Sign in to follow this  
ridgwayk

Fiberglass "smell"

We just found out about Oliver trailers this weekend and we are cautiously optimistic that this may be the trailer we're looking for.

We used to have a Airstream 2005 Safari Special Edition 25FB. Unfortunately we lost the camper in a flood (long story) and we've been looking to get back into a camper for the last several years. We've been looking at the new Airstreams but the prices for them have been insane.

Fast forward to this weekend, Oliver trailers look like they are constructed extremely well. I'm not looking at starting a religious war, but Airstream has been our standard and Oliver looks like they are on par or better. One of my concerns is that having been in many many campers since the flood, my wife (who's asthmatic) and I have noticed a heavy chemical smell (formaldehyde, etc). It causes my wife asthma and it starts burning our eyes if we stay in the new units for more than 15 minutes or so... We've noticed this in regular campers and several fiberglass models.

Can anyone address if the Oliver has the equivalent new camper "smell" of formaldehyde, etc?

Thanks.

Happiness is seeing Atlanta in your rearview mirror. :-)

Welcome to the forum and Oliver Trailers. No doubt you'll get lots of input on this but I will throw my two cents as well.

Many like to compare Oliver and Airstream though I'm not sure why, they seem more like apples and oranges to me. AS look really cool and the interiors are usually beautiful. Sort of a the lap of luxury version of camping. Olivers by comparison simply put are just built heavy duty, true 4 season camper, virtually leak and dent proof, high ground clearance as in you can take them anywhere or nearly so. No pop rivets to replace on a continual basis, the Olivers also have a narrower profile, i.e. 7 ft wide, vs some AS that can but up to about 9 ft, thus IMHO probably tow much better. We do not use a WDH while towing while most people do employ them with an AS. Dual pane glass on all windows and probably better insulated.

Regarding the FG smell. Unfortunately I have to agree. We picked ours up in March of this year and the first few weeks the smell was very noticeable. Since then it has dissipated but not 100% gone. While I don't think this smell is formaldehyde it is offensive and this has been the only disappointment for us. I suspect you are smelling the resins used to make the FG material. We hope the smell eventually dissipates 100%. During the summer months its hardly noticeable since the trailer is aired out with open windows while camping but during the winter or shoulder seasons where things are closed in this might be a concern for you.

I hope this helps.

I'm sensitive to smells and also have allergies/asthma. We picked up our Oliver in early June and one thing I haven't noticed is the fiberglass (or any other) smell that was prevalent when we bought our Casita. I was thinking with the Casita that maybe the strong smell was the glue used to adhere the carpet to every surface available. So, no issues for me.

On the subject of Airstreams - we were on a seven week trip out west and while at Glacier we were next to an Airstream owner who toured the Oliver and absolutely loved it! In fact, she toured it twice and was talking about how much she could get for her Airstream to put toward an Oliver.

There was also an Airstream group at Madison campground in Yellowstone; a few members toured the Oliver and stating Oliver is definitely a competitor for Airstream.

Ed and Marsha

Legacy Elite II, Hull #85

Ford F150 Lariat

Thanks for the responses!

We're trying to schedule a trip to TN to go see an Oliver in person. I suspect that visit may generate more questions.

thanks again.

Looks like we are headed to the Blue Ridge Parkway this weekend. We'd like to make make a detour in Cherokee if anyone will be at the fiberglass RV rally? Any chance anyone is up for a curious couple to take a look at an Oliver sometime Friday?

Tia.

Tia I can't help you with this question given we are on the opposite sides of the country but would like to add an update regarding your sensitivities in your initial post.

My wife and I just returned from a two week trip down in the SW where most days were in the mid to high 80's or at bare minimum well into the 70's with nary a cloud in site most of the time. I can now confidently say the fiberglass resin smell as completely vented off from our Oliver. We were not the least bit aware of it during the cooler desert nights with windows closed, or for that matter when we came back to camp mid dayish with the camper being closed up.

Hopefully you'll find this helpful in your decision making process.

Thanks for the input on the fiberglass smell and thanks for the hospitality we were shown at the Rally in Cherokee. We met some great folks who were nice enough to spend several hours showing us their Olivers.

I think we will be joining the Oliver family in the not too distant future.

Thanks folks.

Keith