Sign in to follow this  
Mcb

Winterizing for a Maine winter.

I’m hoping some of my Oliver owning “ neighbors” will weigh in on this.. As ridiculous as it seems, it being the end of July and really hot, I find myself wondering if there are any extra precautions or advice when it comes to winterizing for a Maine winter beyond the process recommended by Oliver.. 

of course the best precaution against having a freezing issue would be traveling where it’s warm during the winter..... 

thanks for any input!

Posted (edited)

Hi "Neighbor"

I have found it best to have at least 6 gallons of RV antifreeze on hand. During the season they can run out, or the price rises. Off season they don't carry it. I have found I use about 3 gallons every time. I thought that was a lot for such a small system, but the hand pump for the inlets used quite a bit. Also when sometimes I might want to head for warmer climes in early Spring (or Mudseason), I carry a couple of gallons in the closet. We use it to 'flush' with so that we don't have to de-winterize until south of the Mason/Dixion Line. We also blow out the lines twice before adding the antifreeze, so get an air valve/ hose fitting adapter. (I assume you have some type of air compressor and a socket to remove water heater drain if you are getting the standard water heater).Have been doing this for the last 20 years this way and never have had a problem. When working at a CG we used to do 40 some units. It may take an extra 15 to 20 minutes to do it this way, but that is less time than to replace a toilet valve or a piece of plumbing. Stop by if you want to talk about it, or just want to revisit an Oliver...

Edited by Mainiac
Fingers can't spell
  • Like 1

Thanks Mainiac,

looks like pretty standard stuff.. blowing out the lines is part of my routine as well, dealing with the water heater etc.. I don’t take any chances..

hadn’t thought about having anti freeze on hand while traveling to flush with though.. Good idea!

i noticed in the owners manual for the toilet that they recommend disconnecting the waterline from the water valve.. ever do that? 
Thanks for the offer of coming for a visit and to check out your Oliver.. May take you up on that.. I’m looking for some floor dimensions, Deb is a rug hooker and wants to get started on one for the area between the beds, as far forward as dinette or so..

Thanks again!

• Like 1

Will have to look and see about disconnecting that valve as that little piece is about $60, and quite vunerable. Will have to put a sticky note somewhere to remember to hook back up before "wakeup".

The floor is almost a perfect 24" ( if I remember right). Deb is welcome to measure for length (and width). We also have one between the door and the dinnette. Helps big time when coming in inc!ement weather.

Sandi is a quilter, so I know the pain..lol.

We are not that far away, at least as the crow flies. Welcome to check it out.