Lightning Precautions

• Moderators

Here’s an interesting article on what to do in a lightning storm.  They say metal RV’s are safer than all fiberglass RV’s.  They also give some other advice.  I’d be interested in what the consensus is on what everyone does during storms.  Mike

Lightning Storm Precautions

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
59 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

Here’s an interesting article on what to do in a lightning storm.  They say metal RV’s are safer than all fiberglass RV’s.  They also give some other advice.  I’d be interested in what the consensus is on what everyone does during storms.  Mike

Lightning Storm Precautions

Really didn't think about my elect. cord... I'll start disconnecting.  Thanks.

• Like 3

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

I’d be interested in what the consensus is on what everyone does during storms.

I don't know about "consensus" but basically the article in your link reflects old Boy Scout advice from long ago.

In the over eight years since I bought Twist I have only left it once due to lightening/storm.  Every situation is different, terrain, trees, likely direction of the storm, availability of studier shelter, potential protection for the Ollie and my truck, etc.  Certainly one thing in the article that is very important (IMO) is one or two sources of "automatic" weather warning information.  I use and app on my "burner" cell phone called "Severe Weather Alerts" and I always carry a NOAA Weather Alert Radio - both have automatic alert features.

One additional point - if it is possible and you have a good sense of where/what direction the potential storm may be coming from - point the Ollie with either its front or back towards the storm.  Since many of these severe storms also have high winds, the Ollie's aero will help if placed in this orientation.

Bill

• Thanks 2
  • Like 9

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Staying weather aware is so important.

I have to admit we have been through a several really rough pop up Tstorms and stayed safe and dry inside XPLOR unplugged from 30a of course. We always try and have a contingency plan such as knowing where the CG storm or local shelter is IF they have one. In cases where the weather is going  to be really severe and possibly place us in harms way we may just pack up and just leave a day early. We also avoid camping in flood zones or low areas which are usually near small creeks and mountain streams. Safety first for sure. 👍🏻 

This thread is a good reminder! Thanks Mike.

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 4

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators
15 hours ago, Patriot said:

We also avoid camping in flood zones or low areas which are usually near small creeks and mountain streams.

At the rally ask me about our flood experience and the 2am evacuation!

• Like 4

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

6 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

At the rally ask me about our flood experience and the 2am evacuation!

Will do. Kathy and I look forward to seeing you and Carol again! 

• Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

17 hours ago, Patriot said:

Staying weather aware is so important.

I have to admit we have been through a several really rough pop up Tstorms and stayed safe and dry inside XPLOR unplugged from 30a of course. We always try and have a contingency plan such as knowing where the CG storm or local shelter is IF they have one. In cases where the weather is going  to be really severe and possibly place us in harms way we may just pack up and just leave a day early. We also avoid camping in flood zones or low areas which are usually near small creeks and mountain streams. Safety first for sure. 👍🏻 

This thread is a good reminder! Thanks Mike.

Spot On👍

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

John & Susan Dorrer, 2013 F250, 6.2 gasser, 4x4, 2022 Legacy Elite 2, twin beds, Hull #1045, Jolli Olli

-ALARCOIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMNMSMOMTNENHNY

I was informed at Oliver that the aluminum bubble radiant barrier that completely wraps around the interior wall acts as a faraday cage so no need to run to the truck.  However, a tree falling on the trailer will take care of all of our worries.

• Haha 2

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4X4 Truck

2024 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull 1460

ARILINIAKSKYLAMIMNMONMOHOKPASDTNTXVAmed.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Jason Foster said:

However, a tree falling on the trailer will take care of all of our worries.

True, but our Oliver’s could surely withstand more “tree” impact than a sticks and staples!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

Oliver’s could surely withstand more “tree” impact than a sticks and staples!

...or aluminum and rivets!

• Like 3

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

15 hours ago, Jason Foster said:

I was informed at Oliver that the aluminum bubble radiant barrier that completely wraps around the interior wall acts as a faraday cage...

Is this really true? Is the aluminum wrap everywhere? When I did our cellular router installation in the TV, working with MobileMustHave.com, they asked about the trailer being fiberglass vs. aluminum like the AS trailers. In an AS you have to install an access point inside of the trailer, since the roof-mounted Wi-Fi antennas cannot penetrate the AS shell. I got a free access point with my deal but did not need it to install it.

I'm typing this now inside our Oliver, parked on the north shore of Lake Meade. I'm getting 80 Mbps down, 20 up connected to the TV router which is parked outside of course. We have one window blind open, the other two in the sun ar closed. Run our computers, stream TV, not seeing much effect of the insulating wrap.

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

16 hours ago, Jason Foster said:

I was informed at Oliver that the aluminum bubble radiant barrier that completely wraps around the interior wall acts as a faraday cage so no need to run to the truck.  However, a tree falling on the trailer will take care of all of our worries.

We have sprayed on "lizard skin" insulation and none of that aluminum bubble wrap in our Ollie...  so it's off to the TV when the lightning gets crazy!

• Like 1

2010 Elite II, Hull #45.  2014 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7 with tow package.

On 4/23/2024 at 9:54 AM, Mike and Carol said:

True, but our Oliver’s could surely withstand more “tree” impact than a sticks and staples!

Yes but I'm afraid I might cry myself to death afterwards.

• Like 2

On 4/23/2024 at 12:30 PM, MAX Burner said:

...or aluminum and rivets!

Proper use of aluminum

beer cans GIF by The Moms

Edited by Jason Foster
  • Haha 2

On 4/23/2024 at 3:57 PM, jd1923 said:

Is this really true? Is the aluminum wrap everywhere? When I did our cellular router installation in the TV, working with MobileMustHave.com, they asked about the trailer being fiberglass vs. aluminum like the AS trailers. In an AS you have to install an access point inside of the trailer, since the roof-mounted Wi-Fi antennas cannot penetrate the AS shell. I got a free access point with my deal but did not need it to install it.

I'm typing this now inside our Oliver, parked on the north shore of Lake Meade. I'm getting 80 Mbps down, 20 up connected to the TV router which is parked outside of course. We have one window blind open, the other two in the sun ar closed. Run our computers, stream TV, not seeing much effect of the insulating wrap.

Only one way to find out.  Season 4 Lightning GIF by The Simpsons

• Wow 1

On 4/23/2024 at 4:25 PM, CRM said:

We have sprayed on "lizard skin" insulation and none of that aluminum bubble wrap in our Ollie...  so it's off to the TV when the lightning gets crazy!

I doubt very seriously it will ever be a problem but better safe than a statistic.