XANTREX FREEDOM XC PRO 3000 INVERTER/CHARGER

I am trying to understand the purpose, functions and operation of my inverter. I am going to go real slow and try to build up a better understanding with your help.  This is all Greek to me, and know nothing.

First Statement - The inverter/charger converts DC power from the battery to AC power for trailer use.

Second Statement - The inverter/charger charges the battery from either shore power or solar panel power.

Are both of those statements true?

2023 Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull #1423

TV - 2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4x4

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

Your statements are mostly correct, but let's be a little more specific. The Xantrex unit is really two devices: a converter and an inverter.

The converter takes shore power (120v AC) and converts it into DC volts to charge your batteries. This happens automatically when you plug your trailer into shore power.

However, the Xantrex has nothing to do with solar charging. There is a separate device for that. You didn't post the year of your trailer, but your hull number tells me it's new. Our trailer has a Zamp solar charge system, but I think the newer units use Victron(??). Either way, there should be another control panel somewhere inside your cabin for solar charging. That system should also be passive/automatic for you. It'll work when there's sun without any interaction from you.

The inverter part of your Xantrex does convert 12v DC battery power to household 120v AC for your outlets, etc. but it requires interaction from you. Turn it on (silver button pressed in) when you want 120v outlet power from the batteries. Turn it off when you don't need it because the inverter draws power from the batteries even when you're not using the 120v outlets. The green LEDs and display on the control panel tell you what it's doing. (You can press the OK button to wake up the display at any time.)

Hope this helps clear it up a bit for you.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 9

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

5 minutes ago, Steph and Dud B said:

The converter takes shore power (120v AC) and converts it into DC volts to charge your batteries. This happens automatically when you plug your trailer into shore power.

Does it do this if the inverter is turned off?

6 minutes ago, Steph and Dud B said:

However, the Xantrex has nothing to do with solar charging. There is a separate device for that. You didn't post the year of your trailer, but your hull number tells me it's new. Our trailer has a Zamp solar charge system, but I think the newer units use Victron

Yes, my 2023 E II has Victron.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HDRider said:

Does it do this if the inverter is turned off?

Yes. Completely separate functions. Turning the inverter off has no effect on the converter (charger).

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

7 minutes ago, Steph and Dud B said:

The inverter part of your Xantrex does convert 12v DC battery power to household 120v AC for your outlets, etc. but it requires interaction from you. Turn it on (silver button pressed in) when you want 120v outlet power from the batteries. Turn it off when you don't need it because the inverter draws power from the batteries even when you're not using the 120v outlets. The green LEDs and display on the control panel tell you what it's doing. (You can press the OK button to wake up the display at any time.)

The inverter really has two on/off buttons.  One on the inverter and one on the remote panel.

Am I correct to say that the button on the inverter box should be out (off) and the button on the panel should be in (on) when I want to run the inverter?

4 minutes ago, HDRider said:

Am I correct to say that the button on the inverter box should be out (off) and the button on the panel should be in (on) when I want to run the inverter?

I've never messed with the one on the inverter itself, so I can't answer that. Just run everything from the control panel and use the LEDs/display to verify you're in the mode you want.

Just now, Steph and Dud B said:

I've never messed with the one on the inverter itself, so I can't answer that. Just run everything from the control panel and use the LEDs/display to verify you're in the mode you want.

I just got my inverter replaced by a non-Oliver shop.  I am sifting through things to bring it back to "as it was" from the factory.

I read that if the button on the inverter is on then the button on the panel serves no purpose.  Does anyone know if this is true?

Put in a service ticket with Oliver and ask what position the on-unit switch should be in. Or email Xantrex. I've had good luck with their customer service.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HDRider said:

Yes leave the on/off button on the inverter in the off position, use the button on the remote/panel to turn the inverter on or off.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

5 hours ago, HDRider said:

I read that if the button on the inverter is on then the button on the panel serves no purpose.  Does anyone know if this is true?

True....but....

As rich.dev instructs, leave the silver button on the inverter OUT (off), so you can control the inverter from the silver button on the remote.  My remote is mounted about eye height just forward of the pantry on the street side.  Leave the silver button on the remote OUT (off) unless you are not connected to shore power and wish to run a 120V appliance (like the microwave or a blender) on inverted power.  Push the silver button on the remote IN (on position) to turn on the inverter to supply 120V power to the appliance.  Depress the silver button on the remote (to release it to the OUT (off) position) when you no longer need inverted power.  Turning the inverter off when you don't need it will conserve 12V battery power.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderators

In order to "complicate" this discussion a bit further - 

The remote buttons used for being able to turn on the inverter "remotely" are connected to the inverter via what looks like a telephone cable.  The little contacts inside that remote have been known to become dirty over time and can make the remote basically useless.  

If it appears as though the remote is not working - then - try using the on/off button on the inverter itself.

Bill

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I also wanted to share something else.  Oliver does recommend turning the inverter off when connected to shore power.  They say that for a very practical reason.  If your inverter is on, and you lose shower power your batteries might be depleted without you knowing it is happening. 

I do hope others continue to share their knowledge of the inverter and also that other's feel free to ask questions about the mysteries of the inverter. 

Thanks everyone for your usual helpfulness.  Long Live Oliver!

• Like 3

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, HDRider said:

Oliver does recommend turning the inverter off when connected to shore power.

Yes - in fact, it is good practice to only have your inverter "on" when you actually are using it to get from 12 volt (battery) power to 120 volt power that you have no other source for (i.e. shore power).

For example - if you are out in the woods "boondocking" (or a rest stop or parking lot or ....) and have no way to plug your Ollie into any external source of 120 volt power (generator or pedestal or very long extension cord) but you still want to use the microwave to pop a bag of popcorn, then turn on the inverter, use your microwave to pop that bag of corn and immediately (so you don't forget) turn the inverter back off.  You do this because the inverter will continue to use some power even though the microwave is not running.

Bill

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

14 hours ago, HDRider said:

...Oliver does recommend turning the inverter off when connected to shore power.  They say that for a very practical reason.  If your inverter is on, and you lose shower power your batteries might be depleted without you knowing it is happening. 

I'm sorry, but I tend to disagree with a lot of recommendations. I have been leaving inverters on, often around the clock, for 3-4 years now, ever since I've owned my first one. I could not RV without solar and an inverter.

Lately, I left mine on overnight a few times, unintentionally. Watching news, playing music or something on TV while working on my Oliver projects. Each time, when I got back inside the next morning, my batteries were at 100% from the solar charger.

I measured amperage draw on our Xantrex 2000 inverter at 2.5A (while not running AC appliances). Even without solar, it would take days to drain the batteries.  We presently have lead-acid with usable 225AH. Given this battery configuration (and most of you with newer models have better), you can run 2.5A for 90 hours, close to 4 days. Of course, when know I'm not going to be in the Oliver for a while, then I look carefully to shut down all accessories.

With the SmartShunt and the Victron app, I can now see the amps on my phone, and know for certain when I left something on. Better advice is always check your amperage draw when leaving!

I have my inverter on 24x7, when camping or working on the Oliver. Let me give you a good reason to do so. When shore power gets interrupted, even for a few milliseconds, I'm still watching TV, staying connected, the modem and all other electronics are running, without missing a heartbeat. Inverters are designed to work in this way. I used to love testing this. Run your AC appliance, shore power and inverter on and pull the plug! Or trip the 30A main breaker, and it doesn't miss a heartbeat!

If you feel safer fine, but you'll remember this, the next time you're waiting... while your systems reboot!

Should Inverter Be On When Plugged Into Shore Power? Ultimate Answer (rvgoer.com)

• Like 1

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

7 hours ago, jd1923 said:

I'm sorry, but I tend to disagree with a lot of recommendations. I have been leaving inverters on, often around the clock, for 3-4 years now, ever since I've owned my first one. I could not RV without solar and an inverter.

I was just stating what Oliver recommended to me when I picked up my Oliver, i.e. leave the inverter off (on the inverter) and use the remote to turn it on/off when required.

• Like 1

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

8 hours ago, jd1923 said:

Lately, I left mine on overnight a few times, unintentionally. Watching news, playing music or something on TV while working on my Oliver projects. Each time, when I got back inside the next morning, my batteries were at 100% from the solar charger.

I measured amperage draw on our Xantrex 2000 inverter at 2.5A (while not running AC appliances). Even without solar, it would take days to drain the batteries.  We presently have lead-acid with usable 225AH. Given this battery configuration (and most of you with newer models have better), you can run 2.5A for 90 hours, close to 4 days. Of course, when know I'm not going to be in the Oliver for a while, then I look carefully to shut down all accessories.

With the SmartShunt and the Victron app, I can now see the amps on my phone, and know for certain when I left something on. Better advice is always check your amperage draw when leaving!

I have my inverter on 24x7, when camping or working on the Oliver. Let me give you a good reason to do so. When shore power gets interrupted, even for a few milliseconds, I'm still watching TV, staying connected, the modem and all other electronics are running, without missing a heartbeat. Inverters are designed to work in this way. I used to love testing this. Run your AC appliance, shore power and inverter on and pull the plug! Or trip the 30A main breaker, and it doesn't miss a heartbeat!

If you feel safer fine, but you'll remember this, the next time you're waiting... while your systems reboot!

Should Inverter Be On When Plugged Into Shore Power? Ultimate Answer (rvgoer.com)

Just to add, the draw of the inverter is not the concern, but more so the other things you might leave on like the AC, that would draw your battery down.

I can see both sides now that I understand the inverter better. 

Thanks all.

21 hours ago, HDRider said:

I do hope others continue to share their knowledge of the inverter and also that other's feel free to ask questions about the mysteries of the inverter.

In response to HDRider’s offer to ask questions, I have a ‘mystery’ that may be somewhat tasking! It is my understanding that there are many components in a TT that only operate on DC, specifically 12V power from the house battery(ies). These components include, but not limited to, the water pump, exterior and interior lights, radio, vents and blade fuse panel, to mention a few. It is also my understanding that if the 12V power is disconnected by some means, then said components will no longer operate. Are my understandings correct?  Yesterday, while plugged into shore power, I manually tripped the factory installed 200A blade circuit breaker on the positive cable leading from the battery bank, thus turning off power feed to the Xantrex/OTT.  Here is a screenshot afterwards showing a -0.25A draw from the battery bank via the VictronConnect app; likely a minimal draw by the Victron SmartShunt, since it alone remains connected directly to that power source. 

IMG_5181.thumb.png.89e589c9747522387e47f28e63247208.png

I then made certain that the button on the Xantrex remote panel was in the Off position, as well as the button on the unit itself. Here is a pic of the Xantrex remote panel showing that unit in ‘BYPASS’ mode.

IMG_5183.thumb.jpeg.55a0b8a75549564f1cfb0b7574d3ee92.jpeg

I observed what sounded like the fan on the Xantrex, continually cycling on and off at varying intervals of a few seconds to minutes in duration. Also when tested, the lights, MaxxFan and radio were operable, and the blade fuse panel was powered. How can that be if the battery bank is presumed to be isolated? Furthermore, the VictronConnect app was showing the added draw by said components. What is wrong with this picture? My only assumption is that the Xantrex (even though totally off, bypassed and disconnected from battery) in someway is the 12V power source, OR the battery bank is not fully isolated by way of simply manually tripping said circuit breaker. Any thoughts (good, bad, comedic) are respectfully, appreciated. 

• Like 1

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt

1 hour ago, Ronbrink said:

What is wrong with this picture?

Our Hull #1291 has only one positive and one negative lead from the battery bank to a bus bar, then to the inverter.  My understanding from Oliver service is that ours was one of the first units manufactured with that "new" bus bar.  Trailers built earlier than ours had more than one positive and one negative lead leaving the battery bank/battery box.  Could Ronbrink's trailer have more than one positive/negative power lead exiting the battery box, and could that be the source of the 12V draw when the 200A blade circuit breaker is tripped?

• Like 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

4 hours ago, rich.dev said:

I was just stating what Oliver recommended to me when I picked up my Oliver, i.e. leave the inverter off (on the inverter) and use the remote to turn it on/off when required.

This recommendation I Certainly agree with. When you have a remote installed, use it, makes no sense opening up basement access panel to physically push the main power button on the inverter. It's like at home, we all use the TV remote, instead of getting up to push the physical power button on the TV.

3 hours ago, HDRider said:

Just to add, the draw of the inverter is not the concern, but more so the other things you might leave on like the AC, that would draw your battery down. I can see both sides now that I understand the inverter better. Thanks all.

Of course, when you are running AC appliances off the inverter, you want them OFF when not in use, since some pull very high amperage from the batteries. My inverter runs alone at -2.5A but turn the microwave on and it's at -127A! Two hours of microwave use would completely deplete my battery bank, but nobody does that! Our inverter is not capable to run the old OEM A/C unit, but if yours can, then yes running the A/C for 2 hours would use the majority of available AH in the battery bank.

There are only a few AC appliances. You can see the list in the picture, the "AC BRANCH CIRCUITS" in our hull #113. The AC, HWH, fridge, 110V outlets, and converter/charger. Notice you do not see some others, like the microwave we have, our TV/Dish/Blu-ray/AV system. These must all sit on "110V Outlets - 15A" circuit (they really should have another 15A breaker for the Microwave that draws just over 10A itself).

Oliver Electrical Panel.jpg

BTW, in the picture above, does anybody understand the term "REVERSE BATTERY FUSES?" What are they, where are they located? I have not had time to research this and have not previously read this terminology in other RV manuals.

Perhaps this has something to do with the converter/charger?

Edited by jd1923
Added last question.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rivernerd said:

Could Ronbrink's trailer have more than one positive/negative power lead exiting the battery box, and could that be the source of the 12V draw when the 200A blade circuit breaker is tripped?

He has a shunt.  With a shunt there is only one way to connect to the batteries  negative side.  The positive side can have several connections.  That said, in theory if you turn off/ flip the main breaker or master switch, you should be killing all battery power.  But, I am thinking that maybe:

• If you are connected to your TV, it is possible that that TV battery (Via the 7 Pin) and especially the DC to DC charger (especially if you have the non-isolated version) WILL supply a ground path.
  • If you have an Inverter/charger, that could provide an electrical path as well.

GJ

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

3 hours ago, Ronbrink said:

I then made certain that the button on the Xantrex remote panel was in the Off position, as well as the button on the unit itself. Here is a pic of the Xantrex remote panel showing that unit in ‘BYPASS’ mode.

I observed what sounded like the fan on the Xantrex, continually cycling on and off at varying intervals of a few seconds to minutes in duration. Also when tested, the lights, MaxxFan and radio were operable, and the blade fuse panel was powered. How can that be if the battery bank is presumed to be isolated? Furthermore, the VictronConnect app was showing the added draw by said components. What is wrong with this picture? My only assumption is that the Xantrex (even though totally off, bypassed and disconnected from battery) in someway is the 12V power source, OR the battery bank is not fully isolated by way of simply manually tripping said circuit breaker. Any thoughts (good, bad, comedic) are respectfully, appreciated. 

By having the Xantrex OFF, you turned the inverter OFF, and with shore power disconnected you would have no 110V AC circuits. This does not turn off the converter/charger portion of the Xantrex.

The converter was supplying +12VDC to the DC panel. The fan was running because this action creates a lot of heat, supplying 12VDC power with batteries disconnected.

Similar to this scenario. Say you were off the grid for a couple of days and got your battery bank down to 50% for lead acid, or even lower with lithium. Then you arrive at a campsite and plug-in to shore power. The charger portion will work hard to recharge batteries from the newly incoming shore power and since your batteries are very low there is a lot of current supplied for charging, the fan will run on-n-off as it produces heat in the charging. I added positive and negative busbars to facilitate this.

@Geronimo John added this statement; "If you have an Inverter/charger, that could provide an electrical path as well." True. I know when I installed my own solar/inverter setup in a previous RV this was certainly the case. The Bigfoot had its OEM PD9200 converter/charger and I added an inverter-only device. I installed heavy gauge battery cables, connecting the inverter to the battery bank independently.

Investigating these issues would be so much easier if the Oliver pantry was not sitting above the battery bank hiding access to many of the cables. When I upgrade to Lithium in a year or two, I'll have to tear all that out, sort it out to simplify, and will then certainly gain a better understanding!

• Like 1