Newbies taking the plunge - Are we missing anything

• Moderators

Tell us what your tow vehicle is.  If it’s half ton or smaller, I would keep the Andersen.  If bigger, you could go without the Andersen.  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators
Posted (edited)

If you need it - see Mike's post above this one - then watch several of the YouTube video's out there referencing the Andersen.  Also, know that it does get MUCH easier the more you work with it and understand what you should do in the varying situations.  There are also a bunch of posts here on the Forum about working with the Andersen.

Even though our Ollies do not sway and even if you don't think that you need the Andersen, please be aware that if you are towing with a 1/2 ton (or similar) vehicle the manufacturers of those vehicles call for a weight distribution hitch.  Given that, if you decide to not use this Andersen then you will subject yourself to liability in the event of an accident where you are not using it.

Once you know how to use the Andersen, it really isn't a big deal to hookup and detach (99% of the time).  Invariably, that 1% happens when you are in a rush, its raining, its cold, you're not happy (for various reasons) and/or you are (or have to) hookup at an angle much different from the angle at which you unhooked.

Take your time - it will get better.

Bill

p.s.  put the info below as your signature and you will not have to do it again.  Also, it will tend to get you better and quicker info if you need help in the future.

Edited by topgun2
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Steph and Dud B said:

We have a thermometer with 2 extra sensors. One goes in the fridge, the other either outside or in between the hulls.

With regards to the fridge sensors - 

There are a bunch of choices out there these days.  But, since I'm not the brightest bulb and am generally interested in things other than what the temp is in my fridge/freezer, I simply found that I didn't (usually)  even look at the readout to see what was going on in there.  

So, I bought one of THESE and set the alarm.  Now, when I return to the Ollie from a long day of fishing or hiking or being on the road, the alarm makes me look at it.  This functions two ways - 1 - if the temp is too low I can figure out why and (hopefully) fix that fast.  And, 2 - if the temp is too high, I can adjust the controls in order to lower the temp thus saving either propane and/or battery.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

My Anderson issues aren’t really Anderson issues.  With the hitch attached the truck and trailer have driven quite nicely.

My issue is more the airbags on my ram.  They raise and lower the hitch during hook up and release. Not only is that a bit scary, but it means it’s never the same. Or at least I don’t yet know how to make it the same every time. Ultimately that has meant that I manually tension the chains after hook up. and I am not a trained technician.

I think in the long run, I will either become a trained technician or get a truck without airbags. We will see.

Thanks everyone for all the handholding.

2024 OLEII - Hull MDIV, born 3/13/24

Ram 1500  5.7L 8 cyl hemi, 4wd, max tow, air shocks, 6’4” box, crew cab

visited-united-states-map.png

Posted (edited)

By the way, after eight nights in subfreezing temperatures, we finally depleted the first propane tank. Very impressed. And I now know how the regulator works. I also know that you can Google the Truma error codes and get a wonderful description of what’s going on. I could not have asked for better automation.

Edited by Dennis and Melissa
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

Upgrade to the MicroAir T-stat - gives a nice BIG readout of set temp and current inside temp.

Very nice thermostat but sadly no option for Truma on their website! 

• Sad 1

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

2 hours ago, rich.dev said:

but sadly no option for Truma on their website! 

Wouldn't be surprised if that changes as more and more Truma appliances migrate to the RV market... right?

• Like 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Dennis and Melissa said:

Ram 1500  Laramie, 5.7L 8 cyl hemi, 4wd, max tow, air shocks, 6’4” box, crew cab

I towed our Oliver with two different Ram 1500’s, similar to yours but neither had airbags.  I used the Andersen with them.  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• 2 weeks later...

Another first today: the dreaded emptying of the NH "compost".
Truth be told, I've had much worse experiences changing baby diapers.  But don't tell my wife 🙂

Yesterday we made all the reservations for our trip to the rally in AL.  Starting in RI.  Stopping in: Delaware Water Gap (4 days),  Gettysburg NP (3), Shenandoah NP (11), New River Gorge NP (12), Mammoth Cave NP (4).

Now to go buy a grease gun and figure out what a zerk is, and how many of them I have..... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dennis and Melissa said:

Now to go buy a grease gun and figure out what a zerk is, and how many of them I have.....

Here's a nice video from Oliver (Jason) showing where the 16 grease zerks are and how to grease them, enjoy! make sure you buy a grease gun with flexible hose and a lockNlube grease gun style coupler like this.  

Edited by rich.dev
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 3

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

I need some advice....
We have a (mild?) smell at the entrance, only at the entrance, just as you step inside.
No smell in the bathroom.  Nothing in the closet.  Nothing at any of the drains to the grey tank.  Nothing in the fridge.
It's almost as if it comes from the ceiling???

If I had to guess, I would say it smelled like natural gas (specifically the mercaptans they add to it).
But, I'm assuming, if we really did have a propane leak, the alarm would have gone off (or we would be dead by now).

The obvious suspect was the NH toilet.  But it doesn't smell at all the same.
Any thoughts?

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

Well - 

there is a "one way air valve" under the galley sink that prevents grey tank odors from coming back up through the sink drain.  Every now and then this valve can become "stuck" and what you will get is almost exactly what you describe.

The "fix" is to get under the sink and give that valve a couple of light to medium taps with a hammer or something similar.  Don't overdo the taps.  If that doesn't do it - get yourself some grey tank deodorant and follow the instructions.

Good luck!

Bill 

p.s.  this stuff can be found in the RV section (usually near sporting goods) in many WalMarts, or at most RV places and (of course) Amazon like THIS STUFF

Edited by topgun2
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Dennis and Melissa said:

If I had to guess, I would say it smelled like natural gas (specifically the mercaptans they add to it).
But, I'm assuming, if we really did have a propane leak, the alarm would have gone off (or we would be dead by now).

I would not rely on a detector, if we smell propane, we shut of the tanks and start troubleshooting.  Trust your instincts!

Mossey

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

1 hour ago, topgun2 said:

Well - 

there is a "one way air valve" under the galley sink that prevents grey tank odors from coming back up through the sink drain.  Every now and then this valve can become "stuck" and what you will get is almost exactly what you describe.

TY.  That's what I first suspected.  But I would expect the smell to be stronger at the drain if that were the case.  And that's not true.

59 minutes ago, mossemi said:

I would not rely on a detector, if we smell propane, we shut of the tanks and start troubleshooting.  Trust your instincts!

Mossey

Hmmm...  Not sure what to do then.  I'm gonna turn off the tanks for a bit.  See if it goes away.  And I'll double check the detector.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Dennis and Melissa said:

TY.  That's what I first suspected.  But I would expect the smell to be stronger at the drain if that were the case.  And that's not true.

Don't forget that the drain vent is above the closet and you would be closest to it while entering the Ollie.  

Mossey

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, mossemi said:

Don't forget that the drain vent is above the closet and you would be closest to it while entering the Ollie.  

Mossey

yes.
And when we came home tonight, i could smell it from in front of the trailer, too
So, I'm back to thinking that's the most likely culprit.
But the drains smell like nothing, so not sure how it could affect inside???
Be that as it may, we are doing the "clean the grey" tank stuff tomorrow.

• Like 1

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dennis and Melissa said:

But the drains smell like nothing, so not sure how it could affect inside???

That’s the P-trap's job or in the Ollie, it's the one way valve under the kitchen sink topgun2 mentioned above.  The bathroom has a P-trap and it creates a block in the vent system with water in the trap.  The one way valve under the kitchen sink does the same with a valve.

4 hours ago, Dennis and Melissa said:

It's almost as if it comes from the ceiling???

You said you don’t smell it anywhere else in the Ollie, so maybe you are bringing it inside when you enter the door,

Mossey

Edited by mossemi
Clarification
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mossemi said:

You said you don’t smell it anywhere else in the Ollie, so maybe you are bringing it inside when you enter the door,

I'm hoping this is the case.
And I just noticed you are from Lutz.  We are in New Tampa. 🙂

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dennis and Melissa said:

And I'll double check the detector.

When you say "detector" are you referring to the CO/Propane Alarm?  Or to a Gas Detector (a measuring tool that you brought, doesn't come with the Oliver)?  Like this: https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Detector-Portable-Combustible-Explosive/dp/B07FSVCSSL

On 4/6/2024 at 12:47 PM, rich.dev said:

Here's a nice video from Oliver (Jason) showing where the 16 grease zerks are and how to grease them, enjoy! make sure you buy a grease gun with flexible hose and a lockNlube grease gun style coupler like this.  

Greasing the Zerks was an easy job, thanks to Jason's excellent video referenced above. The only thing I would add that really helped me out is one of those small mirrors on a stick that you can use to see better at the zerks that are sandwiched. You'll know what I mean once you get to the job. I found one of those mirrors for $1 at the "discount" basket at a feed n seed store last summer. 

Edited by Boudicca908
added link
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYLAMONENDOKSDTNTXWYCCCCCC

3 hours ago, Boudicca908 said:

When you say "detector" are you referring to the CO/Propane Alarm?  Or to a Gas Detector (a measuring tool that you brought, doesn't come with the Oliver)? 

The first.

Smell just 

On 4/6/2024 at 11:57 AM, Dennis and Melissa said:

We have a (mild?) smell at the entrance, only at the entrance, just as you step inside.

Much more likely is you are smelling one of the sources as mentioned above.

But just to cover a very remote possible source not yet mentioned:

Take a strong wiff of your over the door head bumper.  Could have gotten wet and went south on you. 

Not likely, but worth a 4 second check.

GJ

• Thanks 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg