Dog In The Truck

ScubaRx

• Moderator+
I should have named this thread, dog in the truck.

Voilà

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Basically it’s my dog’s decision…what can he have the most fun in.

Maddie and Baxter insisted I point out that GM trucks don't have A/C vents in the backseat. (At least 2017s didn't.) A deal breaker for our fluffy buddies. ;)

20180509_134212.thumb.jpg.94c13cbd04663158f7a6c8b52c9acfbf.jpg

Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2022 F-250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla 4x4 Lakeland,FL

Sorry, this is way off topic.... ShallowGal, how do you keep their safety harnesses from ending up in a huge tangle? I tried your setup with Zadie and Zack - within five minutes you could hear gross choking sounds because they had wrapped their leads tightly around each other several times.

I solved it by installing cargo nets in front of and behind the rear seats, eliminating the harnesses, so they can move around relatively freely but not get propelled out of that area in a crash.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Sorry, this is way off topic…. ShallowGal, how do you keep their safety harnesses from ending up in a huge tangle?

John, did you use these to connect to the harnesses? They are adjustable & limit the amount of space they can move around.

[attachment file=Screenshot_20180625-221906_Amazon Shopping.jpg]

Screenshot_20180625-221906_Amazon-Shopping.thumb.jpg.6220ac8d512aca2ba3c644a9dbd046e7.jpg

Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2022 F-250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla 4x4 Lakeland,FL

I keep it pretty simple with Mace (98 pound Boxer, short hair).

Simple one piece seat belt hooked to his collar, as posted above on Amazon.

Mace takes up a whole seat when he is sitting, looks more like a passenger from the outside of the car.

He rides in the front seat with me in the CLK.

He is remote collar trained now, as well.

Up to this point, when I'm with my wife, we take her SUV and Mace stays at home.

After we get an Oliver Elite, we will see,

but mostly my wife prefers an SUV and a hotel room.

Just to add, I ran across this product the other day, https://ruffwear.com/collections/safety/products/load-up-harness, as currently I keep Harley restricted in the "ext. cab" portion of my truck with a leash tied to the baby restraint anchor. Not the best answer in an accident, but it does keep him in his "place". Long term I must do something better. Ruffwear has a few other harnesses I may consider, that will attach to a seatbelt, and allow a little freedom. However, to much freedom and I have another "driver" trying to sit in my lap. 90 lbs. of Chessy, is not an optimum situation.

• Thanks 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderators

Our 2 Border Terriers always travel in crates, but after watching the videos we may have to rethink our choice of crates.

Randy, thanks for the link.

• Thanks 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

Our coyote, Sandy always just rode tucked in between the seats.

DSC08589.thumb.jpg.b83c58a2c1962253f1d32eba41e94a2f.jpg

• Thanks 1

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

I highly recommend remote collars. Quickly solves dog "problems."

You do need good training yourself, a good relationship with your dog, pre-training on all commands first using positive reinforcement,

and a good quality remote. See leerburg.com for training and collars.

I have about 5 hours of training on how to use the remote collars.

Those of us in particular owning a large working type dog can really benefit. Mace and I can walk outside without a leash with excellent control.

Better than any prong or slip collars. I consider it more humane as long as the owner/trainer receives proper training and uses a good quality remote appropriate/adustable to your specific dog's low levels of stem they will respond to. Note: Highest levels are used for aggressive dogs.

My remote is a Dogtra with 127 levels of stimulation. Low level is between 15 and 30, more or less. I have a nick (less than a second), bump (one to 10 seconds depending on how long I hold the button down, and vibration available.

At this time I use nick 18 for non-distraction and nick 30 for moderate to high distraction situations.

The dog learns very fast to react on voice command and avoid a stem from the remote. Under high stress situations, I can get control of my dog quickly.

The dog learns to stay in control based on voice commands without a stem required.

What happened with shock-called collars 20 years ago and happens with stem collars these days is 180 degrees different.