Squatters

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators

It’s crossed my mind.  We have our alarm system on and good neighbors (plus mom next door), so we would react quickly.  I like what Florida has done with their new law.  Mike

• Like 5

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

50 minutes ago, Steph and Dud B said:

We're covered with redundant alarms and cameras. We'd know right away.

Same here, interior and exterior motion sensing video/audio - although in a low-density living area, we've got real good/"appropriately trained" neighbors...

• Like 4

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

I like Art's (MaxBurner) dual roving security systems.  ARF! ARF! 

🙂

GJ

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

The day after we accepted an offer on our house a couple years ago, the neighbor was sitting in his car on his phone when he arrived home about 2 am. A car pulled into our driveway that was parallel to theirs about 20 feet away with a hedge in between. He could hear a couple arguing in our driveway about moving into the house since it was empty. We wouldn't be closing for two weeks and were still moving items out when this happened. I suspect the perps were able to tell the status of the house via Zillo information on line. The people in the driveway that night had foreign accents. Between the neighbors and myself we had to maintain a vigil and I slept in the house until the buyers could take possession at closing. This has been very much on the rise in the Indianapolis area. 

• Thanks 2
  • Wow 8
  • Sad 1

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

A bit over a year ago I visited a vacant lot I own on the Deschutes River south of Sunriver, OR.  The lot is river front and undeveloped and we have used it occasionally over the years for camping and messing around.  Arrived to see a "For Sale" sign stuck  in the ground advertising the lot for a local real estate firm.  Made a quick visit to the realtors office and was told there was a lot of interest in the lot but, sadly for me, it had sold a couple days previously and the sale was due to close shortly.  Jaws dropped when I mentioned I owned the lot and that I had not listed it ... they had taken the listing over the phone and, apparantly, were a bit slack on their due diligence.  County sheriff put some effort into identifying the scammer, who by this time had gone underground, but nothing came of it.   I avoided being involved in an uncomfortable situation, the buyer got his down payment back, which was being held in escrow and no one was badly hurt (aside from the agent who lost a significant commission).

Vacant lots and homes are apparantly considered fair game by the ethically challenged.

Edited by Jim and Chris Neuman
  • Thanks 2
  • Care 1
  • Wow 4
  • Sad 1

On 3/28/2024 at 2:40 PM, mountainoliver said:

Anyone concerned about squatters moving into their home while traveling for several weeks/months?

Our son's apartment is our lower level, and we ask him to be home and responsible when we travel. I'd hate to be that squatter.

Can't believe what I heard on the news! A homeowner was arrested for changing locks on their own home, alleged intent to lockout squatters. This is a rule for landlords, but there was no lease agreement and no rents paid. How crazy will it get? This crazy, no, much worse? What's next?

Edited by topgun2
grammar
  • Like 2
  • Wow 2

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!