EMS ISSUE

Apologise if I am posting in the wrong location. Don’t use the site much. I am having elevtrical issues in my Elite II. The codes showing up on my EMS are as follows:  E0, 8A, 60H, I25 and 7. It just flashes from one to the other. When I try to use my microwave it cuts off afer a few seconds. Anybody else ever experience this?

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

8 amps

60 hertz

125 volts

and CODE 7.

Below may be useful

GJ

image.png.d92d07ebcf4144457e81fe6154e470ef.png

OM - Progressive Industries HW30-50C (4 MAR 2023).pdf

• Like 4

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• Moderators
11 hours ago, mccc99 said:

Don’t use the site much.

Why not?

Let me see - its New Year's Eve, ALL service centers are closed (to include the chance of getting hold of anyone at Oliver).  You have a problem and you get THE answer in short order.  What's not to like?

Besides, it is the collective knowledge of this Forum's members that make the Forum the place it is.  Certainly there is something or some place that you can add to the discussion that will surely help another member have a better experience with their Ollie and camping in general.

Thanks to GJ for the information above - it looks like you are plugged into shore power that is not up to standard.

Bill

• Like 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I agree with Topgun2.

Your volts, hertz & amps look fine.

As Topgun2 indicated  you need to check out your power source. Talk to the campground you are at or if at home have an electrical expert check it out.

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

Here are a few ideas that may be useful:

• If you are hooked up to the 30 amp plug, try the 20 amp plug for grins.
  • Camp site power poles are generally grouped down a line and each set often use different transformers.  Hence, try moving to a different camp site power pole that is well away from the one you are using.    
  • If you are using a generator, have you connected up your bonded ground plug?
  • If you are at home, have you had any mother boards fried recently?

GJ

If you have concerns, don't plug in there. 

• Like 4

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

4 hours ago, dewdev said:

Your volts, hertz & amps look fine.

Do you carry a multimeter in your Oliver?  If so, check out the power readings at the campsite power pedestal. 

More often than not, EMS issues are caused by "dirty" power from a campsite pedestal.  I always verify the voltage at the pedestal with my multimeter before plugging in my 30A power cord.

• Like 3

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

13 minutes ago, Rivernerd said:

Do you carry a multimeter in your Oliver?  If so, check out the power readings at the campsite power pedestal. 

More often than not, EMS issues are caused by "dirty" power from a campsite pedestal.  I always verify the voltage at the pedestal with my multimeter before plugging in my 30A power cord.

mccc99's voltage showed as normal.

Are you able to test for Line Frequency with a multi-meter? How would you do that?

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

7 hours ago, Wandering Sagebrush said:

As AC frequency increases, current will as well.  That said, I have no idea of how much of an increase.

I saw this earlier in the day and have been waiting for someone else to challenge this statement.   I agree with the general statement that as AC frequency increases, current will as well.  It just doesn't apply to those of us who connect our camper to the power grid.   Maybe if you were boondocking and running a crude generator the frequency could change with a change in load, but not if powered by the grid.

AC frequency in the US is fixed at the power plant at 60 Hz (in Europe and many other places it's 50 Hz).  As far as I know there is no changing the AC frequency with any of our appliances or by loads at the campground.  The purpose of having the EMS display a code for frequency is because you could be running off of a non-inverter generator, such as a PTO driven farm generator.  You can end up with high or low frequency AC power if the tractor's PTO turns the generator input shaft too fast or too slow.   It's very unlikely that this is the issue.

5 hours ago, dewdev said:

Are you able to test for Line Frequency with a multi-meter? How would you do that?

A normal multi-meter doesn't have a setting for measuring AC frequency.  A specialized multi-meter or an oscilloscope would be able to measure AC line frequency.  Most of us are not carrying those specialized tools in our camper.

HTH, Ken

(I took a couple of electrical engineering classes a long time ago as engineering degree electives.  If I've got it wrong myself, I don't mind being corrected.  It's not something I use everyday.)

• Like 5

2013 Toyota Land Cruiser 200

2018 Twin Bed Elite II #351

Ken, I think you’re spot on with respect to the commercial grid.  My assumption is the OP is using a generator that’s having issues.

If my wayback memory machine is working correctly, the increase in frequency causes a decrease in the line impedance, and that is why current increases.  It has less resistance.

Lordy, I just realized I took those classes in 1971

• Like 1

Hull #364 - The Roadrunner 

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

ALAKAZARCACOFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMSMO

On 12/31/2023 at 7:24 PM, mccc99 said:

... The codes showing up on my EMS are as follows:  E0, 8A, 60H, I25 and 7. It just flashes from one to the other.

Flashing from one to the other is the standard interface and I read these numbers as being fine. Others said that already, but if the numbers are fine, it shows the campground pedestal is also FINE. You are getting 125V at 60 HZ and at the time of your reading, your Oliver was pulling 8 amps. Nothing wrong here! E0 means NO Error Code. You do not have an "EMS ISSUE" nor do you have a Shore Power issue! You have an internal issue with the microwave or its electrical circuit.

Meaning issue is in your latter statement, "When I try to use my microwave it cuts off after a few seconds." When this occurs, does the AC breaker for the microwave trip? (Although our old hull does not have a separate AC breaker for the microwave. What!?) Does any AC breaker trip? If so, the microwave is pulling more amperage than the circuit design. Does the microwave "cut off" without tripping the breaker? Then your issue is within the microwave internal circuits (which means replace the microwave).

Your PD EMS-HW30C is working as designed and the numbers reported by the display show a satisfactory shore power connection.

• Thanks 1

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

One addition, I do not know what the number '7' means in your post. Mine shows 1) Error Code 2) Volts, 3) Hz and 4) Amps, if I remember the order, displaying each state for 2 seconds. However, mine is newly installed and it's never shown an error code.

If the '7' is for previous error code (reading my manual now, but it is not exacting, has no display list), E7 means "Line Frequency High (above 69 Hz)." I would find it hard to believe the pedestal would be 70+ Hz and then back to normal 60 Hz when the data was read, but 70+ Hz could certainly freakout a microwave!

• Like 1

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
On 12/31/2023 at 9:24 PM, mccc99 said:

Anybody else ever experience this?

I will say that @jd1923 has some very good information in his response to your issue.  

I, like @jd1923, also do not under stand the 7 value in your EMS display's output.  I only have 4 different values in my display and you are indicating that you have 5 values.  Watch your EMS display before, during and while turning on the microwave.  The display may have some different values during the error sequence.

Good luck,

Mossey

@jd1923 and I are on the same wavelength😮

The following is from my manual.

Note: If the EMS cuts the power to the RV it will show a PE code following the E code. This denotes the previous error or why the EMS shut down. Example: The EMS cuts power for low voltage on Line 1, and then the power is restored. The Error Code reads E 0, but the PE code reads PE 4 which tells the user low voltage was the reason for the EMS previously cutting power. This PE error code will be deleted when power is disconnected from the EMS. 

So if the 7 value is a previous error, it should follow the E0 value in the next screen and read PE 7.

Mossey

Edit:  I removed my reference to the Xantrex inverter due to the fact that @mccc99 never mentioned an inverter in his OP.  I was multitasking during the Sugar Bowl and confused myself and probably other's as well.

Edited by mossemi
Clarification
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

20 minutes ago, mossemi said:

... I will add that my original Xantrex 2000w inverter acted in as similar fashion when it failed... Mossey

@mossemi, you gave me a good idea! The EMS only monitors the incoming 30A 120V shore power. The Inverter (any model) pulls from the batteries, inverting 12VDC into 120V AC at 60 Hz, and in doing so is truly independent of the EMS.

@mccc99 do you have an Inverter 1800W or greater? Then disconnect shore power. Does your microwave run off the Inverter with or without the same error? Mine pulls over 125A (1500W) and runs fine on the Xantrex 2000W Inverter. Our last RV, the numbers were the same. This would be a good troubleshooting step. Let us know what you find!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mccc99 said:

Thanks to all for the feedback. Seems that the power source I was plugged into was not good. All is working properly now.

Great news.  I’m glad to hear it’s not your Ollie!😊

• Like 1

Hull #364 - The Roadrunner 

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

ALAKAZARCACOFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMSMO