Generator Operational Cover?

What do you all do to cover your generators when you need to run them and it's poring rain outside?  I've seen some "covers" at the Jungle Store - not sure about them.

image.png.fde5e3120e458bcd572ad7577a9c6f04.png

SE Texas  | 2021 Elite II  Twin Bed # 927  "Lucy"  |  2019 F250 FX4 6.7

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

i have not run into this problem yet but I had planned to just put in under the pop-up canopy we have. Might not be the best option but will let me spend that money on other camping items I may or may not need.

• Like 1

Vincent, Ohio | 2022 Elite ll, Hull #1182, 2014 Ford F150 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Towing PKG

ALKYMSOHTNWVsm.jpg

I have small tarp and have rigged  up a small A  shaped tent like shelter in the rain above the generator. Not perfect but very inexpensive. The ends are open for exhaust.  I have also placed the generator under a picnic table with a tarp or rubber backed rug or mat on the table. Lately I just leave it under my tonneau cover with the cover partially open and the exhaust aimed at the tailgate

• Like 1

Robert and Cheryl, Louisville, KY, Legacy Elite II Hull #1390 Oliphino, TV F250 Tremor

9 hours ago, Jim and Frances said:

What do you all do to cover your generators when you need to run them and it's poring rain outside?  I've seen some "covers" at the Jungle Store - not sure about them.

That little generator tent is kind of cut, or not! 🤣

Just let 'er run in the rain, and if it's not running, get one that can. Most generators are built to weather the storm! Can't stop thinking of the cute lil' baby's bassinette to keep her out of the rain.

Just run it, rain or not. It would be like me not running a truck or tactor, on a farm property, cause it's just raining!

If the rain comes
They run and hide their heads
They might as well be dead
If the rain comes...
"
(John Lennon 1966)

Love you guys but think of your bigger travel issues and let your generator, be a generator! Or just go solar and don't even ever again think about it!

I will never carry one again! Would if truly required, but not with battery technology today... The genset is now or soon becoming obsolete in RV life.

Edited by jd1923
Shortened. Thx
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

I don't mind letting it run in the rain.  However, I want a cover to keep the plastic and metal looking like new.  *buys more wax and Armorall*

Let me clarify, I keep mine under cover and don't let sunlight bake it or risk arcing electricity when water runs down the front outlets.  I have a Cummins 4500i which includes dust covers and rain protection:

image.png.3cc893cb4809bc1c51d14571c14b6ede.png

Even though the covers protect it somewhat, it is still not rated to run in wet weather.  So far, I haven't needed it since I have plenty of battery power.  But if I did, I would run it under my truck near the back away from the diesel fuel lines.  There is plenty of clearance and I position the exhaust out toward the rain.

Edited by Jason Foster
  • Like 4

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4X4 Truck

2024 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull 1460

ARILINIAKSKYLAMIMNMONMOHOKPASDTNTXVAmed.

@jd1923 brings up a good point regarding the future of the portable GENSET and RV life.  IMO, it will remain a key item on some RV'er's pack-up checklist - it will not on others, as camping style will dictate its place in the future.  The more rigs configured with high-capacity lithium battery banks and large solar module arrays the less (if at all) a GENSET will be needed.  Our Honda 12+ year old EU2000 hasn't seen the light of day on a camping trip since we've owned our OTT - as our Oliver's configuration supports our boon docking needs.  We're still packing it, but it has become a tertiary-level backup item.  

Other owners, w/o large solar and battery AH storage capabilities, use and rely on their GENSET for their style of camping because it's used to recharge their batteries - all good!  Others don't need a GENSET because they choose the RV Park camping style - still ALL GOOD!  So, the GENSET may still have a place in the future of RV'ing but perhaps in a different way it did say, 10 or 15 years ago.

Regarding the cute GENSET "tent" - save your money, IMO.  

Most modern generators are happy providing needed AC power in most weather conditions.  We've had our's running famously in rain, sleet, and snowy conditions.  In the later, its important to keep the air intake area cleared of accumulated snow - but otherwise, never experienced a problem.

Cheers!

Edited by MAX Burner
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

Thanks for everyone's comments.  Not sure about running any generator in the rain that isn't specifically designed for it.  See label below from Honda's EU2200 manual which is what we have.   On the other hand, please don't ask me if I have carefully read the entire manual before operation.  I have enough trouble with my hair as it is...don't want any of those zzzzap-curls!  I've gotten enough of those in the past 🤯

image.png.f42477f4aea0f92c71758a8d9727cbe6.png

• Like 2

I would be more concerned (depending on ambient conditions) with the generator overheating with a tight fitting cover.  Something like an umbrella like cover vs an enclose would be my preference. 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Jim and Frances said:

Not sure about running any generator in the rain that isn't specifically designed for it. 

That is why I put my pair of dual-fuel Champion generators in the bed of my pickup, under the truck canopy, when it is raining.  Even though I don't have the optional front 30A power connection, I have a 50-ft. 30A power cord that will reach the 30A connection on the driver's side of the Elite II.

• Like 4

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

20 hours ago, Jim and Frances said:

image.png.fde5e3120e458bcd572ad7577a9c6f04.png

@Jim and Frances

Great topic!
I carry a generator and use this gentent when needed. It’s completely a 💯 flawed thinking anyone can run a generator in wet rainy weather or worse a down pour and think you are not risking exposure to electrocution. 

I have a genttent for my eu3200i which packs up neatly in its own case. Gentent has a size to accommodate most if not all small generators. I have found their products to be very well made and stellar customer service. These covers do allow the heat and exhaust to escape as well. I don’t think you would be disappointed with their products.

I always carry our Suitcase 3200i as I never know when I may need it. I like options! 😊

Safe Travels and Safe Camping!

https://www.gentent.com/portable-generators/?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwkuqvBhAQEiwA65XxQOuiS48IwDd6Ba6rANslI6McAtpX8x_2MgSv5Aw_t6Vit76GDP6irRoCmCoQAvD_BwE

Edited by Patriot
  • Thanks 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

3 hours ago, ChrisMI said:

I would be more concerned (depending on ambient conditions) with the generator overheating with a tight fitting cover.  Something like an umbrella like cover vs an enclose would be my preference. 

You could mount a receiver in the corner of the front basket, to drop the handle of a golf umbrella into when it rains. ☺️

• Like 4

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

For those who use your generator in the rain, for the most part, it will be fine.  However, there might be times when water drips down onto the positive and the neutral causing an arc.  This has happened to me several times.  The first was a non-issue because I saw the sparking and shut it down.  The second and last time, it caught the plastic housing on fire and melted my extension cord.  If the generator says it isn't equipped for use in the rain, follow the directions.  It might just save you something.  

• Like 2

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4X4 Truck

2024 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull 1460

ARILINIAKSKYLAMIMNMONMOHOKPASDTNTXVAmed.

21 hours ago, ChrisMI said:

I agree with your concern.  I really don't like the cute little fire waiting to happen, especially given it's about half the price of a small Clam shelter which offers other uses.  

Maybe just some flexible tent poles for $20 and tarp material with some plastic clips used for greenhouse covers - or, as @jd1923 mentioned, a golf umbrella!