Boondocking and using outlets

Lori L

Hello. I have been researching the forum and I am sorry to ask a probably not so smart question and one that’s been answered but I have no power to my outlets. I have the inverter and solar package and I am not plugged into shore power. I have no Internet at my site so I was hoping to get a quick answer for troubleshooting so that I can fix it when I get back to the campsite. This is our first time boondocking  so I am sure I am missing a simple step that was already explained in the delivery walk-through, but….Any answers or links to previous posts or info would be appreciated. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

The GFCI outlet is under the dinette in my 2017 LE2.  I’m not sure where it is in a 2021, so you may have to look around.

Do you know how to turn the inverter on?  I believe there is a remote panel or display that should be active, maybe above the dinette.

Mossey

• Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

Do you have a microwave?  If it is powered up then it could be the GFCI is faulty or needs to be reset.  If the microwave is not powered up with inverter switched ON, the inverter is not putting out power or the GFCI internal to the inverter has failed, (not good).  If the microwave has power you can use its outlet until you get the other outlets powered, it is not on the GFCI circuit, (2017 Oliver Hull 178).

The other possibility is that your battery voltage is below the threshold that will let the inverter come on.  I have seen all 4 failure modes on our Oliver, well 3 actually.  The GFCI on the inverter failed and the inverter had to be replaced, out of warranty of course.

• Like 3

George and Gretchen

Gig Harbor, Wa.

Hull Number 178

One additional step that may possibly be needed is flipping a breaker that's off (on my 2021 this was off when I took delivery - a breaker under the dinette, on the wall of one of the seats). There is also an inline breaker on the power line going into the inverter. These may be on but if those other steps don't work this may also be at issue

• Like 3

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

Inverter still not working. I have pushed the power button on the inverter, flipped the breaker, reset the GCFI plug, and the lithium batteries are charged to over 80%. I will look for the inline breaker as well. Also what should the battery voltage threshold be?  Thank you for all the feedback!! Had the camper less than two months. I guess I will call service department tomorrow. 

What is your battery voltage?  If it is 11.5 or higher it is not likely to be the source of your problem.  My documentation for  2017 model says 10.5 and below the inverter will not operate.  Can you plug a test lamp or other AC device into the outlet on the inverter?  If that doesn't get power then for sure your inverter is not producing power.  It is likely to be an inverter/GFCI internal failure if the inverter is getting good DC power to the input side.  If you have a multimeter you should check input voltage at the inverter.  If it is good, then your inverter is likely to be the problem.  On my 2017 model that was it for sure, but your system and its logic may be different.

George and Gretchen

Gig Harbor, Wa.

Hull Number 178

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Lori L said:

I have pushed the power button on the inverter

Did you "push the power button on the inverter" or the power button on the REMOTE for the inverter? 

Obviously, these two are not the same and if the button you pushed is on the remote you may have an issue with the remote not talking/communicating to the inverter.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Thanks to everyone. I really appreciate you all taking the time to help me!  I have pushed the power button on the wall unit in the cabin and the power button on the inverter itself. I am going to plug something into the inverter itself to check that. Although I don’t have high hopes for that as there has been nothing on the display screen on the inverter. I will also check the voltage when I get back to my campsite.  I hope you all are having a nice weekend!

Interesting about no display on the inverter.  Mine thought it was okay, and it was.  The internal outlet which is the output power for the inverter had a failed GFCI.

I'm thinking input DC voltage tested at the inverter will tell the story.  It is too low for the inverter to power up or inverter failure.

George and Gretchen

Gig Harbor, Wa.

Hull Number 178

22 hours ago, Lori L said:

Inverter still not working. I have pushed the power button on the inverter, flipped the breaker, reset the GCFI plug, and the lithium batteries are charged to over 80%. I will look for the inline breaker as well. Also what should the battery voltage threshold be?  Thank you for all the feedback!! Had the camper less than two months.

Have you calibrated the State-of-Charge (SOC) readings since you purchased the trailer 2 months ago?  If not, the SOC reading may not be accurate, and the battery voltage may be below the low-battery cutoff point (probably about 12.5 volts) even though the SOC reads 80%.  In this case, your 12 volt system may appear to be working, but the batteries are too low for the 110 volt system.  In our case, we inadvertently ran the batteries down to 12.1 volts (in which case nothing worked; we had to hand-crank in the stabilizers and awning), even though the SOC read 60%.

To calibrate the inverter SOC readings, you should run the batteries down to 12.0 (or 12.1) volts, then charge them with shore power to 14.4 volts.  This process should calibrate the SOC readings.  (When charging, the batteries will reach 14.4 volts only fleetingly, and then revert to about 13.6 volts.  Unless you are checking frequently, you may miss the batteries reaching 14.4 volts).

To test whether your SOC may be an uncalibrated value, you might temporarily change the low-battery cutoff value in the Xantrex App (under settings) from 12.5 volts to something like 12.3 volts.  If the 110 volt outlet works then you know the battery SOC algorithm needs to be recalibrated.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

Wow!  That is quite a process you just described!  Very helpful I am sure.

The new system and batteries sound much more complex than my Blue Sky Solar controller, "old" 2,000 watt inverter, and AGM batteries.

Time for me to butt out, it appears my info. is non relevant.

Good luck, I hope it is a simple solution of changing some settings like Fritz has suggested.

• Haha 1

George and Gretchen

Gig Harbor, Wa.

Hull Number 178

Troubleshooting the electrical system on the forum is perhaps something like testing whether or not the spaghetti is cooked: we can all toss suggestions up at the ceiling and see what sticks.  So, no reason to bow out.  I may or may not have it right.

Yes, I agree that the lithium batteries and accompanying inverter/charger are more complex than the older systems (at least the ones that I'm familiar with).  Understanding how these electrical components work as a system is--at least for me--a work in progress.  I've begun trusting the lithium system a bit more as I learn a bit more about it.  

• Thanks 1

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

• Moderators

@geokeg your comments will certainly help others with the earlier system, when someone in the future is searching.

Thank you for clarifying which system you have.  They change and evolve, over time.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.