Our custom tow vehicle.

Wanderers

Hello fellow owners. Thought I'd put up some pics of our tow vehicle. Our truck is an old school GMC 3500 hand shaker 4x4. We picked up our trailer April first of this year and have rolled around 15000km since. We are taking a 2 week break at base camp before we head of to Northern Michigan site a Superior Lake tour. Thought people would like to see pics of the rig.

PXL_20220623_140358745~2.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

IMG_0915.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Fantastic vehicle! Thanks for posting the photos!

Kirk

• Like 2

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

Hey Kirk thanks. It's a work in progress but it makes a great vehicle to explore with while base camp stays parked. Now if the borders can stay open this winter I'll add much needed stuff to the build while in California😉

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, rangerk9 said:

That is one of the most versatile, functional and "Brava Alpha" TVs I have ever seen!  Phenomenal work.  Appreciate the photos.  

I believe in keeping it simple with an old school truck. We enjoy towing the Oliver with it and plan to upgrade as needed. The truck sips diesel @100kph and I love having a manual for those pesky downhills in the mountains💯

• Like 3

Everyone camps differently, that is quite a well stocked TV!
Enjoy your tour of Northern Michigan and Lake Superior.

Post up pics when you can.

Safe travels!

-Patriot

• Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

On 7/24/2022 at 5:01 AM, Trainman said:

I would think you are a full timer, if not I wonder why so much stuff is needed.

trainman

We run about 300 days a year and like to be outdoors. Everything from cycling to hiking and back country skiing. Out door gear takes up a ton of space. We also leave the trailer often and travel for the day. Having a fridge on board and food supply makes for good eats 💯

• Like 3

On 7/24/2022 at 9:36 AM, Mountainman198 said:

Great Rig!  Old school is way cool.  Love towing with a manual vs. automatic and not having to deal with DEF.  Keep on truckin'

Yes for sure. I love the old tech. Manual 4x4 also lol. The old Detroit never skips a beat and when it time we will replace it with the same motor but with the optimizer tweaks the US military has been using. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, VBistro said:

That's a very cool TV!  And you even manage to secure your bikes onboard.  Love it!

Securing the bikes was important as we travel and leave the vehicle unattended. No worries as they are out of site and weather.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DaveAndBecky_NorthernMI said:

Very cool vehicle. Thanks for sharing. I have camped a lot on Lake Superior on US and Canadian side. Both lovely. Lake Superior Provincial Park is lovely and Pictured Rocks in US has some awesome camping too. Enjoy and please share pictures of your adventures!

Hey Dave, this will be our first time visiting the up Michigan area around Superior. We cycle, hike, canoe and love great beer. Any input on locations and must see would be fab.

Thanks PerryG

• Like 1

On 7/27/2022 at 3:04 PM, Wanderers said:

Hey Dave, this will be our first time visiting the up Michigan area around Superior. We cycle, hike, canoe and love great beer. Any input on locations and must see would be fab.

Thanks PerryG

Twelvemile Beach at Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore is a favorite of mine. No hookups and generators only allowed in part of campground but you are right on the the lake for amazing star-gazing and potentially northern lights. Early August is meteor time too. The Chapel rock hike at the lakeshore is really cool. You used to be able to take guided kayak tours of water caves out of Munising. Not sure if that is still a thing.

Twelvemile Beach Campground, Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore - Recreation.gov

Marquette is a great town and you'll find plenty of good beer there. You can even cliff jump into Lake Superior.

Tahquamenon Falls is a must see. The shipwreck museum at Whitefish Point is pretty interesting too (Edmund Fitzgerald)

Tahquamenon Falls State Park Detail

Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum | Edmund Fitzgerald | Great Lakes Shipwreck Historical Society

Heading west Porcupine Mountains Lake of the Clouds is well worth visiting and Keweenaw Peninsula is stunning.

There is a ton of National and State Forest land all over the UP.

On Canadian side I've only visited Lake Superior Provincial Park near Wawa. It is a very nice park right on Superior with electrical hookups. I have not ventured west to Pukaskwa but that park is most definitely on my bucket list.

https://www.ontarioparks.com/park/lakesuperior

Pukaskwa National Park (pc.gc.ca)

I once asked a friend who has camped extensively all over the southwest how much time to spend at Arches NP and Canyonlands. He said a day or two at Arches and a lifetime at Canyonlands. I feel that way about the UP. So much to see.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2022 Oliver Elite II Hull#1047 "Saunter"

2014 VW Touareg TDI

ALAZILINKSMIMONVNMNCOHSCTNTXVAsm.jpg

On 8/2/2022 at 10:29 AM, DaveAndBecky_NorthernMI said:

Twelvemile Beach at Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore is a favorite of mine. No hookups and generators only allowed in part of campground but you are right on the the lake for amazing star-gazing and potentially northern lights. Early August is meteor time too. The Chapel rock hike at the lakeshore is really cool. You used to be able to take guided kayak tours of water caves out of Munising. Not sure if that is still a thing.

Twelvemile Beach Campground, Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore - Recreation.gov

Marquette is a great town and you'll find plenty of good beer there. You can even cliff jump into Lake Superior.

Tahquamenon Falls is a must see. The shipwreck museum at Whitefish Point is pretty interesting too (Edmund Fitzgerald)

Tahquamenon Falls State Park Detail

Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum | Edmund Fitzgerald | Great Lakes Shipwreck Historical Society

Heading west Porcupine Mountains Lake of the Clouds is well worth visiting and Keweenaw Peninsula is stunning.

There is a ton of National and State Forest land all over the UP.

On Canadian side I've only visited Lake Superior Provincial Park near Wawa. It is a very nice park right on Superior with electrical hookups. I have not ventured west to Pukaskwa but that park is most definitely on my bucket list.

https://www.ontarioparks.com/park/lakesuperior

Pukaskwa National Park (pc.gc.ca)

I once asked a friend who has camped extensively all over the southwest how much time to spend at Arches NP and Canyonlands. He said a day or two at Arches and a lifetime at Canyonlands. I feel that way about the UP. So much to see.

Wow thank you so much for the info. We are new to the USA side of Superior and I will be bringing our big water canoe. Will look this caves up. Pakaskwa park is a national park and is totally a must visit if you haven't ever been. We should be in the USA by this Monday as we are about to leave Manitoulin Island and head west to SSM.

Cheers,

PerryG

• Like 1