Brand of metal valve stems

Can anyone tell what breand of metal valve stems work well on our rims (2021 Elite II). I purchased a TST TPMS system and want to use metal stems. Had a local dealer install the metal stems. The TPMS sensors have been on three days. Today when checking the tires to see if the tpms read the same as my guage, one tire was a few pounds low. I removed the sensor, added air, then when I screwed the  sensor back on there was a distinct air leak. Yjought it was the core, but it seems air is leaking where the stem meets the rim. must be a bad seal. So my thought is our rims may need a particular brand of stems? Monday moring i'll be on the phone with delaer.

Jeff Simone and Katie Thibodeau

2021 Oliver Elite II Hull # 802

Tow Vehicle; 2018 Silverado 2500HD LTZ Crew Cab 6.0 Liter Vortec

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
  • Like 2

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

We had a similar issue until I figured out that Metal stems can be tightened down at the nut to stop leaking.

To do the job, take off the sensor.  Hold the threaded valve stem with needle nose pliers while tightening nut.  Careful to not damage stem threads. 

IMG_0479.thumb.jpeg.fbef3d685f167919409724591cc00ff7.jpeg

• Like 3

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

We decided to go with metal valve stems 3 years ago. Shortly after doing so we had a flat, and the metal stem had failed.😣 
I took XPLOR Hull #634 to our local discount tire shop and had all new rubber stems installed and all tires rotated and balanced. Zero issues since. We use the TST TPMS system and are very happy with it. The tech who does tires all day long said he sees more failures with metal stems than rubber. That was good enough advice for me.

Cheers and Safe Travels! 

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR”

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

10 hours ago, Patriot said:

We decided to go with metal valve stems 3 years ago. Shortly after doing so we had a flat, and the metal stem had failed.😣 
I took XPLOR Hull #634 to our local discount tire shop and had all new rubber stems installed and all tires rotated and balanced. Zero issues since. We use the TST TPMS system and are very happy with it. The tech who does tires all day long said he sees more failures with metal stems than rubber. That was good enough advice for me.

Cheers and Safe Travels! 

Conversely, I had two of the OLEll stock rubber valve stems fail on a return trip from West Texas last summer, ambient daytime temps were 110-115°. After the second time, I pulled into a Discount Tire in Fredericksburg, TX and had metal stems installed on the Oliver and a set in hand for installation on the TV once home. At the time of TST purchase, the instructions stated use of rubber stems was acceptable. However, their instructions have since been revised advocating use of metal stems only. Based on Discount Tire’s assessment, the extreme heat caused the rubber stems to flex more along with the added weight of the monitors, thus stress fractures resulted in failure. I was told they recently had several other trailers brought in with the exact same issue. The metal stems are shorter than the rubber ones and have not presented any problems thus far. 

• Like 3

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt, Hughes Autoformer, dual Lagun tables

13 hours ago, StillGame said:

Can anyone tell what breand of metal valve stems work well on our rims (2021 Elite II).

This is what Discount Tire installed on my Oliver. I also bought a set of the exact same stems from them for my TV; took it to DT upon my return home and they did the install. No issues to date. 

IMG_4403.thumb.jpeg.57ffb3838a6c22a5bedfc0c340a71179.jpeg

IMG_4399.thumb.jpeg.f9a9407299125fa3f1cc51c5e1a41a59.jpeg

IMG_4401.thumb.jpeg.330e60a68e8b8d74622bb98d3f6f32ba.jpeg

• Like 3

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt, Hughes Autoformer, dual Lagun tables

1 hour ago, Ronbrink said:

Conversely, I had two of the OLEll stock rubber valve stems fail on a return trip from West Texas last summer, ambient daytime temps were 110-115°. After the second time, I pulled into a Discount Tire in Fredericksburg, TX and had metal stems installed on the Oliver and a set in hand for installation on the TV once home. At the time of TST purchase, the instructions stated use of rubber stems was acceptable. However, their instructions have since been revised advocating use of metal stems only. Based on Discount Tire’s assessment, the extreme heat caused the rubber stems to flex more along with the added weight of the monitors, thus stress fractures resulted in failure. I was told they recently had several other trailers brought in with the exact same issue. The metal stems are shorter than the rubber ones and have not presented any problems thus far. 

@Ronbrink
All good points especially since TST has now revised their recommendation of metal stems vs rubber. Based on this I will reconsider not using the rubber stems and replace with metal sooner than later. I think it’s also important to not over tighten the TST TPMS cap when installing it. This could break the seal and cause a slow leak on either metal or rubber stems. It’s worthy noting that the metal stems still use a rubber seal which is still subject to leaking and failure. 

• Like 2

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

We’ve used TST and metal stems for the last 7/8 years or so and a lot of miles, no issues.  Mike

Looks like a trip to DCT soon. Thanks Mike!

• Like 1

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

We’ve used TST and metal stems for the last 7/8 years or so and a lot of miles, no issues.  Mike

Same here, Mike.  

In fact in New Mexico (I understand in other states, as well), State Police will issue citations for those driving on E-rated tires and rubber stems.  Evidently, metal stems are far less to cause a catastrophic tire failure at the higher pressures than rubber stems - not that anyone in this community runs at 80psi...

Rule of thumb - if you're running any tire over 80psi, you should consider metal valve stems.  These, for example, are rated at 200psi and are recommended by eTrailer for E-rated tires, FYI:

Screenshot2024-04-21at6_54_15AM.thumb.png.961b2f6c51ca049cbcfde5fe615e5dd7.png

• Like 1

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

16 hours ago, Patriot said:

Cheers and Safe Travels! 

The rubber ones move a lot while driving and we had one developed a small leak. TST say metal stems

We switch and haven't had an issue. We used Clark Tire, a large truck tire place. They supplied and installed.

I would be concerned with a major failure with rubber. My 2¢

• Like 1

John & Susan Dorrer, 2013 F250, 6.2 gasser, 4x4, 2022 Legacy Elite 2, twin beds, Hull #1045, Jolli Olli

-ALARCOIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMNMSMOMTNENHNY

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, John Dorrer said:

The rubber ones move a lot while driving and we had one developed a small leak.

Just to be fair:

I too have metal stems and have never had a problem.  However, I never had a problem with rubber stems either.

I think that metal stems usually make sense for those of us that have stem mounted TPMS primarily due to the reason John mentions above.

But, if you tend to take your Ollie into really "wild" places where the stems are likely to be hit with rocks, deep ruts, brush, etc. then the rubber stems can be a bit more "forgiving" than the metal stems.

Bill

• Like 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

A short follow up:

I dropped off my (spare) tire/wheel today just to be sure that my local DCT had the metal stem I needed in stock. I have an appt Wednesday morning to have all 4 tires rotated, balanced and the remaining 4 new metal stems installed. They just could not squeeze me in today. Not a big deal, and fair enough as they were pretty slammed. They were kind enough to at least get my spare swapped out. No charge of course.
I returned home, remounted the spare on the back of XPLOR. This precludes me having to remove the bike rack etc at DCT this Wednesday when I get the rest of the wheels done. 
This metal stem seems to be a bit lower profile or shorter than the OEM rubber stems which suits me fine. I am thinking it will keep the TST TPMS cap TPMS transmitter a little closer to the inside of the wheel away from road rockets. I am really liking the Cooper tires and as they appear to be wearing really well. I will replace them with a new this set next year. Very happy to have 16” rims as well.

Cheers!

Roll On!! 

IMG_0901.thumb.jpeg.234ad75baedddcb978ea49c8337aec88.jpeg

IMG_0899.thumb.jpeg.dd3546194a15afe80845d579ecca3d32.jpeg

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 5

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

7 hours ago, Patriot said:

Very happy to have 16” rims as well.

Cheers!

Its also nice have a full/same-size spare, roger?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

On 4/21/2024 at 6:20 AM, Ronbrink said:

For a little bit further clarification:

I called and spoke with Customer Service rep Maria at the TST Office in Cumming, Ga. (770) 889-9102. I asked her if rubber valve stems can be used with the 507 TPMS bottle cap style sensors? She said yes. She went on to say, that an application requiring flow through sensors, it would require metal valve stems. To their knowledge nothing has changed in the install instructions with regard to use of rubber stems with the bottle cap signal sender. 

Safe Travels! 

Screenshot2024-04-23at8_05_25PM.thumb.jpeg.7da23393cdba0f1861aa384db915132e.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

Thanks for all the responses. Turns out the RV dealer where I had brought the Ollie for bearings and grease job had sent out the wheels to a tire shop near them to have the valve stems replaced. Not wanting to drive the extra fifty miles again, I solved my problem by putting  the spare on the Ollie and bringing the affected wheel to a good local tire shop, only a few miles away, who showed me that the valve stem used had a poor seal. They replaced it with a metal brass stem (the tech didn't know the brand, they get them in bulk as they do a lot of fleet work on E rated truck tires) and balanced the tire. I went home, brought the Ollie back with the spare on and they changed the remaining 4 valve stems and installed the sensors for me. An hour later the Ollie was back home, all 5 tires are good with no air leaking. I'll hit up the original RV dealer for the forty dollars.  

Does anyone use a sensor on the spare?

21 hours ago, Patriot said:

I asked her if rubber valve stems can be used with the 507 TPMS bottle cap style sensors? She said yes. She went on to say, that an application requiring flow through sensors, it would require metal valve stems.

Thanks for bringing this information to our attention, I stand corrected!  Going back to a past FB comment I wrote: I went with the equipped rubber stems until they started failing. Our Texas heat is brutal and in the 110°+ heatwave where traveling my tire temps reached 105°+. Hopefully the aluminum stems will perform better in these extreme conditions.

I have no regrets switching to the metal stems, for peace of mind if nothing else. Again, thanks.

Edited by Ronbrink
  • Like 2

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

On 4/24/2024 at 8:58 AM, StillGame said:

I take the sensor off the flat and use it on the spare.

Edited by Ronbrink
  • Like 2

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, StillGame said:

Absolutely!  Several Ollie owners do.

In fact - as long as you are thinking about getting a spare sensor for the Ollie, why not get two - one for your tow vehicle too.

Sure does make checking the tire pressure in both those spares a bunch easier.

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

Good idea. Never thought about a sensor for the truck spare, but makes sense if I put one on the Ollie spare to also do the truck.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Patriot said:

For a little bit further clarification:

I called and spoke with Customer Service rep Maria at the TST Office in Cumming, Ga. (770) 889-9102. I asked her if rubber valve stems can be used with the 507 TPMS bottle cap style sensors? She said yes. She went on to say, that an application requiring flow through sensors, it would require metal valve stems. To their knowledge nothing has changed in the install instructions with regard to use of rubber stems with the bottle cap signal sender. 

Safe Travels! 

Screenshot2024-04-23at8_05_25PM.thumb.jpeg.7da23393cdba0f1861aa384db915132e.jpeg

We have TST Flow Thru 

• Like 1

John & Susan Dorrer, 2013 F250, 6.2 gasser, 4x4, 2022 Legacy Elite 2, twin beds, Hull #1045, Jolli Olli

-ALARCOIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMNMSMOMTNENHNY

3 hours ago, Ronbrink said:

Thanks for bringing this information to our attention, I stand corrected!  Going back to a past FB comment I wrote: “I went with the equipped rubber stems until they started failing. Our Texas heat is brutal and in the 110°+ heatwave where traveling my tire temps reached 105°+. Hopefully the aluminum stems will perform better in these extreme conditions.”

I have no regrets switching to the metal stems, for peace of mind if nothing else. Again, thanks.

You bet Ron, we all get by with a little help from our friends. I kept my appt this morning with DCT and still had all my tires balanced and rotated and stems switched from rubber to S/S. I think it’s the best path forward. 👍🏻

IMG_0920.thumb.jpeg.f1c72c65c358ce58dd443efd13d794bd.jpeg

• Like 3

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

On 4/22/2024 at 3:30 PM, Patriot said:

A short follow up:

I dropped off my (spare) tire/wheel today just to be sure that my local DCT had the metal stem I needed in stock. I have an appt Wednesday morning to have all 4 tires rotated, balanced and the remaining 4 new metal stems installed. They just could not squeeze me in today. Not a big deal, and fair enough as they were pretty slammed. They were kind enough to at least get my spare swapped out. No charge of course.
I returned home, remounted the spare on the back of XPLOR. This precludes me having to remove the bike rack etc at DCT this Wednesday when I get the rest of the wheels done. 
This metal stem seems to be a bit lower profile or shorter than the OEM rubber stems which suits me fine. I am thinking it will keep the TST TPMS cap TPMS transmitter a little closer to the inside of the wheel away from road rockets. I am really liking the Cooper tires and as they appear to be wearing really well. I will replace them with a new this set next year. Very happy to have 16” rims as well.

Cheers!

Roll On!! 

IMG_0901.thumb.jpeg.234ad75baedddcb978ea49c8337aec88.jpeg

IMG_0899.thumb.jpeg.dd3546194a15afe80845d579ecca3d32.jpeg

We have the same tires...if I can them to ever wear out I'll probably switch over to metal stems then.  37,000+ miles and going strong :classic_smile:  (probably just jinxed myself :classic_unsure:)

John

• Like 2

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

1 hour ago, johnwen said:

We have the same tires...if I can them to ever wear out I'll probably switch over to metal stems then.  37,000+ miles and going strong :classic_smile:  (probably just jinxed myself :classic_unsure:)

John

Roll On John!! 🛞 
Hope we get to see you and Wendy again down the road! Aim High Go Air Force!🇺🇸

- David

Edited by Patriot
  • Love 1

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg