Favorite Camping Accessories.

Katjo

We rarely use our side panels but they are quite handy if it’s raining, colder weather or if you just want some privacy. They are super easy to just velcro on.  

• Like 3

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

14 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

I have not yet used my brand new Clam, but FYI the early versions did not have a rain flap at the top, the new ones do, each one overlaps the side panel by about three inches and is secured by velcro.

I’m going to say maybe on the top rain-flap.  Last weekend I went shopping and bought a second clam brand screen tent.  We already have a Pavilion model.  It’s huge and not all that convenient to set up, move, or store.  Super nice if we stay someplace for a week or so.   It has room for the picnic table, a couple of chairs, and keeps the dogs confined.  The rain panels are built in (they roll down and Velcro on place) with the Pavilion model.   With the latest purchase I went with their Traveler model, their smallest screen tent. It’s 20# and I’ve read it’ll fit in the Oliver’s closet.  I have to tie the Pavilion to the roof of our Land Cruiser.

The Traveler is offered in two colors, brown or green.  While trying to determine if there were any other differences I studied the boxes closely.  The photo on the brown tent’s box clearly showed a rain flap, the green one clearly did not.  I did not study the tents themselves, only the photos on the boxes.   I vaguely remember this also being true a few years ago when shopping for our original Clam screen tent.   The brown ones had rain flaps, the green ones did not. 

Early in this thread others commented about heat inside a Clam screen tent being a problem.   I agree with that.  It can get hot.  When I was looking at Clam tents last week the retailer had a new model demo Clam tent set up with a screen ceiling.  Not sure about the durability, but it sure was bright and cool inside with the screen ceiling.  I think it’s a good idea.  It was a medium sized version, so not what I was looking for.  

hth, Ken

• Like 5

2013 Toyota Land Cruiser 200

2018 Twin Bed Elite II #351

We have the 12.5 by 12.5 pavilion clam and love it. It has been through several down pours and not allowed any rain inside. As noted my biggest complaint is it can get warm, but that has not been too big of an issue even in 90+ degree heat.

• Like 4

2021 Elite II Twin Bed Hull #1023 - Kimba  | 2015 Ford F-150 XLT 4x4 5.0L V8

44 minutes ago, KenB said:

I’m going to say maybe on the top rain-flap.  Last weekend I went shopping and bought a second clam brand screen tent.  We already have a Pavilion model.  It’s huge and not all that convenient to set up, move, or store.  Super nice if we stay someplace for a week or so.   It has room for the picnic table, a couple of chairs, and keeps the dogs confined.  The rain panels are built in (they roll down and Velcro on place) with the Pavilion model.   With the latest purchase I went with their Traveler model, their smallest screen tent. It’s 20# and I’ve read it’ll fit in the Oliver’s closet.  I have to tie the Pavilion to the roof of our Land Cruiser.

The Traveler is offered in two colors, brown or green.  While trying to determine if there were any other differences I studied the boxes closely.  The photo on the brown tent’s box clearly showed a rain flap, the green one clearly did not.  I did not study the tents themselves, only the photos on the boxes.   I vaguely remember this also being true a few years ago when shopping for our original Clam screen tent.   The brown ones had rain flaps, the green ones did not. 

Early in this thread others commented about heat inside a Clam screen tent being a problem.   I agree with that.  It can get hot.  When I was looking at Clam tents last week the retailer had a new model demo Clam tent set up with a screen ceiling.  Not sure about the durability, but it sure was bright and cool inside with the screen ceiling.  I think it’s a good idea.  It was a medium sized version, so not what I was looking for.  

hth, Ken

Great info!
Was the screen ceiling vented or was it entirely screen? Probably not near as durable and no rain protection.  

• Like 2

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

7 hours ago, Mike D. said:

Here’s a link to a previous  post explaining a good way to support that flimsy self-supporting awning,  and some reasons for doing it.  

Support Poles for Awning  

I’ve got a set of the Carefree poles from a previous trailer, but haven’t used them yet with my automatic Girard.  @Mike & Carol’s sun shade looks like a terrific accessory I’d like to have.

Thanks for the link! Yea, I don't think the awning would support any weight without poles, from what we saw at the factory. Just looking at various options. I'm thinking the Clam might fit strapped to the top of the rear bumper, but I'll need to wait until March to find out. Gonna be a looooong winter's wait!

• Like 3

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

47 minutes ago, Steve and Deb said:

I'm thinking the Clam might fit strapped to the top of the rear bumper, 

Yes and no.

A088FF2B-826C-4E72-B797-0299D3A2D4FA.thumb.jpeg.dee06a1d1192cc8b4d8b695c0a9939a6.jpeg

19F9F723-8526-41ED-B886-D6CC9C409E60.thumb.jpeg.112f022f50379c2336bee9ec99a488bc.jpeg

IF you add an LED light bar for your turn and brake lights (see the lower pic) it would be fine, but it is a pretty dirty area  back there. The other end of the bag is a lot skinnier.

The bag will work if you have the receiver option, or build your own rack, but you cannot strap it to the bumper itself and use your waste hose too…. 

John Davies

Spokane WS

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3
  • Wow 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Ours does fit in the back of our short bed truck on an angle but most often (because the truck is loaded) we just set it on the floor along the aisle inside the camper. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

• Moderators

My favorite campground accessory, (partner per se,) is my husband.  Next, my friends that we camp with. 

We don't carry a lot of stuff, but travel a lot of miles.

2nd most important is my tea kettle. 

Not for nothing, but if you're new to camping, please don't buy a truckbed full of stuff for your new trailer.

What you need depends on your camping style. If you don't even know what that is, wait.  And buy it later. My rule has been not to buy it, unless we needed it at least twice or three times.

Our 2008 came with many things that we never, or rarely used. We bought some things that we never, or rarely use.

I carry three good knives, a sharpener,  2 cutting boards,, a wok pan, a skillet. And a small pot, with a lid. I know that sounds spare, but I'm a previous restaurant owner, and I can do most things without anything else, and we don't have a microwave. 

Trust me, you don't have to carry the contents of a home kitchen to enjoy good healthy meals. 

I could see a clam, if you have electric awning. We like sitting out in the rain, if it's not too heavy.

Life is good, camping. 

Just, don't get carried away. Too complicated  =less fun. 

• Like 11
  • Love 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

16 hours ago, Katjo said:

Ours does fit in the back of our short bed truck on an angle but most often (because the truck is loaded) we just set it on the floor along the aisle inside the camper. 

This is what we do now as well. We took a chance and purchased a knock-off from Aldi (Gardenline brand for around $125) and have been completely pleased but it is a seasonal item for them and they seem to sell out quickly so you have to pay attention to be able to get one. Another favorite would be our Luci solar string lights. They store nicely and can go anywhere without needing an extension cord. 

0.thumb.jpg.3c53f5e28cb1179a825eb90748afd6f0.jpg61uuLXEkkeL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.ee25fe2092fe8101fbf172f48a23a55d.jpg

• Like 4

Joe and Mindy ▪️ 2019 Legacy Elite II ▪️ Hull 457

ALAZARFLILKYLAMSMONMOKTNTXUT99FFFFsm.jpg

6 minutes ago, Nancy K. said:

One handy accessory that I made is a bag to hold plastic grocery bags to use for trash.  It hangs from a hook that we installed high up in the closet.image.thumb.jpeg.9e412366eda9319a9a9cce02002720ee.jpeg

That looks a lot more elegant than mine, made from an old tube sock with the toes worn through. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

-----
Facebook - Instagram

map.jpg

jdmmtx, 100 lumens seems really low, do you use the lights inside the Clam? I am guessing you can’t read by them (like the pic of the guy in his all white tent or bed sheet 😬 holding a book) but do they give enough illumination in that bigger space?

097CAE5D-07C3-4736-B632-D02CFB17C3D8.thumb.png.971f8dd1fb81fec1cde062e13fd04796.png

I already have a pop open LED lantern for the middle,  maybe the string lights would be helpful around the perimeter of the ceiling?

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

34 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

jdmmtx, 100 lumens seems really low, do you use the lights inside the Clam? I am guessing you can’t read by them (like the pic of the guy in his all white tent or bed sheet 😬 holding a book) but do they give enough illumination in that bigger space?

097CAE5D-07C3-4736-B632-D02CFB17C3D8.thumb.png.971f8dd1fb81fec1cde062e13fd04796.png

I already have a pop open LED lantern for the middle,  maybe the string lights would be helpful around the perimeter of the ceiling?

John Davies

Spokane WA

I'm certain I haven't used them in my all white tent for reading.😂 I also don't think we've ever used them in the clam but will try that next time because I think they would work well there. We usually hang them from trees as extra lighting and keep them on when our outside trailer lights and lanterns are turned off. They give off more light, though, than I expected and are bright enough that they could be used for task lighting in a pinch (albeit not comparable to any lantern we have).

• Like 3

Joe and Mindy ▪️ 2019 Legacy Elite II ▪️ Hull 457

ALAZARFLILKYLAMSMONMOKTNTXUT99FFFFsm.jpg

I think I will get this overland spec work light, it is 1600 lumens and dimmable. It will be way more versatile for me, I can use it if the truck breaks down at night for example. It comes with an 18 foot power cord with a round cigarette plug on the end. 

5F918CA7-AB6D-4946-893F-62B406BC7BD2.thumb.jpeg.a01a95b5dae6a817f44031ab6dd423fb.jpeg

https://www.lightforce.com/en_us/flexlight

Video Review Lightforce Flex Light

I can also use it with my Viking jump start battery, it has a 6 amp 12 volt adapter cord:

02B20778-A7F5-41B8-9F74-F00B58D4FF7F.thumb.jpeg.128aa1682368d47e7da955db500d6eae.jpeg

Or I can plug it into my long charge cable for the ARB fridge, which I rarely use, that goes into the Ollie solar port, or I can power it off an extension cord and the Ollie inverter using a power adapter.

38216BA6-A75C-46AB-BEBB-93BA18BA7B21.thumb.jpeg.624b50e937f595a2b581d0f260779673.jpeg

Lightforce is an Australian company and their lighting products are tested in the outback and of VERY stellar quality.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 3

I think it depends on what you want the solar lights for, tasks or just ambience. I would like some low lighting for my Clam just for ambience. We have lanterns but I think the string solar lights would be so pretty around the Clam. Has anyone hung them around their Clam? If so what did you use to hang them? 

• Like 1

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

We have the Luminoodle string lights, and I added the optional dimmer. I hate bright lights around camp, and especially the folks in campgrounds that leave them on all night. Might as well camp at Walmart. 😁

With the squaredrop, we hang a string inside the outhouse tent for those middle of the night excursions. We won’t need to do that once our Oliver is ready!!

inside our Clam, we use either Luci inflatable lights at the lowest setting, or, more likely, citronella candles. 

@Katjo that’s not my bag holder. I was just noting that we use one of my old tube socks. 😉

Steve

• Like 4

-----
Facebook - Instagram

map.jpg

24 minutes ago, Steve and Deb said:

We have the Luminoodle string lights, and I added the optional dimmer. I hate bright lights around camp, and especially the folks in campgrounds that leave them on all night. Might as well camp at Walmart. 😁

With the squaredrop, we hang a string inside the outhouse tent for those middle of the night excursions. We won’t need to do that once our Oliver is ready!!

inside our Clam, we use either Luci inflatable lights at the lowest setting, or, more likely, citronella candles. 

@Katjo that’s not my bag holder. I was just noting that we use one of my old tube socks. 😉

Steve

Ohhh, I misread that! A tube sock works, in fact that’s pretty clever!👍🏼

• Like 1

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

I never camp without Thermacell! Mosquitos love me (feeling is not mutual) I have 2 of these Thermacells, a rechargeable and a patio version. They work so well that I use them at home too. 

What do you use to keep mosquitos away? 

Thermacell Mosquito Repellent E-Series Rechargeable Repeller with 20’ Mosquito Protection Zone; Includes 12-Hr Repellent Refill; No Spray, Flame or Scent; DEET-Free Bug Spray Alternative https://a.co/d/1UtLtSi 

30A9F4F3-9E53-4D67-AFA4-12E63C8AD77D.jpeg

• Love 1

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan