watts normal running, so it should handle the a/c easily :) But it's just not wired that way from the factory... yet.

Reed

Happy Camping,

null

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Everything from driftwood to the kitchen table is what it takes sometimes to flush the toidy :)

IMG_20170731_085326.thumb.jpg.4c6132dbe27cce39781b1d3810137a86.jpg

This is our little 35' run to her sewer clean-out. We have flower baskets, a piece of 6' dog eared fencing, the driftwood, slinky's, and even a deck involved in this fun little run. The Oliver is high enough to make almost anything possible, just add in a cozy fire pit, and it's all downhill from here :)

Reed

IMG_20170731_085325.thumb.jpg.1a3bcafb68700c37f2380487e7d59361.jpg

Happy Camping,

null

• Moderator+
Screenshot_2017-07-30-22-21-03 Screenshot_2017-07-30-22-22-00 Screenshot_2017-07-30-22-22-25

IF you have a Blue Sky solar controller with a shunt installed (standard equipment before the Zamp changeover), or IF you ever anticipate installing a shunted battery monitor, THEN the wiring for the 4 x 6 volt batteries is incorrect.  All negative leads MUST go the the shunt first in order for any monitor to be able to accurately measure the amps into and out of the batteries.  Scott and I talked about this a couple of years ago.  None of the trailers produced to that point were wired with the shunt first, but since they were in the "change to Zamp" mode it was never addressed.  Since the Zamp system does not provide the amp in/out information, the above wiring is acceptable.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderator+
CPap machines…I thought most, at least ours, was really 12 volt. If so you could eliminate the small inverters too. Just use a 12V cord and plug it in direct?

Tali and I both use a CPAP machine.  When we were having the Outlaw Oliver built, I had 12 volt outlets installed inside the cabinets over our twin beds. I also plumbed a fitting thru the floor of the cabinets to attach our hoses to.  I found that the commercial 12 volt cords were over $50 each and they had a proprietary plug that went into the machines.  I went to our local home health office that provides our machines and supplies and asked if they had any old non-working power supply's.  With two in hand (for free) I went home, cut the cords off, attached a 12 volt male plug and viola, free cords. We run both all night, every night with a draw of less than 4 amp hours.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

It's 24vdc

Screenshot_2017-08-01-00-31-38.thumb.png.15323d6d3e0204d3c613b041a1fb61ea.png

Happy Camping,

null

Thanks Steve.  I did not know about Capps being 12Volt.  I am in the process of adding a few 12v outlets and plan to replicate your Ollie setup for the AS.  You are the in-o-va-tor.

It depends on which AC unit you have.  The Easy Start will certainly reduce the LRA but once the AC gets going the draw may be too much for a 2000 watt inverter.  I have the Magnum hybrid 3000 and it does fine.  My Dometic Briskair 15000 needs 150 amps of battery to run on low.  That's a huge drain and we only use the AC for short stops to keep the trailer cool for lunch,  or to pre cool as we approach a Campground with electricity.  The best unit for running on battery is the Atwood Air Command and when the Briskair fails I will replace with the Atwood.  When I had Ollie 64 I could run the Atwood 13500  all day on battery.

The most I have seen my solar produce is 25 Amps.  It takes a while to re charge those batteries.  Four Crown AGM six volt.

Wishing for Lithiums but they are spendy.

• Thanks 1

I'll find out if it will run the Dometic, this is more or less a test of functionability. I called Jason yesterday and asked him about me running a test jumper and he's checking into it for me on their end also :)

I have a couple other issues going on with Goldilocks right now and man has it been windy on the Oregon Coast this week...

Oliver has the Truma AquaGo decalcification tablets now and Jason is sending me out a parcel today with some tablets and a new control switch. I've never had the yellow light or LED3 come on, so... now that the hot water is cooling down a bit, it's time to decalcify our water heater. We still get hot water, it just doesn't stay up at 120° when running full blast... So if the control panel light was working, it would be telling me to clean it right now... The main LED1 is green and I'm not getting any error codes on LED2, so our first cleaning is right around the corner :)

I would have already finished the movie on the sewer system if the wind would calm down, and now the next movie is almost ready to be filmed... I will completely go thru the Truma AquaGo hot water system along with the cleaning, maintenance and decalcification process in a video of its own. I will also address the 65lb maximum water pressure limit and why we need to keep our systems set to run below that. I've waited 6 months for that darn yellow light to work... lol and now I'm getting a new one. I talked with Truma Service and talked with Jason about it, and because the water heater is working fine, the LED3 is burnt out. If it was the wire or the remote panel itself, then the water heater wouldn't be working. So another quick fix is in the process :)

received_10155325680905269.thumb.jpeg.8aef4fd17380116c268cb65d87a04893.jpeg

It's an easy fix with just 4 screws to pull from the front. I pulled the front panel off last night just to check it out, everything works except for the little light itself. It just runs on the power supplied from the phone cord. There's two plug sockets in the back of the switch and either of them will work. I tried both on mine and still no light, but it all functions like it's supposed to except for LED #3...

Reed

IMG_20170801_115703_1.thumb.jpg.875f3f073ab5f3424a2ababb1e78f4e6.jpg

IMG_20170802_060007.thumb.jpg.6ffec51029b5e1d4d1c7a4b9ddf7dc06.jpg

Happy Camping,

null

Video #1 ????

<iframe id="fitvid0" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/m1BcI56Y7lc?feature=oembed" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

We had a nice cloudy day here on the Oregon Coast today, so I was able to film part2 of our "Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2017" series, The Outside Storage Compartments. This also finishes up the rest of the Black Tank Cleaning movie that I started in part I. Filmed, edited, uploaded & produced all in just a couple hours this evening. We've been boondocking up here at Karen's mom's house waiting for water heater parts to get here from Oliver for a couple extra days. Jason overnighted the parts to us but I guess the delivery services in Florence,OR. have some catching up with the Jones's to accomplish because overnight was so... yesterday... :)

Reed

• Thanks 4

Happy Camping,

null

I finished decalcifying the Truma and here's the video :)

Happy Camping,

null

• 3 weeks later...

Now we are learning about the front jack. I had to use the manual crank handle to lower the jack the other day after having low voltage to the jack itself, I believe... I've now read the jack PDF and it doesn't talk about a voltage limiter, but obviously there is one built in somewhere. I had 12.2vdc on the battery but only 10.4 - 11.3 at the fuse, with no power at the toggle switch. So the complete power loss was between the fuse and the switch, with partial voltage loss between the fuse and the bus bar. The wire does pass through the motor housing and because we were located in an area with no cell service at Mount Rainier National Park, I didn't want to just pull the gear housing off of the jack with no knowledge of what was going on under those 4 bolts, so out came the jack handle. After lowering the jack, which reminded me of our Casita days, I plugged the trailer into the car via the 7 pin connector and once again power came back on at the jack between the fuse and the motor... The jack works once again... There's only 2 possibilities that I can see, either a broken wire inside the housing or a built in low voltage cut off that isn't mentioned in the owners manual PDF... The company recommends a 12 gauge wire to power the jack and with that much power loss between the battery and the jack, the wire that's there now has an issue somewhere.

Anyway, if you have a jack with no power at the switch, try plugging the trailer into the car first to see if power is restored before using the manual jack handle. It's about the same as hand cranking a Casita, so it's no big deal and it can be cranked fast but our supplied crank has no handle on it, just a pin to catch your hand on, so I'll be making that call to Jason again about getting the rest of the handle that is shown in the picture from the manufacturer because having that pin just going through a bare metal handle at the hand hold is really extremely idiotic... I did shoot a video on hand cranking and the jack head disassembly but it's still sitting in the camera for now to add to the greasing and jack maintenance video that is Now in the filming process :)

Reed

Yesterday, we made it to Mount Saint Helen. You can still see where the mountain blew it's top completely off behind us in the pic.

20992525_10155386961730269_7846156777569210206_n.jpg.e216c89aa7c01ed7f5b125e549c92b9b.jpg

Then here's a pic at Mount Rainier from yesterday :)

IMG_20170817_144738.thumb.jpg.0803e1de9184f80954018e6c00d44fd5.jpg

Happy Camping,

null

Now we are learning about the front jack. I had to use the manual crank handle to lower the jack the other day after having low voltage to the jack itself, I believe… I’ve now read the jack PDF and it doesn’t talk about a voltage limiter, but obviously there is one built in somewhere. I had 12.2vdc on the battery but only 10.4 – 11.3 at the fuse, with no power at the toggle switch. So the complete power loss was between the fuse and the switch, with partial voltage loss between the fuse and the bus bar. The wire does pass through the motor housing and because we were located in an area with no cell service at Mount Rainier National Park, I didn’t want to just pull the gear housing off of the jack with no knowledge of what was going on under those 4 bolts, so out came the jack handle. After lowering the jack, which reminded me of our Casita days, I plugged the trailer into the car via the 7 pin connector and once again power came back on at the jack between the fuse and the motor… The jack works once again… There’s only 2 possibilities that I can see, either a broken wire inside the housing or a built in low voltage cut off that isn’t mentioned in the owners manual PDF… The company recommends a 12 gauge wire to power the jack and with that much power loss between the battery and the jack, the wire that’s there now has an issue somewhere. Anyway, if you have a jack with no power at the switch, try plugging the trailer into the car first to see if power is restored before using the manual jack handle. It’s about the same as hand cranking a Casita, so it’s no big deal and it can be cranked fast but our supplied crank has no handle on it, just a pin to catch your hand on, so I’ll be making that call to Jason again about getting the rest of the handle that is shown in the picture from the manufacturer because having that pin just going through a bare metal handle at the hand hold is really extremely idiotic… I did shoot a video on hand cranking and the jack head disassembly but it’s still sitting in the camera for now to add to the greasing and jack maintenance video that is Now in the filming process ???? Reed Yesterday, we made it to Mount Saint Helen. You can still see where the mountain blew it’s top completely off behind us in the pic. 20992525_10155386961730269_7846156777569210206_n Then here’s a pic at Mount Rainier from yesterday ????

Try running a separate ground to the jack.

• Thanks 1

STEVEnBETTY

Thanks Steve :) I will try that when we get home, I don't have any spare wire with me... Yet :) The jack is grounded to the frame and there's supposed to be a pin washer under the front bolt to complete the ground as is but I haven't checked it yet, I just read the PDF about an hour ago, so when daylight comes around will check that first. Then in a couple days I will be home and then I'll run the ground wire to confirm that the jack bolt is the problem and hopefully, I can get it working with no voltage loss. It really looks like a bad ground but having no power into the switch is still a head scratcher for me right now...

Happy Camping,

null

I don't think this is a ground issue otherwise it wouldn't work hooked up to the tow vehicle.

When I added aftermarket powered jacks, I hooked up direct to the charge line.  So what I'm getting to is if Oliver hooked it up that way (and I'm guessing it is if you can power from tow) and the line is comprised on the way to the battery bank, then you probably won't be getting a charge to the battery from the tow vehicle as you travel.

I'd be looking for a bad crimp connection or the charge line connection to the batteries.

• Thanks 1

Well... we've been home for 5 days but we are still sleeping in the trailer. After 6 months it's our home! Sure we have a cabin in the woods also but home is where your heart is... And we haven't lived together in the new house yet, so here we are, out in the trailer where everything is set up perfectly already :) It will be a few weeks before we head out again to the Quincy Fiberglass RV Rally and in all honesty, we are still moving into the house between trips, so... Yup we love our Oliver,yea the voltage is down to 12.2 tonight but I'll set up the Renogy Solar Suitcase tomorrow and charge it back up. I will be changing out the Zamp Solar soon but this week I have a bunch of rewiring and plumbing repairs to do on both the house and the trailer now that we are home and all of the parts have arrived from Oliver. We found out tonight that the USB recepticals can only handle charging one cord at a time. Karen tried plugging in her iPad and her phone and it kept kicking out until she removed one of the cords :)

received_10155409278825269.thumb.jpeg.d70b821c42312137c59759369f8ce211.jpeg

I've been making or finishing up some more movies and here's part 4 on the Fiamma Awning -

• Thanks 3

Happy Camping,

null

Thanks Reed, I have the regular deflapper and it wants to comes off. I'll order a pair of the magnum sized ones.

What brand ball bungees do you recommend? I want some about 12 inches long with lots of stretch. Too many of them only have a few inches of range.

Thanks,

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I’m really liking the videos. Thanks for the tip on the deflapper – are you worried that it will stretch the fabric at all?

Nope, it's not something that I really crank down on unless the wind is severe. Having water pooling on top is what worries me as far as stretching. I came back to my motorhome one day after my kids went down and used it in the rain and forgot to lower it back down, and found the awning stretched into a swimming pool full of water... After bailing until I couldn't reach anymore water, I ended up grabbing my knife and putting a slice in the bottom of the lake... It still took an hour or 2 to drain and the weight of all of the water pulled it off of the track and I ended up having to cut it off before I could drive it. But at least they said sorry... Lol.

An old pic of the motorhome, my sister and the kids at our mining claim on the Yuba river when the awning had been drained :)

Screenshot_2017-09-01-08-51-11.thumb.png.f392f4fe45aefd7643e4b03b6fd151d4.png

• Thanks 2

Happy Camping,

null