...Has Anyone Ever Really Stopped at, "THE THING?"

OK, for decades we've been seeing those billboard advertisements across the southwest from California to TX, maybe even further, that show a weird image of what appears almost alien - and in huge capital letters, "VISIT THE THING?"....   Or, only 974 miles to "THE THING?"...  whatever.

Traveling back from the Q a few weeks ago, it was just me and the two knuckleheads in the back.  We were eastbound on I-10 between Willcox and Benson, near Dragoon - with nothing better to do, we pulled in to the "All New THING Museum" for grins.

Screenshot2024-02-20at8_42_06AM.thumb.png.49f659f2a65fdccc863d937960fd3f85.png

So, has anyone, except me, actually stopped at "THE THING" to check it out?

Just curious...

• Like 2

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators

Can I assume that you (nor anyone else) is going to give us a hint as to what to expect at this place? 😬

• Haha 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

1 minute ago, topgun2 said:

Can I assume that you (nor anyone else is going to give us a hint as to what to expect at this place? 😬

Of course you can, Bill!  HA!  😆

• Haha 3

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

On 2/20/2024 at 8:47 AM, MAX Burner said:

...So, has anyone, except me, actually stopped at "THE THING" to check it out? Just curious...

I think it's just you Art!

(Given "the two knuckleheads" stayed outside.) I sometimes call ours "butthead" and Chris says, "That's not nice." I've driven by that stretch of I-10 some twenty times...

• Like 2

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

We did.....on the way to the Q this year.  26 years ago we and the inlaws stopped there and the only one to visit was my late father in law. Since we poked fun at him he wouldn't divulge any details so we had to take a look for ourselves this year.  I can only say one thing...."now we know"  :classic_ohmy:

John

• Like 1
  • Care 1

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

• Moderators

So, @johnwen, was it worth the stop? In your opinion?

No "spoiler alerts" nor secrets divulged? 😀

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
12 hours ago, johnwen said:

I can only say one thing...."now we know"  :classic_ohmy:

We’ve driven by “The Thing” probably 20 or 30 times over the years, the latest on our way to Quartzsite last month.  I always say that we need to stop sometime.  Maybe it’s best we don’t and keep it a mystery?  Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

11 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

So, @johnwen, was it worth the stop? In your opinion?

No "spoiler alerts" nor secrets divulged? 😀

Was definitely worth it to us mostly because of my Father-in Law...I could see him smiling at us :)

If you go, make sure to read the literature posted on the walls along the way!!!

John

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

• Moderator+

We've passed that place dozens of times over the past 50 or so years. We've stopped there a time or two but never actually ventured into the back to see "The Thing".

For all those folks that say they hate the desert and rarely travel West of the Mississippi River, you're never even gonna have the chance to know...

• Haha 2
  • Wow 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Makes me think back to my childhood:

image.png.67e184a1948b1257d00f129b011fe53c.png

If I had seen a sign that said "The Thing", no one could have kept me away.  I'm always looking for weird cool places like that.

• Like 1

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4X4 Truck

2024 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull 1460

ARILINIAKSKYLAMIMNMONMOHOKPASDTNTXVAmed.