Stop the LP rust

I pulled my propane tank out and was horrified at all the rust around the bottom ring of the tanks, and on the mounting tray.  That area seems to attract dirt and it eventually wore away the paint and rusted.  Sand paper and paint fixed the immediate problem, but I wanted to prevent it from happening again.

I started looking for some sheet rubber on Amazon, but then I discovered inexpensive rubber rings by Mopeka Products for$ 7.99.  They areIMG_2876.thumb.jpeg.8cd1e964566b865c74ece49714fb3a7d.jpeg designed to fit on the bottom ring of the propane tanks.  They fit perfectly, and they also stop that cringe worthy grind when putting the tanks on pavement.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 10

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
26 minutes ago, Snackchaser said:

They fit perfectly, and they also stop that cringe worthy grind when putting the tanks on pavement.

We bought a pair for installation when we took delivery in November, 2022.  They have performed well.  I expect they will last for many years to come, perhaps longer than the propane tanks.

• Like 4

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

They work great - makes for a bit of a "tight fit", but definitely serves their purpose well...

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

On 12/31/2023 at 6:26 PM, Snackchaser said:

I pulled my propane tank out and was horrified at all the rust around the bottom ring of the tanks, and on the mounting tray.  That area seems to attract dirt and it eventually wore away the paint and rusted.  Sand paper and paint fixed the immediate problem, but I wanted to prevent it from happening again.

I started looking for some sheet rubber on Amazon, but then I discovered inexpensive rubber rings by Mopeka Products for$ 7.99.  They areIMG_2876.thumb.jpeg.8cd1e964566b865c74ece49714fb3a7d.jpeg designed to fit on the bottom ring of the propane tanks.  They fit perfectly, and they also stop that cringe worthy grind when putting the tanks on pavement.

Good idea. Thanks.

• Like 1

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4X4 Truck

2024 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull 1460

ARILINIAKSKYLAMIMNMONMOHOKPASDTNTXVAmed.

• Moderator+
On 12/31/2023 at 6:26 PM, Snackchaser said:

I bought a set of these about 4 or 5 years ago. I know they will outlast the expiration date on the tanks. Plus, they give you plenty of room underneath for the Mopeka sensors.

• Like 4

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Thanks for info! You guys are great!

• Like 1

ALCOGALANMNCTNTXmed.jpg
Doug & Jill - Wilson WY

Ozzie and Ruby - 2 Havanese characters

“Hull #1491” ‘24 LEII

’23 F-250 RapidRed KR 7.3 Godzilla

4 hours ago, johnwen said:

Good product and now I take them off to service as I lost one during a recent refill.

I would consider laying a silicone bead in the ring.  That would likely keep it in place when servicing the tanks.

GJ

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

On 1/5/2024 at 12:58 PM, Geronimo John said:

I would consider laying a silicone bead in the ring.  That would likely keep it in place when servicing the tanks.

GJ

@Geronimo John:  FYI - after having serviced each of the 30# tanks 2 or 3 times since installing the "Halos" - keeping them in place is not an issue, a very tight fitment.  My concern is getting them back into the cradle - it's almost a "press-fit", but once they're in and seated, they don't budge!  Also, like @ScubaRx noted, they give a bit more recess for the Mopeaka sensors...

Bottom line, the Halos should keep the steel cradle and bottom tank rings from rusting out and generally helps keep the compartment neat and tidy.

• Like 3

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

After seeing this thread I checked my tanks. Sure enough, a small amount of surface rust is forming along the bottom of the ring. I had some of thjs black rubber door edge guard left over from when I installed the screen bug covers on my water heater so figured I would try it on the tanks. Fits great, eliminates the metal on metal contact, stays on when removing tanks to fill and does not impact height of tanks and hold-down. 

can’t remember where I bought it but do recall it was about $10, maybe at TSC?

9AF023C2-BE5A-4138-95D1-58551F99DAAE.jpeg

• Like 1

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW