Choosing a DC-DC Charger

When I get around to adding this mod, I want to do it right and I understand @MAX Burner and @rideadeuce and others here have gone down this path.

I want to add DC-DC capability but not overload the TV alternator. I also want to understand cable gauge minimum requirements, wanting required AWG without paying extra for overkill. Obviously a 30A charger requires less ampacity in cabling than a 50A model.

I'm thinking that 30A is enough at 60% the cost of the new Victron 50A model. What would you do? Victron doesn't even list this model on their website anymore. Amazon.com: Victron Energy Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-Volt 30 amp 360-Watt DC-DC Charger Non-Isolated (Bluetooth) : Automotive

They do show their new 50A model: Orion XS - Victron Energy

Top & Front

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Travel Trailers for Sale
New Travel Trailers for Sale

No question in my mind… except the non-isolated vs isolated aspect. I still have not had the time to replace my alternator to a high output because I am not getting near the capacity with current setup. I used 4 awg wire from TV battery to Orion XS via Anderson connectors. 

Edited by rideadeuce
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

-  Mike  Brentwood, TN  -  2018 Elite II  -  Spirit of Adventure Hull #308 -  2016 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L  Class IV hitch with 12k lb coupler, Starlink, Cradlepoint cellular modem, Victron Multiplus II 12V 3000W, Ekrano display, Orion XS 50amp, Atmos 4.4 15k AC/12K Heat pump, Nova Kool 5810 fridge, Epoch 460aH x2, 520 watts solar, Custom rear bicycle rack, Alcan Springs, Bulldog shocks, Falken H/T02 tires

IMG_4281.jpeg

Wow, I got all my answers in just 2 hours! 😂

Thank you @rideadeuce that video sold me in the first minute. I had no idea of the size difference, let alone efficiency and less heat produced.

Thanks @Steph and Dud B too, the table shows 4 AWG and the Orion XS 50 takes up to 4 AWG.

Guess when I work this, I'll have to bite the bullet for the $400 Orion XS and likely another $200 for cables and connectors.

• Moderators

@jd1923  Guess when I work this, I'll have to bite the bullet for the $400 Orion XS and likely another $200 for cables and connectors.
I placed a bid of $280 for a Orion XS couple of days ago that was listed on eBay @$328.10.  At $280 it was still over $300 to my house.  I received a counter offer of $308.10 which I declined because I'm really not ready for that job, a refrigerator repair/replacement has top priority.   
Mossey

• Love 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

35 minutes ago, mossemi said:

I received a counter offer of...

I understand, timing is key. After posts today I looked up TEMCo 4 AWG on Amazon and they had a sale, so I purchased 50 of each red/black 4 AWG at a very good price. I can afford this now.

The $400 charger will have to be for Christmas or soon after...

7 hours ago, jd1923 said:

Duplicate

Edited by rideadeuce

-  Mike  Brentwood, TN  -  2018 Elite II  -  Spirit of Adventure Hull #308 -  2016 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L  Class IV hitch with 12k lb coupler, Starlink, Cradlepoint cellular modem, Victron Multiplus II 12V 3000W, Ekrano display, Orion XS 50amp, Atmos 4.4 15k AC/12K Heat pump, Nova Kool 5810 fridge, Epoch 460aH x2, 520 watts solar, Custom rear bicycle rack, Alcan Springs, Bulldog shocks, Falken H/T02 tires

IMG_4281.jpeg

15 hours ago, jd1923 said:

purchased 50 of each red/black 4 AWG

Just FYI, my Tundra install with placing the Orion in rear bay took around 60 ft of 4 awg red/black. Had some left over but I bought 50ft foot originally and had to wait on finishing the install to place a separate order. WIndynation.com also has good wire kits priced well that come with your choice of lugs and quality heat shrink tubing. 

https://www.windynation.com/products/4-gauge-welding-battery-cable-kit-includes-5-pieces-of-3-8-5-pieces-of-5-16-tinned-copper-cable-lugs-and-3-feet-black-heat-shrink-tubing?variant=43802376143070

IMG_0242.thumb.webp.f22df065e8fd1c6b2c8f44d6f60553ee.webp

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by rideadeuce
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

IMG_4281.jpeg

17 hours ago, jd1923 said:

What would you do?

I can only state ‘what I did’! Started off with a Renogy 20A DC-DC charger and the 50’ WndyNation 4 AWG wire set @rideadeuce mentions. The larger than necessary gauge wire was installed to accommodate any future upgrade in charger size, which eventually came into play. The charger was installed in the rear dinette seat hatch, mounted vertically on the interior wall, in like manner as the Xantrex, but on the opposite side just forward of the above battery box/pantry. This position allowed for the shortest cable run to the battery bank, being four 6V Trojan T-105s at the time, and this charger was the alternative of choice since my OTT did not have solar. However in short order, I ungraded to LFPs to be able to run the a/c via the inverter, and subsequently upgraded to a Renogy 40A DC-DC to further offset draw on the battery bank when running the a/c while underway or during brief stops with the TV at idle. This practice proved to be too stressful on the aging stock alternator and thus a high output alternator was installed. I convey all of this knowing that you are fully aware, but there may be some that read this and find it helpful information. I simply choose Renogy as a cost saving measure, half that of a Victron, and have been very pleased. A Victron SmartShunt was also installed at time of the lithium upgrade and the Renogy’s output can be monitored via the VictronConnect app. 

IMG_4804.thumb.jpeg.e5d593e73c022ecbbd1dd198d6ab1b2a.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt, Hughes Autoformer, dual Lagun tables