Blowout...

johnwen

9 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

Before we got our newest truck with tire sensors supplied for the trailer, we use the TST system with great success. I did use the booster and I wired it to my camera switch. When the rear camera was on (always during travel) there was power going to the booster. I sold this entire system to a new owner several years ago. I believe it is one of the best aftermarket brands.

Did you wire it up right by the switch up front, or in the rear where the canera is?

Early 1999 Ford F250 SD 7.3L Diesel 

2020 Elite II Twin -  Hull # 648

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
On 10/3/2023 at 9:29 AM, John Welte said:

How is the booster installed? 

For the trip home from Hohenwald, I put a cigarette lighter plug on the booster and used Velcro to stick it on the wall behind the front dinette seat, plugged into the outlet below the seat. Worked fine. A year later, every time I plug it in before a trip I say to myself, "I really need to mount that permanently..." 🤔

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

• Moderator+
6 hours ago, 2008RN said:

Did you wire it up right by the switch up front, or in the rear where the canera is?

I mounted the booster at the front of the trailer underneath the bathroom vanity. I ran a power wire from the switch up front (by the door in our camper). Somehow, I wasn't aware of the "mount near the tires" rule. But it worked well from this position.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

18 hours ago, John Welte said:

Steve,

Did you use alligator clips on the battery terminals?

John

Our TST repeater came with ring terminals already crimped on, so we bolted them directly to the battery terminals, arranged so they're not between the battery terminal and the 4/0 cables the bolts hold down.  We don't want the ring terminals to conduct current between the battery and the inverter/charger.

This thread got me curious, so I looked up TST's repeater instructions online, which doesn't mention mounting the repeater close to the wheels. I was certain I was following this direction when I installed it, so I found the original documents that came with the kit.  There's a separate card describing the preferred mounting location as "FOR BEST RESULTS MOUNT IN BATTERY BOX CLOSEST TO THE WHEELS".  I suppose the battery box is on the tongue of most trailers, so "closest to wheels" was probably meant to avoid mounting where the battery shields the repeater from the sensors.  Of course, for our trailers the battery box is close to the wheels.  It works fine. 

Steve

Repeater insert.pdfTST-Repeater.pdf

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Steve H & Mary Allyn W

San Antonio, TX

2022 LE II Hull #969 "Un Œuf", 2021 MB Sprinter 3500 "Polly", 2016 GMC Canyon 2.8L diesel "Max"

16 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

I mounted the booster at the front of the trailer underneath the bathroom vanity. I ran a power wire from the switch up front (by the door in our camper). Somehow, I wasn't aware of the "mount near the tires" rule. But it worked well from this position.

ScubaRX,

I love the idea of wiring to the Rear camera switch.  My Oli wasn't purchased with a camera. So I put in a camera year ago. My 2020 Oli fortunately was pre-wired with a camera Positive wire from where the switches are at to the rear upper section of the Oli. All I had to do was put in a switch in the panel and hook up wires. 

I think from the rear camera wire, I could end up placing a repeater either in the rear, in the pantry, or in the vanity.   I already have a sender for the camera in the vanity, I don't know if having 2 senders in the vanity would interfere with each other.  

I have though about buying a TST system in the past, but I just figured on doing stuff the old fashion way.  Now with this thread, I now think it is something that is more of a must instead of nice to have option.

Early 1999 Ford F250 SD 7.3L Diesel 

2020 Elite II Twin -  Hull # 648

1 hour ago, 2008RN said:

ScubaRX,

I love the idea of wiring to the Rear camera switch.  My Oli wasn't purchased with a camera. So I put in a camera year ago. My 2020 Oli fortunately was pre-wired with a camera Positive wire from where the switches are at to the rear upper section of the Oli. All I had to do was put in a switch in the panel and hook up wires. 

I think from the rear camera wire, I could end up placing a repeater either in the rear, in the pantry, or in the vanity.   I already have a sender for the camera in the vanity, I don't know if having 2 senders in the vanity would interfere with each other.  

I have though about buying a TST system in the past, but I just figured on doing stuff the old fashion way.  Now with this thread, I now think it is something that is more of a must instead of nice to have option.

A tire pressure monitoring system was the first thing we bought to bring at delivery day.  We have the TST and like the monitor on the dash.  After you set the parameters, you don't have to watch it as it will alert you if the tire pressure or temperature goes outside of your settings.  I think it's a must have item.

John 

• Like 2

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

• Moderators
4 hours ago, 2008RN said:

I now think it is something that is more of a must instead of nice to have option.

Good for you!  Even more important than the camera - in my opinion.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderator+
4 hours ago, 2008RN said:

ScubaRX,

I don't think it really matters where the repeater for tire minder system is actually located, but I am positive that you are correct in thinking that having the system is a must rather than a nice toy. It could very well save your (or someone else's) life or, at the very least, your bacon!

• Like 3

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

3 hours ago, johnwen said:

Here is where we put ours...thanks for all the help :classic_smile:

20231006_144154.jpg

That makes sense to put it on the batteries.  Good idea.

John

• Thanks 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

For best performance of any radio repeater, the repeater should be located roughly 1/2 way between the transmitters and receiver, at a slight elevation to avoid obstacles. Also, the antenna on the repeater should be oriented the same way as the antenna on the receiver. However, in practice, the distance from our sensors to the TV dash is so short, pretty much any installation (short of the back bumper) should be sufficient.

K1PDB

• Like 2

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

16 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

but I am positive that you are correct in thinking that having the system is a must rather than a nice toy.

My TST repeater install, inside the battery box with direct connection to the batteries. No connectivity issues for three years, other than from weak monitor batteries which are easy to replace. I also have monitors on the TV. The ‘early warning’ a TPMS provides is most definitely a preventative measure to lessen the occurrence of a blowout or other catastrophic situation.

IMG_4614.thumb.jpeg.f141af592767f1e7ece89fd92270bf85.jpeg

• Like 1

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt