Great Sand Dunes

Jill took this as we arrived - Great Sand Dunes - sorry for the length - sort of

• Thanks 2
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

ALCOGALANMNCTNTXmed.jpg
Doug & Jill - Wilson WY

Ozzie and Ruby - 2 Havanese characters

“Hull #1491” ‘24 LEII

’23 F-250 RapidRed KR 7.3 Godzilla

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators

Was the water running at the base of the dunes?  How was the campground, crowded?

Mossey

• Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

I visited the park in 2018, but was not equipped to camp that time. I hope to visit again -- and I'm also interested in the conditions you found. It's lovely scenery! 

• Like 2

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

2024.04.29 - ALAZARCOFLGAIAKSKYLAMONENMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYBBBBBBsm.jpg

3 hours ago, mossemi said:

Was the water running at the base of the dunes?  How was the campground, crowded?

Mossey

Haven’t been to the dunes yet. Am up in Pinion camp. Maybe 40% full. Completely blue skies, 35 degrees now, 25 last night. Just learned that it is a dog friendly park - I think everywhere. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

ALCOGALANMNCTNTXmed.jpg
Doug & Jill - Wilson WY

“Hull #1491” ‘24 LEII

• Moderators

The campground (Piñon Flats) is nice.  No hookups and some sites are a little tight.  We were on the edge facing the dunes, a really great view out of the back window.  We really enjoyed our time there.  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Great Park. The hike up to Zapata Falls and into the cave to the falls was amazing. Need waders, that water will be cold.

• Like 5

John & Susan Dorrer, 2013 F250, 6.2 gasser, 4x4, 2022 Legacy Elite 2, twin beds, Hull #1045, Jolli Olli

-ALARCOIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMNMSMOMTNENHNY

My bride at the great sand dunes last Oct 23rd. If you think people look really close while visiting the dunes..well they are not.
Don’t ask me how I know. 😄

IMG_0023.thumb.jpeg.9b768b92a1acc8a5a97ddcd6f28ef5a7.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR”

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

Spent 4 nights there summer before last early in September.  Really enjoyed the hiking and the relative quiet once off the main road.  Many of the sites are too small for even smaller trailers - we lucked into a great pull through but they were few.  Choose your site carefully and well in advance.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Boudicca908 said:

I visited the park in 2018, but was not equipped to camp that time. I hope to visit again -- and I'm also interested in the conditions you found. It's lovely scenery! 

It is really beautiful- the ranger said that it’s the nicest day of the year. The water is starting to run. A small patch right off the campground just appeared. We went into Alamosa a little after going out into the dunes and the truck thermometer said 61F at 1:30. The air is fresh and clear. All of the surrounding mountains have a respectable amount of snow. Clouds in the southwest style started appearing around noon. 

• Like 7

ALCOGALANMNCTNTXmed.jpg
Doug & Jill - Wilson WY

“Hull #1491” ‘24 LEII

• Moderator+
Posted (edited)

Who knows why there are 700 foot sand dunes in South Central Colorado?

Edited by ScubaRx
  • Like 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

12 hours ago, mossemi said:

Mossey

Here is a photo:

IMG_4204.jpeg

• Thanks 2
  • Like 4

ALCOGALANMNCTNTXmed.jpg
Doug & Jill - Wilson WY

“Hull #1491” ‘24 LEII

23 minutes ago, ScubaRx said:

Who knows why the are 700 foot sand dunes in South Central Colorado?

It was a huge sand deposit from the glaciation process in the surrounding mountains. Winds eventually pushed a fraction of the sand into the mountains you see behind. They are always changing on a small scale, but one photo taken in the 1850s (?) looks nearly identical to today. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

ALCOGALANMNCTNTXmed.jpg
Doug & Jill - Wilson WY

“Hull #1491” ‘24 LEII

7 hours ago, Patriot said:

My bride at the great sand dunes last Oct 23rd. If you think people look really close while visiting the dunes..well they are not.
Don’t ask me how I know. 😄

IMG_0023.thumb.jpeg.9b768b92a1acc8a5a97ddcd6f28ef5a7.jpeg

We share some of the same surprises of perception 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

ALCOGALANMNCTNTXmed.jpg
Doug & Jill - Wilson WY

“Hull #1491” ‘24 LEII

12 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

Who knows why there are 700 foot sand dunes in South Central Colorado?

When we visited the Great Sand Dunes there was a really neat 30 minute movie talking all about the natural phenomenon that occurs in this part of CO. I did not commit all the information to memory, but here is the explanation of how Mother Nature created the Dunes which we both thought was pretty cool. 😊

In a snap shot - Wind from the northeast funnels through the Sangre de Christo Mountains and pushes against the opposing southwestern winds, which erodes additional sand from the mountain sides and brings it into the dune system.

Wait there is more- 
https://www.usgs.gov/index.php/geology-and-ecology-of-national-parks/great-sand-dunes-national-park-and-preserve#:~:text=Wind from the northeast funnels,it into the dune system. 

Edited by Patriot
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 3

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

The Dunes are about a 90-minute drive northeast of our cabin near Mogote, CO; we go there often...  Never get tired of that location - very cool.  Thanks for posting @Doug S!

Cheers!

• Like 5

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

• Moderators

Krunch and I climbed Star Dune in August of 2009.  The 750' climb was like walking in quick sand.  It being August, we started climbing before daylight to beat the heat.

Mossey

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators
3 hours ago, mossemi said:

we started climbing before daylight to beat the heat

Mad dogs and Englishmen?  😎

• Wow 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

5 hours ago, mossemi said:

Krunch and I climbed Star Dune in August of 2009.  The 750' climb was like walking in quick sand.  It being August, we started climbing before daylight to beat the heat.

Mossey

I salute you and your bride for your 750’ climb! So very wise to get it done early. 👍🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 

• Thanks 1

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

We visited this park June 1996. Our son Adam was born the year before and was only 17 months old! Chris' kids were with us, Joe (age 15) and I carried Adam in a baby backpack everywhere we hiked! The two teenagers in our family hiked to the top of the dunes, up and down and more.

We were staying in a cabin top of Monarch Mountain at 10K FT, west of Salida CO. Headaches every night (we lived sea level in the burbs of N IL), go figure. Each day we wanted a hike at 7-9K feet, not higher! 🤣

Per an earlier member comment, sand dunes make more sense between mountain ranges than on the beach, or perhaps the same. I rode the little dunes of Kitty Hawk and Nags Head of the Outer Banks, back in the day (late 70s) on my Honda XL350 Enduro! This is where I learned to handle a dirt bike!

Enjoyed many days on the beach in the Indiana/Michigan Dunes, a long drive from Chicago. What a great place, period!

GREAT post, we need to get back there again in the Oliver!

• Like 2

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

On 4/3/2024 at 3:18 PM, Jim and Chris Neuman said:

Spent 4 nights there summer before last early in September.  Really enjoyed the hiking and the relative quiet once off the main road.  Many of the sites are too small for even smaller trailers - we lucked into a great pull through but they were few.  Choose your site carefully and well in advance.

Ours was one of the tight ones! Good site though. So far it is always easier to drive out than back in!

• Like 1

ALCOGALANMNCTNTXmed.jpg
Doug & Jill - Wilson WY

“Hull #1491” ‘24 LEII

• 2 months later...