RockTamers Always Loosening

I’ve had my RockTamers for 12 years now, and not once do I remember them staying tight on my hitch.  I snug them down tight, snug the lock nuts down, and by our first stop, the blasted things are loose.  I’m thinking of making some shims to fit between the receiver and cast RockTamer collet, but thought I’d ask if anyone has a better solution.   Thoughts?

• Like 2

Hull #364 - The Roadrunner 

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

ALAKAZARCACOFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMSMO

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators

I've done both shims and an "anti-rattle" hitch that Mossemi put me on to which is much better than the first two I tried.

Even with that - on a trip of roughly 6,000 miles I will still have to tighten things up at least once or twice during the trip.

If Mossemi doesn't beat me to it, I'll get you the name of that anti-rattle hitch.

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

@Wandering Sagebrush It appears you own a Super Duty. I chose Lively Machine -  https://www.livelymachine.com/custom crafted “ROCK STOPPERs” for our F350 Super Duty.

Here is why:

*Appearance

*Excellent Fit and finish

*Ease of install and removal

*Zero concerns with hardware loosening

*Custom direct fit into my existing OEM receiver sides.

*All aluminum and S/S hardware.

*Black powder coated aluminum tubing 

*Anti sail weighted flaps. 

*Most importantly excellent coverage and protection for the front of “XPLOR”.

Just another option.

Safe Rock Stopping Travels! 

IMG_9170.thumb.jpeg.0c83a39e5443f1dfb05687790977f429.jpegIMG_9980.thumb.jpeg.72d0bb8794473b3b0a60c1f21a70a449.jpeg

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 3

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

I have been using cedar or plastic for door framing shims on my receiver hitch to stop the rattle for years. I just installed Rock Tamers and will try them if things loosen up.

• Like 1

Hull #1238 - Legacy Elite II, TB. TV 2017 Tundra TRD.

image.png.fd5454c21b295a590a02414d92eff4f0.png

Just part of the "pre-departure" checklist - we always tighten the Rock Tamer bolts before departing the area...  Just say'n

• Like 2

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

• Moderators
17 hours ago, topgun2 said:

If Mossemi doesn't beat me to it, I'll get you the name of that anti-rattle hitch.

The name of the anti-rattle device is:  Hitch-Vice

The name of the company that makes it is: Hitchrider.com

After a couple of years of use, the bolts showed that they were bending.  So, I replaced them with grade 8 bolts and also added a couple of nyloc nuts to help keep things tight.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

2 hours ago, Wandering Sagebrush said:

Art, I do the same… but they always loosen.

Locktite?

• Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

5 hours ago, Wandering Sagebrush said:

Art, I do the same… but they always loosen.

Can you use Nylocks or double nutting?

• Like 2

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

So there's two tightening bolts on either lower side of the mounting assy (the arrow's pointing to the STBD side bolt).  The bolts are "double nutted" (w/washer and lock-washer) to the assy. which keeps it tight on the shank.  The "looseness" we experience is the hitch shank/receiver connection when not towing.  Once there's tongue weight on the system everything is "ROCK" (pun intended) solid - provided those 2 tightening bolts are torqued down.

We've got a "Hitch Vice" in the shop with bent bolts from the AS days - once I get my hands on it, I'll take @topgun2's advice and fix it with a couple grade 8's...

Screenshot 2024-03-28 at 2.10.21 PM.png

Edited by MAX Burner
tried to add some clarity - probably failed...

spacer.png

• 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs

I don't know what the hitch vice is made from, but if the Grade 8's don't work, possibly you could drill it out to a larger bolt size and re-tap it? 

GJ

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

@Geronimo John - John: here's the link to the item in question, FYI:

https://www.hitchrider.com/nowobble.htm

Don't think there's enough room in the housing of the vice to enlarge the bolts...  Don't have it physically in front of me ATM.

spacer.png

• Moderators

I bought my first Hitchrider for a Toyota Highlander and a utility trailer and I was very pleased with the product.  When we decided to buy an OTT, we sold the Highlander and bought a used Toyota Landcruiser.  To my dismay, the Hitchrider would not fit the LC.  A call to Hitchrider and with some requested measurements, they produced one that fit the LC.  Great product and company.  I am using the original model with my new truck.

Mossey

• Like 3

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

On 3/27/2024 at 12:12 PM, Wandering Sagebrush said:

Thought I’d ask if anyone has a better solution.  

Wicking Loctite (Green).  You can put a drop on the bolt threads and it will wick into the threaded connection. 

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-29031-Green-Wicking-Threadlockers/dp/B004FCH82C

• Like 3

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg