Sign in to follow this  
HMD1056

Fridges and Convection Ovens

Would it be possible to move the Convection Microwave under the stove and put a larger fridge in the space freed up?  Drawers would be lost--less storage for stuff, but in the OTT II there would still be drawers.  And a larger fridge means larger food storage space, and for me fewer shopping trips.  A drop in or portable small induction stove would mean less propane consumption.  Boondocking for long periods of time isn't for everyone, so simply needing propane for heating water and the furnace would provide the opportunity to use less fuel.  I am not trying to reinvent the mouse trap, just thinking about what would be (for me) a more perfect travel trailer.  I do know these options are available on other trailer brands--but that isn't an option for me.  Any thoughts or ideas?  Thank you!

HMD -

All things are possible with enough time and money. The current propane cooktop really doesn't use very much propane - the water heater and furnace consume much more. However, it would appear that what you really want is a larger fridge. This topic has been discussed a number of times on the Forum previously and the "problem" basically comes down to the molds used for the Oliver shells. Without significant alteration to these shells there is simply no way to fit a larger fridge while allowing for proper ventilation of the fridge and room for a microwave/convection oven. Even if you take out the microwave/oven deal there are still problems.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2017 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

The problem you'll run into is that the upper cabinet is shallower than the fridge cabinet below. So you'd have to find some way to build out a cabinet for the top half of the fridge. I'm sure that's possible, but I'd have a hard time envisioning a way to do it attractively.

I think that building out something either in the closet, or reworking the dinette with a countertop and cabinet below would be a better route for a larger or extra fridge. But the easiest route by far is to just put a portable fridge freezer in the truck. Between our truck fridge and the trailer, we can carry three full weeks of food.

You'll find that your cooktop uses so little percentage of your propane supply that it's really not a factor. If we're not using the furnace, we'll return from a three week trip with practically full tanks. In contrast, an induction cooktop would really gobble up battery power.

• Thanks 1

Snowball • LE2 256 • 2018 Ford Raptor

A few of us have swapped out the 3way fridge for 12v danfoss/ secop type compressor fridges. Since the compressor is much smaller than the cooling units on the 3ways, you can pick up another .5 to maybe even 2 cubic ft of fridge space, in the same footprint. This holds food for a week or two for us. We use a cooler for extra beverages.

I don't think the factory is doing electric fridges, yet.

We have an original shorty Legacy, 2008. We removed the unused microwave, and built a big storage compartment instead, which hold a good week or two of drygoods for us.

If I ever find an electric drawer freezer that could replace a drawer, or possibly even the former microwave cabinet, I might do that. Haven't found anything for our dimensions, but might be something out there for the bigger EII. The drawer units are much more expensive, though, than the more standard reachins.

A dropin induction would be really nice for many people, and probably a possible retrofit. I'm not sure, as we don't have the battery power ( yet), to use induction for cooking, and we don't often camp where we can plug in. rv induction cooktops are 110, not 220 like home builtins, so could be kind of slow compared to what you are used to, if you have an induction range at home, particularly if you use both burners at once.

A few people carry a single induction burner, along with the propane cooktop.

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Thank you all for your replies. I hadn't thought about the changes to the structure or the fact that it is molded to fit the fridge and microwave. Was a huge duhhh moment on my part. Thank you all for your patience and your knowledge.

Well, Oliver modified something to make the convection microwave fit.

I can't say whether the factory would swap out 3way for dc electric fridge, but it sure wouldn't hurt to ask. We love ours. Novakool is one brand. Ours is a truckfridge, made by Indel. I know if at least one other Indel, an Isotherm, in an Oliver.

The more people who ask, the more likely the change will be considered, imo..

Do you plan to camp mostly with hookups? To run our electric fridge, we added a 100 watt portable panel to supplement our 200 watts of fixed solar.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12