Composting Toilet & Black Water Tank

The black tank and plumbing, including the toilet flush and black tank flush lines, are always installed on the production line, even if they are not needed. A future owner might want to install a regular toilet. Some owners take out the unused parts, but the factory will not do that. There have been many threads here about repurposing those parts…. So far nobody has announced that they turned that empty 18 gallon tank into either grey or fresh water storage.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags.

16 hours ago, John E Davies said:

The black tank and plumbing, including the toilet flush and black tank flush lines, are always installed on the production line, even if they are not needed. A future owner might want to install a regular toilet. Some owners take out the unused parts, but the factory will not do that. There have been many threads here about repurposing those parts…. So far nobody has announced that they turned that empty 18 gallon tank into either grey or fresh water storage.

John Davies

Spokane WA

The black tank is only a 15 gallon tank.  I opened a ticket and was told it's a "misprint" in the manual.  Maybe the older Ollies have an 18 gallon tank, but I doubt it based on the response I got.

I have been using the 15 gallon black tank as a temporary storage for grey water.  It's a manual process of pumping 15 gallons of grey water from the outlet in the back using a pump to push the water into the black tank with the flush port.  It's working great so far and has saved us from having to carry around one of those "totes" on wheels I see other campers towing / dragging to the dump stations.  There's a post about my solution somewhere on this forum.  Sometimes I can't even use search to find my own posts though.  😉 

John and Anita

2020 Oliver Elite II, Hull 688

Tow Vehicle:  2006 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab.  6.6L Duramax

States Visited Map

• Moderators

NCeagle - 

One "easy" way to find all of your posts is to click on your avatar.  When your page opens, look for a white box on the right side of the screen that says "See My Activity" and click on it.

Bill

• Like 1

2017 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Bucket Traveler, I was told that RVIA requires a black tank to be installed even if you have a composting toilet.  I did not verify this.  

3 hours ago, trekhard said:

John how do you get the "grey" water that's in the black tank (now storage) back out then?  Say you wanted to use that for a shower?  

Hi trekhard, I'd never consider reuse of the grey water in that manner.  I simply keep the grey water in the black tank until the whole trailer is at the dump station and then you can open both valves (grey and black) to empty everything.  Putting 15 gallons of grey water in the black tank gives us about 2 extra days without having to empty the tanks (which is a lot of work if your in the middle of your stay).  Hope this makes sense.

John and Anita

2020 Oliver Elite II, Hull 688

Tow Vehicle:  2006 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab.  6.6L Duramax

States Visited Map