Awning weather strip

Landrover

Some time ago there was a post regarding the awning whether stripping.  Some members remove the weather stripping because of dirt, debris and water pooling on the roof.  Wondering if it was a good choice?  Thanks

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

I pulled mine off as soon as I got the trailer home. I was pissed to see that the Oliver tech that installed it used a fine blue permanent ink pen to draw a loooooong guide line ..... the mark would not come off. Other than that, no regrets at all, except for more water running down the side. 

But I rarely camp where it rains a lot, and I now have a roll of plastic rain gutter material to install over the windows and door, for when it does.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00LE0CC24/?coliid=I2LEYPDLJNZQD4&colid=305M5TXY22I7S&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

26 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

I pulled mine off as soon as I got the trailer home. I was pissed to see that the Oliver tech that installed it used a fine blue permanent ink pen to draw a loooooong guide line ..... the mark would not come off. Other than that, no regrets at all, except for more water running down the side. 

But I rarely camp where it rains a lot, and I now have a roll of plastic rain gutter material to install over the windows and door, for when it does.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00LE0CC24/?coliid=I2LEYPDLJNZQD4&colid=305M5TXY22I7S&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

John Davies

Spokane WA

Would that gutter material work if it went a few inches under the awning and the length of the awning? That way channeling the water and also still be able to clean the area.

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

5 minutes ago, Landrover said:

Would that gutter material work if it went a few inches under the awning and the length of the awning? That way channeling the water and also still be able to clean the area.

Maybe, if the rain were really light, but any heavy rain will immediately overwhelm it and cause it to overflow down the side. A bunch of individual ones over the hull openings will be able to shed the water better. And you only need to worry about that water that is above those areas, not the other sections. IMHO.......

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

That's the first thing I did when I got our new trailer home, the pine needles had all ready started to stain the fiberglass and I have to compound the stains off from the needles. When pulling off the weatherstrip you could get some separation from the weatherstrip and the double sticky tape that holds it on, you may need a solvent that releases the double sticky tape glue. Due note here that the warmer it is outside the easier the weatherstrip will come off. I personally have had no problems with the rain, so I don't intend to add another type of weatherstrip at this time. 

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, John E Davies said:

John Davies

Spokane WA

I installed this around all my windows before our fall trip north.  You can see it around the back window in this photo.

D2A35A51-B099-4F0B-9458-3C5DAD1E7592.jpeg

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

I just removed mine and ended up with what initially looked like a felt tip marker guide line, however it was actually part of the adhesive of the weatherstrip. The adhesive residue can be removed with a plastic blade putty knife or an old credit card. The plastic blade does not scratch the fiberglass. Follow with some acetone if you don't get it all with the blade. I like the results as the weather strip just collected debris.

• Thanks 1

2019 Legacy Elite #431;  2019. TV 2019 GMC Canyon Denali, crew cab, 4X4, Long bed, Duramax Diesel.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/4/2020 at 2:30 PM, Mike and Carol said:

I installed this around all my windows before our fall trip north.  You can see it around the back window in this photo.

D2A35A51-B099-4F0B-9458-3C5DAD1E7592.jpeg

Mike,

Are you happy with how this gutter strip around your windows performed? It looks great. I am thinking about ordering a roll of this for the Ollie we have on order. Lots of positive reviews. 
Thanks in advance,

David

Edited by Patriot

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Patriot said:

Mike,

Are you happy with how this gutter strip around your windows performed? It looks great. I am thinking about ordering a roll of this for the Ollie we have on order. Lots of positive reviews. 
Thanks in advance,

David

David, I’m very happy with it.  Recommend applying it it warm or hot weather.  It comes in a roll and wants to stay in a roll. I opened and laid it out for several days to start the straightening process. If I recall there are a couple of installation threads. Mike

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

I do like the gutter molding you installed, so far the rain has not bothered use with our awning strip removed. For those who would like to purchase something that takes off advises, marker slot marks, and a host of just about everything, I purchase a grease and wax remover sold from auto body paint supply stores. This is an industrial product sold to clean grease and any thing that could get on new areas to be painted, painters wipe it on and come behind it with a dry rag and and air hose, this somewhat etches to surface to be painted. It can be powerful stuff and can even etch into the paint if the paint is not factory original. It's about 100 times stronger then GooGone and when using you should test first to see if it will etch the plastic. It will not affect fiberglass and I do use it on my model train models as a cleaner before I paint my models. Yes, it will take off those felt tips pen marks, but since fiberglass is pours it will take some rubbing. I use this product a lot around the house, but I use it sparingly as its $25.00 gal. This is probably more then most what to know, but there are products out there that can do jobs that most everything sold will not, you just have to know where to look. 

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

50 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

David, I’m very happy with it.  Recommend applying it it warm or hot weather.  It comes in a roll and wants to stay in a roll. I opened and laid it out for several days to start the straightening process. If I recall there are a couple of installation threads. Mike

Thank you Mike. I have ordered a roll. 

Edited by Patriot

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

I installed the gutter molding as well.    It helps in light rains and also keeps morning dew condensation from running from the hull down the windows.   And I figure it will also help cut down on the chance of water leaks around the window frame.    Definitely install it on a hot day.  I unrolled the molding and let it sit on my deck in the hot sun for a few hours to get it straightened out before installing.   Clean and prep the Oliver fiberglass surface with iso-propyl alcohol first (here at work we refer to iso-propyl alcohol as IPA in a lot of our documentation, and it causes confusion with the beer drinkers 🙂). 

As you can see from the pictures, I ran mine farther down both sides of the windows since I had heard from some owners of problems with the molding lifting loose around the corner bend if it was cut too short on the sides.  I needed 4 of the 10' rolls to do it this way though on all the windows.    And yes, I did clean, polish and wax the Ollie after this photo to get rid of those ugly black streaks under the windows that always seem to show up on our beautiful white trailers.   

And if you do order the molding, make sure you get the "Polar White" color to match the Ollie white.  I ordered mine from Amazon.

41FwIiOCnpL._AA210_.jpgEsssentials UW01004 Polar White 10' EZE RV Gutter

IMG_4721.JPG

IMG_4723.JPG

Edited by FrankC
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators

I'm one of the ones that suggested extending the EZ Gutter down the sides of the windows.  There is noting wrong with what FrankC did but probably half way down the sides would more than do the trick.  On the other hand - if any of the gutter lifts, the easy fix is to use a product called "E-6000"to re-stick it.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

4 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

I'm one of the ones that suggested extending the EZ Gutter down the sides of the windows.  There is noting wrong with what FrankC did but probably half way down the sides would more than do the trick.  On the other hand - if any of the gutter lifts, the easy fix is to use a product called "E-6000"to re-stick it.

Bill

My OCD compelled me to run the molding all the way down to the tangent point of the lower curve of the frame.  🙂 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1