Changing TPMS Batteries

I thought that I'd post this in case anyone else runs into the situation that I did whereby the TPM sensor battery compartment was unable to be removed with the supplied stamped sheet metal wrench.  In my case the battery compartment was so stuck on that the supplied wrench began rounding off the plastic hex nut profile of the sensor, had I gone any further the sensor would have been ruined.  I ended up using a 1/2 inch six-sided socket that provided much more surface area contact than the wrench and the socket did not mar the surface of the plastic nut; even doing that I was unable to grasp the barrel end of the sensor with enough force using my hand to unscrew the barrel from the sensor until I squeezed the barrel between the padded hand grips of my channel-lock pliers ( don't use the jaw end or you'll risk crushing the barrel ).  

Curiously ProSmart used to ship a tool that more accurately fit the profile of the sensor but have included only the stamped sheet metal wrench in the current kits which provides significantly less surface area contact leading to the possibility of destroying the plastic nut profile.   

Also, when replacing tires I'd recommend changing the tire stems to metal versions rather than rubber to prevent premature failure of the stem as a result of the added weight of the TPM sensors.  

IMG_8936_Mod.jpg

IMG_8937_Mod.jpg

IMG_8938_Mod.jpg

IMG_8939_Mod.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Tom & Doreen • 2023 Elite ll • Hull #1321 • 2023 Tundra Platinum Crew Max • Cheshire CT 

States1.jpg

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

Thanks for the info. Does that sensor use an oring? If so it needs to be inspected and replaced if necessary. I always add a dab of silicone dielectric grease to the oring and threads to to keep out moisture and prevent thread seizing. I am glad you figured out how to get it open, non-destructively.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Our previous SOB TT had a TPMS with sensors that required shipping back to the factory for battery replacement (2003 vintage).  Not a cheap date!.  

After going through that drill a couple times, we opted for a new style TPMS that comes with its own battery replacement tool kit, spare O-rings, and valve stem-mounted dust caps.  

Its a cool set-up, albeit a bit of a small read-out screen, but its solar powered - so far, so good.

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

I second the TST tpms, but any tpms is better than nothing!

• Like 2

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

• Moderators

I got the EZZ Tire TPMS a few years ago and have been satisfied.   Batteries are easy to change too.

As rich.dev says - ANY TPMS is better than nothing!

Whatever you do - get a TPMS with 6 sensors.  You will need 4 sensors for the Ollie tires hitting the ground plus a 5th sensor for the spare tire.  The 6th sensor is for the spare tire on your tow vehicle.

Bill

EEZ Tire can be found HERE.

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

The "spare" sensor also comes in handy if you need to send one in for repair, under warranty. 

We love our tst. Nice folks, great product, superlative customer service.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I purchased the TireMinder i10 system with 6 sensors (I second the recommendation by @topgun2 to purchase 5 sensors).  I am happy with the system, which has a small monitor which I keep in the console of the TV when towing.  The monitor sounds an alarm to alert of problem conditions.  TechnoRV.com is a good source.

On the recommendation of @John E Davies, I also purchased two extension hoses to attach to the spare tires on our LEII and TV, Cheme Extension Hose, Air, 36" (2).    In addition, I purchase a pair of valve stem extensions, Mellbree 2-Pack Tire Valve Extension, 90 Degree Schrader Tire Valve Stem Extension.  

These additions have proven to be quite beneficial, as the spare on the LEII is mounted with the valve facing the trailer body, requiring removal of the spare to adjust the air pressure.  Our TV also stores the spare with the valve facing down, requiring removing the spare from its storage well to adjust the air pressure.  In both cases this PITA is eliminated by having the extension hose installed with the TPMS sensor at the end and accessible.

Don

• Like 2

spacer.pngNorth Texas | 2022 LEII, Hull #990, delivered 2/17/22 | 2014 BMW X5 35d

On 7/4/2023 at 10:18 AM, topgun2 said:

As rich.dev says - ANY TPMS is better than nothing!

AMEN! to that, brother!  "Tire Blow-out on the Road" - been there, done that, but didn't get the T-shirt for it.  But did get another set of 5 tires after that drill!

Edited by MAX Burner
added additional info...

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX