Victron Smart Shunt - alternative to the BMV-712

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

I was thumbing through Victron's products and ran across their new(ish?) Smart Shunt, which I hadn't seen before.  It looks like a great alternative to their BMV-712 battery monitor, which has become so popular with Ollie owners.  With the Smart Shunt, there is no external display to worry about - the bluetooth module is built in and it communicates directly with the Victron Connect app on your phone.  As a bonus, it appears to be about $50 cheaper.  

fweratwerat_3.jpg.65e35a50dca52cde5f016e659884a753.jpg

Edited by Overland
  • Like 3

Snowball • 256 • 2018 Ford Raptor

Overland,

Good eye...I was also looking at this as it requires no wiring to a display/controller.

At present I'm trying to figure out where I would mount this in the battery box.  I would need enough cable length to pull the batteries out of the compartment.   I'm setup now with 4 AGM's.  If I do go forward with this I'll post.

• Like 1

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2018 F150 EcoBoost, King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
GVWR 7,000#, Payload Sticker 1557#, Truck GCWR=18,100# ,Tow capacity: 12,200#

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

I'd recommend placing the shunt outside of your battery box, since all the negative leads need to attach to it.  If you put it in the box, then you've got to deal with all those wires, whereas if you find a spot outside the box, then you can simplify your battery box wiring with only a single negative cable coming in from the shunt.

Is your avatar a new logo for your trailer?

Edited by Overland
  • Like 2

Snowball • 256 • 2018 Ford Raptor

• 2 weeks later...

I agree about installing it in the cabin. Drag all those pesky, disorderly small ground cables out of the box and put everything together at a bus, then attach your Smart Shunt nearby. Run one big cable back to your battery negative post. If you have an inverter, you must use an appropriate gauge for the high current.

OTH if you are going to do that, you might as well do it for all those positive wires too. It makes the battery area way better.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags.

• 2 weeks later...

I am making some modifications in my Victron smart battery shunt.  I originally installed it inline just before the Xantrex inverter, but because the other wiring returns to the negative post of the battery on the side mount, I wasn’t seeing the current usage and missing the complete Victron picture.  I needed a bus bar to connect to the main ground bar to see this draw.  I purchased a Blue Sea 4 port bus bar and installed on PVC that I epoxied to the inside of the pantry fiberglass wall in the basement.  I ran two additional 1/0 gauge battery cables with the appropriate lugs, one from the bus bar to the load side of the shunt and the other from the bus bar to the negative side of the inverter.  The battery side of the shunt is connected to the 1/0 cable that originally connected to the negative of the  Xantrex.  I have now ordered the cable with lugs to connect the main ground bar to the new bus bar and will connect it to the chassis ground after removing the cable that connects to the side mount of the battery.   I will leave the original cable in place, disconnected, labeled and secured   I should see all flow at that point   I will attach some pictures after the install is completed  

l

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

David Caswell and Paula Saltmarsh

Hull 509 "The Swallow"