Overland tow vehicle

Hello, 

I have been ask a few times about our tow vehicle, so I thought I’d start a post concerning tow vehicles with an overland conversion. The first picture shows our AEV  bumper which houses the 16.5 ti Warn winch and the off-road lights. You can also see the AEV raised air intake. The second photo shows our Icon suspension which gave us a 2 inch lift. Next is a side photo with the James Baroud rooftop tent, comfortably sleeping 2 adults. The rack was built by Nuthouse Industries in Ohio and has led lights all around. From the rear you see lockable storage on the left. Behind the firewood is our extra full size spare, with the other mounted under the truck. The next two photos show the full length slide. It has a 16 gallon fresh water tank with a pump, an electrical system with 200 AH Battle Born lithium batteries, solar smart charger and 2000 watt converter, all Victron. More posteriorly there is an ARB cooler and a fold down kitchen with 2 burners, a slide out cutting board and water. The following photo shows our four maxtrax and our ladder storage for the rooftop tent. Then you see the locked storage for our land anchor (we are frequently in the desert), a hi lift jack and some extra water. Over the passenger doors there is a fold out shower  and  bathroom, also by James Baroud. The last photo shows the locking storage and two propane tanks. We have a portable propane water heater for the shower. We can carry four bikes over the cab and four behind the truck, unless we have the Oliver then just two additional bikes. We also have an easy on off rack for the top that allows us to carry two 18 foot sea kayaks. There are lockers front and back and two air compressors one for the lockers and on-board air and one to run the Firestone remote air bags.  We also had a 42 gallon diesel tank put in. We had a large awning that was destroyed in a microburst, not sure I’m going to replace that! 

Kirk

IMG_1767.jpeg

IMG_1769.jpeg

IMG_1770.jpeg

IMG_1772.jpeg

IMG_1773.jpeg

IMG_1774.jpeg

IMG_1775.jpeg

IMG_1776.jpeg

IMG_1777.jpeg

IMG_1778.jpeg

IMG_1780.jpeg

• Thanks 3
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

Very Impressive RAM.

I did not see any solar panels on the RAM. Where are they located on the truck?

• Like 1

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

Very cool Overland TV, @snakeriveridaho!  Looks like you've got some of that "Backcountry Pin Striping" too!  Your Nuthouse pull-out rack is sweet!  Just curious, are you running a DC/DC charger in the TV or the OTT?

We've been to the Overland Expo in Flagstaff a few times - very cool rigs there to drool over!

Cheers!

Edited by MAX Burner
fixed a typo...
  • Like 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

• Moderators

Besides a cool truck- 

I did catch a couple of sightings of an Oliver in the background too.

Bill

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

10 hours ago, snakeriveridaho said:

Hello, 

I have been ask a few times about our tow vehicle, so I thought I’d start a post concerning tow vehicles with an overland conversion. The first picture shows our AEV  bumper which houses the 16.5 ti Warn winch and the off-road lights. You can also see the AEV raised air intake. The second photo shows our Icon suspension which gave us a 2 inch lift. Next is a side photo with the James Baroud rooftop tent, comfortably sleeping 2 adults. The rack was built by Nuthouse Industries in Ohio and has led lights all around. From the rear you see lockable storage on the left. Behind the firewood is our extra full size spare, with the other mounted under the truck. The next two photos show the full length slide. It has a 16 gallon fresh water tank with a pump, an electrical system with 200 AH Battle Born lithium batteries, solar smart charger and 2000 watt converter, all Victron. More posteriorly there is an ARB cooler and a fold down kitchen with 2 burners, a slide out cutting board and water. The following photo shows our four maxtrax and our ladder storage for the rooftop tent. Then you see the locked storage for our land anchor (we are frequently in the desert), a hi lift jack and some extra water. Over the passenger doors there is a fold out shower  and  bathroom, also by James Baroud. The last photo shows the locking storage and two propane tanks. We have a portable propane water heater for the shower. We can carry four bikes over the cab and four behind the truck, unless we have the Oliver then just two additional bikes. We also have an easy on off rack for the top that allows us to carry two 18 foot sea kayaks. There are lockers front and back and two air compressors one for the lockers and on-board air and one to run the Firestone remote air bags.  We also had a 42 gallon diesel tank put in. We had a large awning that was destroyed in a microburst, not sure I’m going to replace that! 

Kirk

IMG_1767.jpeg

IMG_1769.jpeg

IMG_1770.jpeg

IMG_1772.jpeg

IMG_1773.jpeg

IMG_1774.jpeg

IMG_1775.jpeg

IMG_1776.jpeg

IMG_1777.jpeg

IMG_1778.jpeg

IMG_1780.jpeg

Awesome Build. Brings back memories of our Four Wheel Camper (FWC) Pop-Up truck camper. Those were fun days in the back country

• Like 2

John & Susan Dorrer, 2013 F250, 6.2 gasser, 4x4, 2022 Legacy Elite 2, twin beds, Hull #1045, Jolli Olli

-ALARCOIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMNMSMOMTNENHNY

10 hours ago, dewdev said:

I did not see any solar panels on the RAM.

We have 3 of the Bluetti PV200 portable solar panels for up to 600 watts of solar charging power. They work great, highly recommend Bluetti's products. 

• Like 2

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

46 minutes ago, MAX Burner said:

DC/DC charger in the TV or the OTT

Our DC/DC charger keeps the overland batteries topped off. We supplement with portable solar panels. 

• Like 2

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

Hull #1305

16 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

I did catch a couple of sightings of an Oliver in the background too.

You definitely saw an Oliver, White Betty, OTT E2 #1305

• Like 2

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

Hull #1305

I really like your hard top rain and wind shielding "Guest House".  Safe for Alaska and Canada (Generally speaking).  And will encourage guests not to stay more than a few days. 

Sweet build for sure!

GJ  

image.png.a6a8ca0acb20ba246c550cbaa5d5f303.png

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

23 hours ago, snakeriveridaho said:

I have been asked a few times about our tow vehicle, so I thought I’d start a post concerning tow vehicles with an overland conversion...

Wow, so why do you need an Oliver!

I imagine in your most wonderful part of the country, that at times you 'overland' and for longer travels you pull the Oliver!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

15 hours ago, jd1923 said:

I imagine in your most wonderful part of the country, that at times you 'overland' and for longer travels you pull the Oliver!

That's our longer term plans, too. Get somewhere interesting, use the Oliver as a base camp, and explore areas unreachable by most trailers or vehicles. That's when a rooftop tent or sleeping area in the vehicle comes in handy. We had a big family sized RTT a few years ago, but it was a real PITA to fold up tight enough to get the cover on. So you tended to not open it at home to air/dry it out. Next time will be a James Baroud like Kirk's 

IMG_0217.thumb.jpeg.a6cc95fc43462a3b268b65875be676a4.jpeg

• Like 2

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

15 hours ago, jd1923 said:

Wow, so why do you need an Oliver!

We definitely get use out of both. The central Idaho wilderness is great for the truck. Also, like Geronimo John pointed out, it is great for extra campers and I am surprised at by how much use we get out of the roof top tent in that regard. 

Kirk

• Like 1

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

Hull #1305