Sign in to follow this  
GBBest

Towing with a Ford F-150, 3.55 axle ratio

Our Ollie will not be ready til mid September and have been wondering how our F150 will do pulling a 6500-7000# trailer. It appears (on paper) that it will be ok but would like to hear from anyone with actual experiences.

We bought a 2016 F-150 when we got our LE2.  Very happy with it so far.   Tows the Ollie very well.   I would recommend the Anderson WDH, not that you really need it... a half ton pick up would tow the LE2 easily, but for the liability.  Here is an interesting article on that:  https://www.hardworkingtrucks.com/get-sued-tow-trailer-with-pickups/

Good Luck,

Scotty

• Thanks 2

Gregg & Donna Scott and Piper the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

I first towed my LEII with a 2011 F-150 ecoboost and now tow with a 2017 F-150 ecoboost.  Both trucks had the Ford tow package but the second truck has the "offroad" package.  I find that the suspension on the second truck is a tad more firm (which I prefer).

Make sure that you get the tow package (makes the brake controller use a no-brainer) and make sure that the truck has the larger gas tank (particularly if you plan to tow out West).

Finally, in addition to the liability issues that Scotty mentions, note that the hitch on the Fords has a little label on it which states that you need a weight distribution hitch when towing anything over 500 pounds hitch weight.

Bill

p.s.  I could not be happier with either of these two trucks and have never had a single problem with either one.  Both were the first Fords I've ever owned.  There is a reason why Ford sells more F-150's than any other brand.

• Thanks 1

2017 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

You haven’t provided enough info for us to judge..... https://www.holidayfordusa.com/blogs/2548/uncategorized/ford-f-150-towing-capacities-by-engine/

Ratings change yearly, so research your particular truck. They are also significantly affected by added accessories (bumpers, racks, canopies), oversized tires, external cargo, etc. If yours is borderline for a 6000 pound towed load, a rating below 8000 pounds, you will probably be fine to start out. You can always swap out the ring and pinion(s) later if you feel it is struggling on high elevation grades in summer heat.... That takes way less cash than buying a replacement truck. Other than forced induction, that is the single best mod to gain lots of power.

If your truck is tired, lacking power and payload, AND without modern towing aids, consider a newer one since they are so much better and safer at the job. Or better yet a HD model.

Please go to your personal forum page, click the gear in the upper right corner and fill out your profile, including a signature with your truck and Ollie info.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I did update my profile for reference. Somehow when I reviewed my original message I left off the 5.0 engine. I’ve read about the 3.5 turbo & how well it does but haven’t come across a rig owner with 5.0 & 3.55 axle ratio. Would like an idea how my 5.0 will perform. I have HD tow package w/6 speed transmission. From all I’ve read, my TV will be fine for most travels.

Phil

5.0 is a great engine too. It should tow fine assuming you don’t overload the payload and rear axle rating. If it needs to downshift, let it, the 5.0 can rev just fine.

• Thanks 1

2019 LE2 #529 expected Sep/Oct 2019

Yep - looks to me like you are good to go but, as Whatda says, do pay a bit of attention to how much stuff you are carrying in the F-150.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2017 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Hey Scotty, do you have a 5.0 or 3.5 turbo? If so, what’s your best and least performance experience? I’d like to know what I can expect.

Phil

I had a 3.5 EB, my buddy had a 5.0.  We both got similar numbers unladen and towing.  Neither felt like a slug.  Going up pikes peak, the EB had the advantage at elevation.  5.0 is lighter so it usually has more available payload than a comparable EB.  Advertised MPGs favor the EB, but real world they are about the same.  We were pulling race trailers of similar weight, and the biggest hit to MPG was speed as they were about 8.5' wide and also tall.  Never did we ever feel slow, but at ~65-70 mph MPG dropped below 8.  The 3.0 Powerstroke would be ideal, but I think with its weight you get like 1200lbs of payload in a nicely equipped f150.

2019 LE2 #529 expected Sep/Oct 2019

If you are set on getting the F-150, I would take a close look at getting the Heavy Duty Payload Package (HDPP).

It upgrades your frame, gives you the 3.73 rear end, LT tires (load C rated), 36 gallon gas tank, and increases payload around 800 pounds.

In 2019, it was only available with the 3.5 ecoboost or the 5.0. But not available on Lariat and up trims for some unknown reason. Could be different for 2020 models.

Payload (or lack of it) can be a problem with the 1/2 tons, depending on how you load up your truck with various accessories. You'll have to consider your personal use carefully. Personally, for my future truck, I'm letting go of the idea of a half ton for towing in favor of a 3/4 ton for many reasons. The 1/2 ton is still a good TV, though maybe getting close to the edge for the Elite2. The F-150 3.5/5.0 have plenty of power, just not nearly as stable a platform as a 3/4 ton truck. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Dave

2015 Oliver Elite, Hull 107

1998 Ford E-250, 5.4 liter