Putting our Oliver in its spot

Townesw

I have a lot of stuff in my shop. I’m getting rid of a lot of it but I still have to put our Oliver in an exact place to maximize space and be able to move stuff around it. A few years ago I made marks on a line parallel to the side wall with a paint pen then placed soccer cones on the marks to guide me while backing, keeping the tires close to the line of cones. After the trailer is in place I store the cones an a shelf by the door. Saves a bunch of time when storing the trailer. 

IMG_5595.thumb.jpeg.845d6db0aad7ef01ce4590f9154cf26c.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

We've used a "target" for years with our SOB and now our OTT.  We only had approximately 9" of clearance on either side with the SOB, now much more with the Ollie.  Whew!

Parallel lines work for us - but the absolute game changer with when we added a front hitch to the TV...  The camper had to been consistently placed correctly in its "spot" or like, @Townesw mentioned, we can't move stuff around it with the bay door closed.  With the front hitch, you just steer the camper into place - no more "raised-voice" commands from Magnus and the lovely spouse.  HA!

IMG_0006.thumb.jpeg.c650a882eca8f852e1862731b592406e.jpeg

• Like 9

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

• Moderator+
12 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

Parallel lines work for us - but the absolute game changer with when we added a front hitch to the TV...

IMG_0006.thumb.jpeg.c650a882eca8f852e1862731b592406e.jpeg

I've had a front hitch on every one of the five tow vehicles we've owned and I've been preaching this sermon for years. Maybe folks will listen to you.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

14 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

We've used a "target" for years with our SOB and now our OTT.  We only had approximately 9" of clearance on either side with the SOB, now much more with the Ollie.  Whew!

Parallel lines work for us - but the absolute game changer with when we added a front hitch to the TV... 

I totally agree.  Using the front hitch I can get the Oli within a couple of inches  most times on first try.

• Like 4

Early 1999 Ford F250 SD 7.3L Diesel 

2020 Elite II Twin -  Hull # 648

We have been considering getting an Oliver LEII (used) but our detached insulated garage clearance doesn’t look to be big enough

It is 9’7” high …….and only 22’ 7” deep back wall to garage door 

Oliver shows the spec length of  23’ 6” 

I am curious for storage if I could remove the hitch coupler and get the 11 inches needed to get the garage door closed

The 18 ft model with a single axle just doesn’t fit our desires

any ideas on this ?

• Moderators

you could get a couple of inches by simply dropping the rear bumper.

Unfortunately, I do not presently have access to my Oliver in order to measure how much distance you'd get by removing the Bulldog assembly.

Obviously, you could either do a short (2 foot) "bump-out" at either the front or back of the garage to gain the extra room needed.

Good luck.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Tideline77. You should extend the garage and raise the door opening, not shorten the Ollie. You will never be happy otherwise - you risk damaging the trailer, damaging the garage itself, and you and your SO will be constantly frustrated. Plus you will not have any room for other stuff in there.

Ideally you need a foot of clearance at the coupler so you can easily maneuver around it with the door closed, and three feet on all sides and at the back. This allows you to open the trailer door and cargo/ battery access doors and actually get into them. For example, to slide out the batteries for service or winter storage. 

One Ollie owner actually lowered his concrete garage slab rather that raising the structure. Radical, but it turned out well. 

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Our Ollie has been outside year round since it was new.

I do clean and wax in the spring (two coats) and fall because of the outside storage.

But then again, we are up north where the UV is not as hard as in the south.

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

@John E Davies is right on.   We've got 5 feet on the street side (wish there was 6) about 3 feet on the street side (wish it was 6!) that's the side where the work bench is located.   6 feet of clearance in the back but 18" of that is floor to ceiling shelving.  With the minimal clearances we have, equipment, bikes, folding tablesaw, etc. can barely be moved around with the rollup door closed.  Our hitch is only a couple inches from the rollup when closed - but we can step over it to get to the entry door.  Your detached garage needs to be bigger by the way you describe its size.  Get a CalMark cover and park it next to your "shop" - maybe add an over hang to the shop for added protection.  

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX