Jump to content

"It was the best..."


Recommended Posts

Hi everyone! I used part of that famous opening line from a guy who had an Oliver as my Intro title--lol. Wasn't going to used the Stones...I am a female newbie who has been a researcher for decades and remains so in retirement. Been pouring over information from many sources (net sites, u-tube, talking to sales people of all stripes, dialogues on forums, etc. After several months of this, carefully taking notes, using spreadsheets, and compiling files, I wholeheartedly believe the LE is the one for me, for all the reasons cited in so many posts here (and elsewhere). 

There is a lot of experience and knowledge on this forum I've started to glean. Started diving in yesterday when I joined here and posted a classified asking if anyone had a used LE for sale. As John Davies replied to me, the cost of one is possibly going to be not far from a new one, so there's that. I am currently trying to reach Oliver Sales to discuss availability, price, timing, options, etc. I do not leave near the factory and all of this will take a great deal of planning. In my favor, I am among the most organized people on earth and in no rush, but want to get started. 

Right now, given the fact that many in our country have been cooped up (including me) for the last 16 months, there is, quite understandably, rampant "cabin fever." People have been snatching up all sorts of RVs of every make, model, price and design to travel around. I know CGs and boondock areas are jammed. My timing here is not the best. Then there's the chip and material shortage affecting nearly everything. Timing rears again. But, she who hesitates is lost---lol. 

So I join the fray. Thank you for letting me in to this esteemed group!

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome to the group! We are new Oliver owners as of February. We owned a SOB 42' 5th wheel that we downsized from. The Oliver is so much better constructed. It is small but efficient. There is a place for everything. The forum is a wealth of knowledge with the owners ready to share information and offer help. The owner's section is also full of information with videos and more.

Cindy

  • Like 1

Charlie & Cindy / Cleburne, TX / 2021 Elite II Hull #743 / 2013 Ford F250 Diesel 4WD Supercab

ALLATNTXmed.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

Welcome, again!  Being a researcher you should have a lot to offer everyone here.  Ask questions now and then provide answers later!  We always say that our Oliver has everything that we need and nothing that we don’t.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | Elite II #135 | Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Time2Go! said:

Welcome to the group! We are new Oliver owners as of February. We owned a SOB 42' 5th wheel that we downsized from. The Oliver is so much better constructed. It is small but efficient. There is a place for everything. The forum is a wealth of knowledge with the owners ready to share information and offer help. The owner's section is also full of information with videos and more.

Cindy

Hi Cindy! Thank you for your welcome and information. I am exploring and will be asking many questions. Thank you again!

Pennie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

Welcome, again!  Being a researcher you should have a lot to offer everyone here.  Ask questions now and then provide answers later!  We always say that our Oliver has everything that we need and nothing that we don’t.  Mike

Hi Mike and Carol! Really like your welcome and post. I just spent the past two hours talking to Saleswoman Anita at Oliver. She was marvelous!!! I got so much valuable information from her but what made our conversation so wonderful was her obviously caring personality and the love for her job and the company and it's products and service. During the past two months I've talked to a lot of people in her position in other companies who barely gave a d**n, no less offered me a bare skeleton of time or info. Anita knew from the get-go she didn't need to "sell" me on Oliver. It was obvious that I wanted one. We shared stories that ranged all over the map along with giving me pointers on the website about the videos and University. Thank you Anita!!! 

It's just a matter of time.

Fun facts: I own a 2018 Chevy Colorado Redline V6, 4x4 with their factory installed towing package. So far, I haven't seen my towing truck mentioned in various posts here but it is rated at a 7,000# towing capacity (which I don't want to go near). 

Curb weight: 4,340#s

GVWR: 6,200#s

GAWR: 6,700#s

GCWR: 12,000#s

Tongue Weight: 500#s

All of this puts me at the LE rather than the LEII as I can't afford two new vehicles and I really like my truck. It only has 16,500 miles on it mostly due to Covid and sheltering in place for the last 16 months. I know, I could sell/trade it in a heartbeat these days but I really do like the way it handles. 

As a sprightly late 60's woman, I'm so ready for this. 

Thank you again Mike, Carol, John, Seadog, and Cindy!

Pennie

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

Pennie, 

We towed with my 2005 Chevy Silverado for awhile, including a couple trips to the Midwest, and parts of Canada. Different engine, of course, but fairly similar size and specs. I  still drive that truck as my daily driver.

We only bought the ram for a couple reasons-- we needed the 4 x 4 for our roads at our camping property in North Carolina,  and we wanted seating for at least three and the dog. Oh, and there was a huge sale going on...

We still use my Silverado for shorter trips on paved roads, and for backing the Oliver into its parking spot, and towing the little powerboat.

The Elite is a really nice size for one person, or, a couple like us who spend much of our time outside.  It has everything we need, in a compact size. It tows great with either of our trucks.

I think there is someone here towing an Elite with a Colorado. I'll see if I  can find the post for you. Most of the Colorado discussions are about Elite II, which is much heavier. 

 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

Pennie, 

We towed with my 2005 Chevy Silverado for awhile, including a couple trips to the Midwest, and parts of Canada. Different engine, of course, but fairly similar size and specs. I  still drive that truck as my daily driver.

We only bought the ram for a couple reasons-- we needed the 4 x 4 for our roads at our camping property in North Carolina,  and we wanted seating for at least three and the dog. Oh, and there was a huge sale going on...

We still use my Silverado for shorter trips on paved roads, and for backing the Oliver into its parking spot, and towing the little powerboat.

The Elite is a really nice size for one person, or, a couple like us who spend much of our time outside.  It has everything we need, in a compact size. It tows great with either of our trucks.

I think there is someone here towing an Elite with a Colorado. I'll see if I  can find the post for you. Most of the Colorado discussions are about Elite II, which is much heavier. 

 

Thanks again Seadawg! It is only me, and I love my truck and will, the Elite. I don't think I'll encounter towing problems but will have the usual questions once I get closer to liftoff. Never towed anything, but it's never too late to start and I will be living in it, four seasons, traveling all over the country. 

Pennie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome.

If you decide to buy new or if you have a long hunt for used, you can do some field research by renting from one of the multiple RV rental platforms that are now brokering rentals. You likely won't find an Oliver to rent but you'll gain experience with the same basic RV systems and with your own camping tactics. And it may help a bit with the waiting...

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jim_Oker said:

Welcome.

If you decide to buy new or if you have a long hunt for used, you can do some field research by renting from one of the multiple RV rental platforms that are now brokering rentals. You likely won't find an Oliver to rent but you'll gain experience with the same basic RV systems and with your own camping tactics. And it may help a bit with the waiting...

Thank you Jim. Good ideas. "The waiting is the hardest part..." 😀

I could rent one but I might be saving myself for Ollie... 😀

Somethings to think about. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, poliver said:

I could rent one but I might be saving myself for Ollie... 😀

Yeah, though no need to be waiting for your  real life to begin! 

Nice Tom Petty reference!

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Jim_Oker said:

Yeah, though no need to be waiting for your  real life to begin! 

Nice Tom Petty reference!

Love Petty and miss him so much!!! Thanks for noticing. 

No one around here rents an Ollie--shocking! I'm working on arrangements with Anita in Ollie sales. Hoping I can move up on the wait list. Hope springs eternal! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
1 hour ago, poliver said:

I'm working on arrangements with Anita in Ollie sales. Hoping I can move up on the wait list. Hope springs eternal! 

While there are no "bad" sales people at Oliver - if anyone can help you it is Anita.

Good luck!

  • Like 1

2017 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

While there are no "bad" sales people at Oliver - if anyone can help you it is Anita.

Good luck!

Thank you topgun2. Anita is simply wonderful. Thanks again. I'm really appreciating this community here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Time2Go! said:

Welcome to the group! We are new Oliver owners as of February. We owned a SOB 42' 5th wheel that we downsized from. The Oliver is so much better constructed. It is small but efficient. There is a place for everything. The forum is a wealth of knowledge with the owners ready to share information and offer help. The owner's section is also full of information with videos and more.

Cindy

Thank you Cindy! I'm learning a lot with each passing hour. Watching videos and reading. Thanks for the warm welcome--I look forward to joining the group as an owner. 

Pennie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Jim and Frances said:

Welcome!  We too are new and this forum and the other publications from the Oliver site are outstanding! 

Thank you Jim and Frances. This is a great group and forum. I'm soaking it all in. 

Pennie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You didn't mention you had seen an Oliver Elite? Have you been "invited" to visit one? That really is the one item that might "seal the deal". Anita should be able to set you up a visit to one somewhere reasonably close. You want to be sure you will be comfortable in the unit you choose. Do you have the 2022 brochure? They are out. We just had some delivered.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mainiac said:

You didn't mention you had seen an Oliver Elite? Have you been "invited" to visit one? That really is the one item that might "seal the deal". Anita should be able to set you up a visit to one somewhere reasonably close. You want to be sure you will be comfortable in the unit you choose. Do you have the 2022 brochure? They are out. We just had some delivered.

 

Hi Mainiac! Thanks for your suggestions. I've seen a lot of LE's online--along with many, many others that didn't meet my standards. I know the real thing when it comes along--lol...and the LE is it. Anita is trying to set up a local visit and she sent me the brochures and price lists earlier this morning after we initially talked. Thanks again. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forum, and glad you are doing your research.  If you’ve never done any camping/RVing, or even towed anything before, and you’re planning on just jumping right into full time 4 season living in a trailer, you really should consider trying a rental first to understand the reality of living in and maintaining a travel trailer.  This forum just had a very interesting saga with a member that had never done any RVing before and had the same dream of living full time on the open road with their dog in their brand new Oliver Elite I, and discovered the reality was very different than the dream.  They sold the Elite 1 after their very first trip.  It made for very entertaining posts on this forum.  

  • Like 1

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #461

Tow Vehicles:

Primary - 2019 Ford F-250

Backup - 2019 Nissan Armada 

 

ALARCODEINKSKYMONMNYNCOHOKPATNTXUTVAWVxlg.jpg.bc136094bef415679018eafd8d4046ad.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We had to travel from Maine to New Hampshire to see ours, back in 2016. We knew there might be a couple in the state in the years since. We started to gather a list and it turned out to be in the neighborhood of 18. Used ones are hard to find, and if you find one the word is to move quick. One of our folks bought one in Pennsylvania, the other traveled to Minnesota. We started gathering the list to see if there was any interest in a Meet & Greet. A time and place was chosen and 10 signed up in the first week, I am sure more since. The point is, there is some pent up demand, especially for a quality product. The nice thing about a smaller unit, it will usually fit in the last camping spot, that the 45' SOB (some other brand) didn't have a chance in filling.

Welcome aboard...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, FrankC said:

Welcome to the forum, and glad you are doing your research.  If you’ve never done any RVing, or even towing anything before, and you’re planning on just jumping into full time 4 season living, you really should consider trying a rental first to understand the reality of living in and maintaining a travel trailer.  This forum just had a very interesting saga with a member that had the same dream of living full time on the open road with their dog in their brand new Oliver Elite I, and discovered the reality was very different.  They sold the Elite 1 after their very first trip.  It made for very entertaining posts on this forum.  

Thank you FrankC! A long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away (when I was much, much younger), I was a nomad on the road. While I didn't live in a travel trailer, I was quite comfortable traveling around. I haven't done that in decades and sorely miss it. 

Your suggestion is well-taken. All of this time, effort, money and hope could amount to one large fail. I get that, like the example you referred to. Then again, I've lived in so many different realities in my life, I'm used to changes. 

Renting in advance and trying out the changes to sticks and bricks would be useful. I will ruminate on all of this and do appreciate your time, attention and thoughts. 

Thanks again,

Pennie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Mainiac said:

We had to travel from Maine to New Hampshire to see ours, back in 2016. We knew there might be a couple in the state in the years since. We started to gather a list and it turned out to be in the neighborhood of 18. Used ones are hard to find, and if you find one the word is to move quick. One of our folks bought one in Pennsylvania, the other traveled to Minnesota. We started gathering the list to see if there was any interest in a Meet & Greet. A time and place was chosen and 10 signed up in the first week, I am sure more since. The point is, there is some pent up demand, especially for a quality product. The nice thing about a smaller unit, it will usually fit in the last camping spot, that the 45' SOB (some other brand) didn't have a chance in filling.

Welcome aboard...

Thanks Mainiac!  Do I ever understand this pent-up demand--I'm very much a part. I look forward to fitting in that lonely last spot. 😀

Thanks for the welcome!

Pennie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, poliver said:

Will do. Thanks!!!

Hi Mainiac,

This was a quote on the "Ladies on the Fly" website:

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover” … Mark Twain

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...