Alaska Megaadventure Summary

katanapilot

Thanks for the report.  It is on our "bucket list." 

I have heard there is lots of gravel road on that route.  Any rock chips on the front of the Oliver hull?  Did you install any protection in that area, such as 3M paint protection film?  If so, how well did it work?

• Like 3

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

Second the vote on hearing what you did to protect your Ollie as we are buying ours in FEB and very much expect to do a similar trip!

• Like 3

Mike & Marianne Hermann, Scottsdale AZ

2022 RAM 2500 Hemi 4x4

Elite II Hull #1337

4 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

Thanks for the report.  It is on our "bucket list." 

I have heard there is lots of gravel road on that route.  Any rock chips on the front of the Oliver hull?  Did you install any protection in that area, such as 3M paint protection film?  If so, how well did it work?

There are a lot of unimproved roads.  We contemplated installing either the 3M film or Rhino Lining color coded to the Ollie.  Both were expensive ($1300-1500). We decided to wait and see if the Rock Tamers on the Tundra did the job.  The only chips I've seen so far (haven't cleaned the Ollie yet) are on the exterior basement door.  They would have come from the Ollie tires and not the Tundra - so installing mud flaps (like John Davies did I think) - might prevent some of that.

If there are a lot of chips on the front of the Ollie (and I don't think there are) - we will either repair them, install the Rhino lining or just make sure they are coated so water doesn't penetrate beneath the gel coat.

I'm not convinced the rocks are as big of a problem as you may have heard.  I would always slow down and move to the far right whenever being approached from the opposite direction and most other drivers seemed to do the same.  One of our windshield chips was from a Mercedes SUV driver towing an aluminum trailer (won't say what brand but it rhymes with jet stream;) going full speed.

As to pictures, I will work on that when I get caught up from being gone for 8 weeks.  First world problem, I recognize...

• Like 10

We did the same trip this summer. I installed 3m clear vinyl on front lower panels of the Ollie. They got pitted and had several small holes. It was impossible to clean them. I pulled them off at home and no damage to the trailer. Suffered one rock crack in the windshield that I had fixed and a couple rock scratches. 
Averaged 15.1 mpg on F250 power stroke over 10,500 miles.  Oliver towed really well and no need for the antisway hitch. 
The main problem we had was the Truma water heater went out on day three. Despite extensive discussions with both Oliver and Truma, I was unable to get it fixed. I did get a new circuit board sent to a campground and that did not fix it. Neither did a new propane regulator.
I recently took it into a Truma authorized service facility here in Southern California and they had to replace the water heater, it was a total loss. We did splash showers using a pot of hot water. It actually worked well and saved on water use and grey tank capacity. 
Overall a great trip. The Yukon and Alaska are beautiful and impressive. It was truly an adventure. 

312FEE17-EEE5-4ED7-AE5C-AA4C5EB696D2.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Love 2

2016 Oliver Legacy Elite II.  2021 Ford F250 Diesel

• 7 months later...

We're heading up to Alaska this summer - 2023.  Here's the map of our route.

I see Costco's in Fairbanks, Anchorage, Prince George BC.

Any tips on Diesel along the routes we show below?

image.thumb.png.ed00b9780366d634001a832a2c7852be.png

Craig - Hull 505

• Like 5

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

Wow that looks like a real adventure! We would have to drive almost as far just to get to your starting point. Some day, hopefully soon. 🍻

• Like 1

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

6 hours ago, Galway Girl said:

Any tips on Diesel along the routes we show below?

Our trip started and ended in Houston.  If fuel prices this year are like last year.....  Bring a really big wallet.

That said, our trip was worth every penny and was OUTSTANDNG!    

GJ 

• Like 3

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

Katanapilot

Great trip!  How was hauling the Oliver into McCarthy?  Boondocking or camping along the road east of Chitina?  Started in once and quickly decided the road would quickly reduce our old stick and staple trailer into it's component parts.  Backed out with my tail between my legs.  Heading back to AK next year and thinking the Oliver might be up to it.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Jim and Chris Neuman said:

Katanapilot

Great trip!  How was hauling the Oliver into McCarthy?  Boondocking or camping along the road east of Chitina?  Started in once and quickly decided the road would quickly reduce our old stick and staple trailer into it's component parts.  Backed out with my tail between my legs.  Heading back to AK next year and thinking the Oliver might be up to it.

We did not take the Ollie to McCarthy.  We left it at the campground in Glenallen and stayed at the lodge in Kennicott.  The lodge is pricey, but it was a good experience.

The trailer probably would have been fine, but we did not want to risk it based on reports of the condition of the McCarthy road.  I'm not sure where you would camp along the way - maybe others will weigh in on that.

• Like 2