Best RV for full-time living

I have started this discussion not to rehash Airstream vs Oliver (it is obvious, the article link to author below, the author has a long-term Airstream bias from reading his history and probably/maybe a relationship with Airstream), but because if you step back and think about "matches from what you want from life on the road," he concluded that the Airstream trailer  "this model is best for couples and solo full-timers" (Don't need to get into Camper vans and Camper trucks at this time)

My point being that it logically follows the Oliver would also be best for couples and solo full-timers.  (Note: I am still planning on buying an Oliver 4th quarter this year unless circumstances materially change.)

========================

If you have read my recent post on current economic indicators and RV issues, I think one can make an argument that a new or couple of years old Oliver would help deal with some of the RV issues that are current challenging RV owners.  Benefits of mobility, RV age limitations at parks, some off-road/off-grid capabilities, and minimal repair issues by comparison to one heck of a lot of RVs. 

https://blog.campingworld.com/find-your-rv/best-rv-for-full-time-living/

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory

Surprised nobody has replied to this, in our rather vocal group! Full timing is certainly not for us! What would I do with a garage full of trucks and tools? Multiple outbuildings, motorcycles and dirt bikes...? Heck, I miss that I don't have a tractor anymore! 🤣

I would think something larger than an Oliver would be more fitting to full timing (now this should get the conversation going)! I'd want a full queen (60x80") to start, not two singles or even a short RV queen, maybe a king. I'd hate to move out and lose our California King (and my garage)! The upside would be having a large bank account in selling our home (not).

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

Posted (edited)

I think some topics are probably pretty well talked out, but one never knows what one may learn from a fellow forum member. 

Looks like I am leaving for Thailand the end of July. I had a huge paperwork jungle to deal with over about a month or so, but finally got it all sorted out so I can "rehome" my mother to a nursing home in Thailand. When I get back from Thailand in October, I will know what my next step will look like. Need to confer with my Thai  girlfriend before I finalize my decision to buy an Oliver when I return, put it off for awhile, or go a different direction. 

Edited by RodgerS

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

I’m not sure we could full time in our Oliver.  We’re good for a couple of months, but get cabin fever if the weather gets bad.  If I was full timing I’d look at an Arctic Fox or Outdoor RV.  They seem to be of better quality than most stick and staple trailers and can be big enough to spread out a little.  Intech is also an interesting manufacturer with different building techniques.  Mike

Edited by Mike and Carol
  • Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

This is something I've thought about myself. On the one hand, a great big fifth wheel would have tons of living and storage space, plus the safety and comfort of a full size truck as the TV. Would be ideal for long stays in various places, as would a diesel-pusher Class A motorhome. OTOH, if you wanted to move around a lot, a Class B would be convenient. Park it anywhere. There's a couple on YouTube that does just that. They live full time in a very nice Class B and take it everywhere. (They previously had a Class A and an Airstream. Their channel is called LivinRVision and they discuss the pros/cons of each RV here: https://youtu.be/pH8Wr8nT8kY?si=w2b4HkpHoH6UVzbQ)

I don't see the Oliver LE2 as a good full-timer since it has the disadvantages of both: hitching/unhitching, limited storage/living space, too big for small urban parking lots. We seem to have found our sweet spot with Eggcelsior: multi-week stays in state parks with no hookups but decent bathhouses. We can fit in most sites, our lithium setup lasts forever, and the bathhouses keep our tanks happy. I can definitely see doing a month+ on the road, but not full time.

• Like 2

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

We have done 6 weeks 2-3 times and that is about my wife's limit. We are planning a longer trip for August 2025 into Canada and the West coast.

• Like 3

John & Susan Dorrer, 2013 F250, 6.2 gasser, 4x4, 2022 Legacy Elite 2, twin beds, Hull #1045, Jolli Olli

-ALARCOIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMNMSMOMTNENHNY

For me, the Oliver is the perfect do anything in for any amount of time for 1-2 people. My wife would never spend more than a couple weeks in it but I would in a second. 

Easy to pull, park, pack, and polish! Excellent durability. I see it as the best means of travel to destination and then unhitch to go explore when you arrive at interesting places. 

The biggest difference between the Ollie and an Airstream (2nd only to the fiberglass vs aluminum) is the 7ft vs 8ft wide aspect which makes the Oliver easier to pull and maneuver IMO. Fiberglass is more durable and easier and cheaper to repair. 

Sometimes I think about a Class C motorhome but it has drawbacks for me that make it not appealing. (Having to tow a vehicle is one for destination transportation.)  It’s such a personal decision depending on where you want go, etc. 

The last thing I would ever want to do at this point in my life is to have a very expensive tow vehicle to pull a massive 5th wheel or a fancy Class A that I couldn’t take to a state/federal park (27ft max length in some) or want to drive on the ALCAN highway. 

There or Pros and Cons to every class of RV. 

Now, if I had the means and it was going to sit mostly on some acreage in WY or MO  it might be the Living Vehicle RV. 

And if I was dreaming of something it would be an Oliver with a massive solar array on top and battery bank below, bigger windows, 5-10 feet longer than EII with a separate bed and dry bath.  Oh, and redesigned bumper for a Class III hitch and more outside accessible storage. 

Having had the Oliver almost 7 years now, there is nothing at this moment that I would trade it for at any price point for what I like and want to do. Now, I might buy something else to do some other things in other places. Life seems to take on new meaning every 10 years or so. Ha, so who knows!

Best, 
Mike 

Edited by rideadeuce
  • Like 7

- Mike

Nashville, TN

2018 Elite II - Spirit of Adventure Hull #308  - Toyota Tundra 

It definitely depends on the person and situation youre in. I "Full time" in my LE1 granted im not actually in it for most of the year as im out working on ships. But it is my main house so to speak. I have a small storage unit for seasonal equipment and anything i want to keep but dont need with me in the trailer near my parents house that i can drop/pickup from when i visit them, my F150 acts as my garage and all my time spent not at work im living in the trailer. when i am at work if its not somewhere that i can bring the trailer it gets dropped at whatever the nearest/cheapest storage lot is until i get off the ship. So far in my career its worked out to be 2 months at a time in the trailer then out working for 6 but pretty soon here that will change to much more time off. i think if it were more than just me it would almost certainly be too cramped for full time but ive had friends come with me for a few days at a time with little issue.

• Like 4

2018 F150 FX4 5.0v8 

2022 Oliver Elite Hull #1285

2023 Oliver Elite Hull #1434

19 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

I’m not sure we could full time in our Oliver.  We’re good for a couple of months, but get cabin fever if the weather gets bad.  If I was full timing I’d look at an Arctic Fox or Outdoor RV.

Same here, Mike.  We like the Arctic Fox - both their slide in and travel trailer.

19 hours ago, Steph and Dud B said:

We seem to have found our sweet spot with Eggcelsior: multi-week stays in state parks with no hookups but decent bathhouses. We can fit in most sites, our lithium setup lasts forever, and the bathhouses keep our tanks happy. I can definitely see doing a month+ on the road, but not full time.

Same here...  We like how the bathhouses make our holding tanks happier!  I'm thinking 2 months max road time for us...

@rideadeuce - All good points, Mike.  Concur, 100%.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

On 6/23/2024 at 6:51 PM, rideadeuce said:

For me, the Oliver is the perfect do anything in for any amount of time for 1-2 people. My wife would never spend more than a couple weeks in it but I would in a second. 

Easy to pull, park, pack, and polish! Excellent durability. I see it as the best means of travel to destination and then unhitch to go explore when you arrive at interesting places. 

The biggest difference between the Ollie and an Airstream (2nd only to the fiberglass vs aluminum) is the 7ft vs 8ft wide aspect which makes the Oliver easier to pull and maneuver IMO. Fiberglass is more durable and easier and cheaper to repair. 

Sometimes I think about a Class C motorhome but it has drawbacks for me that make it not appealing. (Having to tow a vehicle is one for destination transportation.)  It’s such a personal decision depending on where you want go, etc. 

The last thing I would ever want to do at this point in my life is to have a very expensive tow vehicle to pull a massive 5th wheel or a fancy Class A that I couldn’t take to a state/federal park (27ft max length in some) or want to drive on the ALCAN highway. 

There or Pros and Cons to every class of RV. 

Now, if I had the means and it was going to sit mostly on some acreage in WY or MO  it might be the Living Vehicle RV. 

And if I was dreaming of something it would be an Oliver with a massive solar array on top and battery bank below, bigger windows, 5-10 feet longer than EII with a separate bed and dry bath.  Oh, and redesigned bumper for a Class III hitch and more outside accessible storage. 

Having had the Oliver almost 7 years now, there is nothing at this moment that I would trade it for at any price point for what I like and want to do. Now, I might buy something else to do some other things in other places. Life seems to take on new meaning every 10 years or so. Ha, so who knows!

Best, 
Mike 

I came to say something, but Mike said everything I had planned on putting into my post and he did it better than I would have done.  I will pull out the one sentence that means the most, "There are Pros and Cons to every class of RV."  Match your style of camping to the trailer/MH you want.

• Like 3

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4X4 Truck

2024 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull 1460

ARILINIAKSKYLAMIMNMONMOHOKPASDTNTXVAmed.

• Moderators

Back in the day, several couples, with pets, full timed in the original Elite I.  Is it possible? Sure. They all upscale at one point, years in.

For us, the Elite I has been our summer home, sometimes 6 months, for 16 years.

But, we have a nice sticks and bricks to come home to. 

I don't think I could full time, without a home base.

Now, with grandchildren,  I'm sure I want to be home, more than away, and not moochdocking in pur daughters driveway.

Our cousins have had at least a dozen different rvs, from big buses (prevost) to bumper pulls and class cs. It's all an adventure.  Some people figure out their camping style quickly. (At least, less than a dozen.)

We're still good with the little Ollie. Part time, full time. 

I've figured out, over the years, that I don't want to full time, 24/7/365. Neither boat, nor trailer. But, that's me. Not you. Follow your heart, with reason. 

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

One of the big issues I always had trouble with was what to do at location. Now that I have completed my pilot's license, it makes sense for me to trailer my Gyro to a location and fly the Gyro around for a week or so, then move to another location. The trailer for the gyro would be a tilt, two axle, open-air trailer.

Flying the Gyro to location, my initial thought if purchasing an Oliver, is unfortunately a much less favorable option as the negative aspects pile up related to flying the Gyro from airport to airport. 

Conceptually, this gyro trailer idea puts my purchasing an Oliver on hold and instead favors initially purchasing something like a Tune M1 truck camper after a few months if trailering the gyro works out for me.  Not sure I want to have my girlfriend following me around with an Oliver trailer towed by a 2nd truck. 

• Moderators

If that's your joy, no bumper pull is a good option.

A big van , a class c, or something that can tow your gyro is much more practical. 

I'm not a fan of truck campers, but it may work for you.

Best wishes in a good decision that works for you.. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Based on this new info, and your apparent preference for a smaller camper, I'd say a truck camper or Class C. You'd have to look into tow capacities re your gyro trailer.

• Like 1

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

Just wanted to thank all of you for your thoughtful and considered responses.

I now have my tickets to Thailand and will leave July 23rd. I will be rehoming my 100 year old mother into a nursing home in Thailand. The best nursing home there will cost $1,500 per month compared to something like $6,500 here. I am paying for a caregiver to fly with my mother so that I don't have to worry about possible issues on the flight over. Also have some sleeping pills for her. 

Time to put the RV contemplations to sleep for the time being and focus on more immediate issues. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, RodgerS said:

Time to put the RV contemplations to sleep for the time being and focus on more immediate issues. 

Good luck and safe travels.

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

Safe travels to your mom, as well. Hope she does well on that long journey.  God bless her.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4