Connecting a Solar Suitcase

FLYnGATOR

A couple of questions that I couldn’t find an answer via the search topics.

1. Can I connect solar panels, which have an integrated 20 amp charge controller, directly to the batteries via the supplied alligator clips?

2. Is there a maximum wattage that can be added to my 400W onboard solar via an external port?

Thanks ! getting ready to leave on an extended western trip. I thought I’d pick up a solar suitcase just in case, as much of our time will be boondocking.

Mark

FLGAINKYNCOHPASCTNVAWVmed.jpg

Mark & Claudia

“Mr. Douglas” 2024 LE ll twin, hull # 1457, Truma AC & WH, Platinum solar, Natures Head

2024 Ford f250 Lariat Ultimate 7.3L gasser / 3.75, FX4

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked
travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Travel Trailers for Sale
New Travel Trailers for Sale
  • Moderators

@FLYnGATOR, looks like you may have accidentally locked the topic, so no replies. I unlocked it for you.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Ok more experienced people will chip in but I’ll try and answer some of your questions……

5 hours ago, FLYnGATOR said:

Can I connect solar panels, which have an integrated 20 amp charge controller

Yes

directly to the batteries via the supplied alligator clips?

Yes you can, but if you have the solar package you have the Zamp solar port on the street side, your solar suitcase “should” have a SAE connector but with the Zamp port you will need a polarity reversing adaptor. 

2. Is there a maximum wattage that can be added to my 400W onboard solar via an external port?

The wire for the Zamp port is a 10ga wire capable of 30a. OTT use a 20A fuse, you can probably go with 2 x 200W external solar suitcases, but with onboard charge controllers there could be voltage drop based on wire size and length of wire. Here’s a nice video explaining voltage drop based on charge controller location relative to the batteries. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

I do not have the Zamp Solar Port.

I ordered from the 2024 build sheet in October 2023. OTT had changed the Zamp solar port being included with the lithium platinum solar package, to a dealer installed option. Didn’t catch it until too late.

After watching the video, I still have a question. Can I connect the solar panels via the alligator clip directly to the batteries without an integrated charge controller, utilizing the onboard charge controller? Or is the onboard charge controller only able to be utilized through the zamp solar port?

Mark & Claudia

“Mr. Douglas” 2024 LE ll twin, hull # 1457, Truma AC & WH, Platinum solar, Natures Head

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, FLYnGATOR said:

I still have a question. Can I connect the solar panels via the alligator clip directly to the batteries without an integrated charge controller, utilizing the onboard charge controller? Or is the onboard charge controller only able to be utilized through the zamp solar port?

You can use the solar panel solar charge controller, cable and alligator clips that came with your suitcase solar panels.  The suitcase solar panel manual probably has a connection procedure to follow, be sure to verify.  You will have to look at the solar charge controller display on the suitcase panels to verify that it is working.

FYI, the Zamp port is a simple 2 wire SAE waterproof port.  When installed on the side of the Ollie, the wires go directly to the battery positive and negative, with a fuse on the positive wire.  The alligator clips do exactly the same thing.  It’s is just like jumping your car battery with the positive connection first and then the negative connection.  The battery connections usually happen before the solar panel connections.

Mossey

• Like 3

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

Awesome! Thanks!

I don’t know if it’ll will arrive in time to wire external solar port

Mark

Mark & Claudia

1 hour ago, FLYnGATOR said:

It will be a pain to open the battery door daily and don’t leave the trailer that way with expensive LiFePO4 batteries exposed! Common RV theft is batteries and LP tanks.

If you know the parts you need, you could order on Amazon today and get before the weekend.

You’d have to be comfortable drilling a small entry hole in your Oliver. Since you’re purchasing a suitcase with integrated SC, all you need to do is run the two wires to the pos and neg buses built into your Oliver. A couple of pics and we could advise. Just a thought.

What model suitcase solar did you buy? 

• Like 3

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

@FLYnGATOR - FYI:  Just like Mossey @mossemi noted above, the "Zamp" SAE (through the battery hatch) connector is a piece of cake to install.  There's several owners that have integrated this solar connector in various locations around (usually) the street side of the OTT to better access the battery compartment.  IMO, the battery compartment hatch is the most effective location.  It will likely take you longer to assemble all the tools and parts on your workbench necessary to complete the job than actually installing the SAE connector.  HA!  

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress....  (OBTW:  we like pix!)

Cheers!

• Like 3

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

• Moderators
18 hours ago, FLYnGATOR said:

Just a word of caution about the Zamp Solar Port, it is a known fact that the Zamp 2 wire connectors are wired in reverse so be sure to verify to positive wire with test equipment.  Do not trust the wire color.  There are gender benders available to place inline between to solar panel and the Zamp port.

Mossey

IMG_1304.thumb.jpeg.9b74d63eb9c06b081d12c6401060cfd9.jpeg

• Like 2

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

47 minutes ago, mossemi said:

Just a word of caution about the Zamp Solar Port, it is a known fact that the Zamp 2 wire connectors are wired in reverse so be sure to verify to positive wire with test equipment.  Do not trust the wire color.  There are gender benders available to place inline between to solar panel and the Zamp port.

Mossey

IMG_1304.thumb.jpeg.9b74d63eb9c06b081d12c6401060cfd9.jpeg

Does Zamp reverse polarity because of positive ground solar charging systems? I'm currently using a Renogy 20A negative ground Solar Controller with Renogy suitcase panel, but have seen Renogy positive ground solar controllers, too.

Thanks,

Edit, Found the answer on Zamp's website, question 4:

https://www.zampsolar.com/pages/faq

Edited by rideandfly
  • Thanks 1

Bill & Debbie / 2015 LE2 #75 / 2024 F-150/5.0L / North Carolina