Air Bags/Helper Springs

Rivernerd

Based on comments from many posters on this forum, I considered trading in our 2019 Tundra tow vehicle for a 3/4 ton Dodge, Chevy or Ford pickup.  But, after much research, and bargaining with local dealers, I concluded that 3/4 ton truck prices are still too high for our budget, even given the high prices being offered for Tundra trade-ins.  The much lower reliability ratings for the Dodge, Chevy and Ford offerings, compared to Tundras, also weighed heavily in our judgment.

So, I determined to make our 2019 Tundra 5.7L V8, with tow package, a more capable tow vehicle, to the extent reasonable.  I found comments on Tundra forums suggesting that towing performance, particularly "jounce," would be somewhat improved by the addition of rear air bags/helper springs.  Some posters on this forum have already installed them, so I decided to take the plunge.

The rear air bags are now installed.  As advised by posters on this forum, the air bags are presently set at about 25 PSI.  Our next 4-day camping adventure, starting tomorrow, will provide a good opportunity to determine if the towing experience feels any different than before airbag installation.  But one difference became quite noticeable when I hooked up the trailer:  the rear of the Tundra sat higher, causing the trailer to sit "nose up" when hitched. 

Because I am compulsive about towing with my trailers as level as possible, I switched the Andersen WD hitch mount from the "up" position (where the ball assembly had been bolted in the lowest position) to the "down" position, with the ball assembly bolted into the top position.  Because of the design of the Andersen hitch mount, this resulted in the trailer coupler sitting about 1.5" lower than before.  As  you can see from the photos below, the trailer once again sits close to level when hitched.  The first ("before") photo was taken last April.  The second ("after") photo was taken today.  Note that in the April photo, the rear truck fender well clearance is less than the front fender well clearance.  In the August photo, rear fender well clearance is actually greater than front fender well clearance.  So, the airbags are, indeed, preventing "squat" with the trailer attached.  Notably, our Tundra came from the factory with rear fender well clearance about 1-1/2" higher than front fender well clearance (37"--front; 38-1/2" rear).  I wondered if this was designed to compensate for "squat" when towing a trailer?  With the air bags now installed, the truck fender well clearances, with the trailer attached, are the same as the factory clearances with no trailer: 37" front, 38-1/2" rear.  BeforeAirBags_AndersenHitchUp.thumb.jpg.c875710df7cc8d429a09ad350160fd84.jpgWithAirBags_AndersenHitchDown.thumb.jpg.da1b12fd06b4af627234f5ea330c7b23.jpg

I will report our observations of any difference in trailer handling after we return home this weekend. 

Hope this helps someone choosing to install airbags/helper springs on a Tundra.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 10

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

Really like air bags on a tow vehicle. Had air bags on our previous 2016 Tundra and currently on our 2003 Tacoma for smaller trailers. Made the Tundra/Ollie rig handle with more stability. Installed Timbren suspension enhancement system on our 2022 Tundra, but still prefer air bags for towing Ollie.

• Like 3

2015 LE2

• Moderators

Reducing vehicle sag and jouncing reduces stress on the vehicle, trailer and driver.  I'm on my second tow vehicle since 2008 and on both my Tacoma and F150, I added an easily  installed helper spring, by Roadmaster, which smooths out the ride and limits overall sagging.  It can be adjusted during the setup for your particular needs.

• Like 2

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

11 hours ago, Mountainman198 said:

That is a handsome looking combo you have there. 

Looks pretty similar to the one in your photo!

• Like 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

11 hours ago, Mountainman198 said:

That is a handsome looking combo you have there. 😃

Have Firestone airbags on my Tundra as well, also set at 25 lbs.  Reduced jouncing a lot.  I think you will like the way the rig rides now.

Oliver Joshua Tree.jpeg

Great pic- gotta be eastern Sierras.  My dream set-up.

@Rivernerd:  This isn't the best ever photo of our rig after installing AirLift bags because of the uneven approach onto the apron of the "Cave" - but judging by the front/rear fender/wheel clearance, it looks very close to yours.  This is running 25psi in the bags...  As reported in an earlier thread, we noticed a reduction in the "porpoising" at slow speeds and an overall better ride (handling-wise) under tow.  I'm thinking you'll be liking your airbag mod in the long run...

Safe travels - cheers!

70914673792__A02B3478-6CC8-4E17-9313-604DF416FADC.thumb.jpeg.3818901fe23542dd35ae43604b02885e.jpeg

• Like 4

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

• Moderator+

I’m throwing this in just to make sure everyone understands that there is NOTHING you can add to a vehicle that will increase its cargo or towing capacity. Not air bags, springs or anything else. 

• Like 6

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

4 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

I’m throwing this in just to make sure everyone understands that there is NOTHING you can add to a vehicle that will LEGALLY increase its cargo or towing capacity. Not air bags, springs or anything else. 

Fixed that for you. 😉

Which is funny, because with something like my Land Cruiser, in Australia I could add an relativity inexpensive rear end kit that’s been government certified to increase the legal cargo capacity by about 1200 pounds, resulting in a 2600 pound capacity. That’s nuts, and I’d never do it. But doing the same thing here and getting in an accident, I’d loose my home to some lawyer…

• Like 3

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

Would never tow Ollie on the highway with our 2003 4 cylinder Tacoma, but it helps the Tacoma’s confidence moving Ollie around home. It has 0” sag with it’s airbags inflated to 30 psi.

When towing Ollie with our 1/2 ton 2022 Tundra, the Timbren rear suspension enhancement system helps our Tundra handle Ollie nicely without ever exceeding any of the Tundra’s capacities. Have to admit we are minimalist how we load & camp. I understand why folks here like 3/4 & 1 ton tow vehicles for Ollie towing duty.  For our style of camping a 1/2 ton TV with suspension enhancement works fine towing our LE2.

• Like 5

2015 LE2

• Moderator+
5 hours ago, Steve Morris said:

Fixed that for you. 😉

Which is funny, because with something like my Land Cruiser, in Australia I could add an relativity inexpensive rear end kit that’s been government certified to increase the legal cargo capacity by about 1200 pounds, resulting in a 2600 pound capacity. That’s nuts, and I’d never do it. But doing the same thing here and getting in an accident, I’d loose my home to some lawyer…

Maybe in Australia but not in the United States. The final say is that sticker affixed to the driver’s side door post. If you know of a way to have the manufacturer reissue that sticker with increased weight capacities based on ANYTHING that you have personally added to the vehicle post delivery, I’m sure there are lots of folks here that would be interested in you explaining how it’s done. 

• Like 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

ScubaRx, is absolutely correct about devices that increase stability and ride performance not raising towing capacity.  Steve Morris' reference to his permission to modify his Land Cruiser in Australia (if he wanted to) for increased capacity is interesting.

But let's not stray afield from the OP's original  posting about devices which can enhance ride stability while towing our trailers.

Read your individual tow vehicle's manual. Stay within your limits. 

Safe equipment for the best towing experience is what we are about here. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

18 hours ago, Mountainman198 said:

Joshua Tree.  Highly recommend

Great rock climbing!

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX