LE l Tire Pressures

LongStride

Hello

I have an Elite l with the Cooper 235/65R16C tires.  I can't find loading charts for them.  Just info with max. air pressure (80).  I lowered my pressure to 61 psi figuring that around 60 would be a good target point as we never reach the max. GVWR.

Do any other Elite owners out there run the Coopers at similar pressures?  I would appreciate it if you would share your thoughts.

Mike

Mike and Yasuko

2021 Legacy Elite Hull #820 

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/2363-how-to-tire-pressure-placard/

The best thing is to measure your axle weight on a truck scale and go from that chart. 60 should be pretty close for an LE1. Keep an eye on tire temp, if it gets too warm that is a big indicator that the pressure is low.

Do you have a TPMS? It is a critical safety device IMHO, especially with a single axle. Mine has screw on sensors, and when getting ready to leave in the morning I “wake up” each one with a couple of raps from my finger so they transmit today’s value, not the one from when I arrived, in case one picked up a nail and was quietly deflating overnight. That is better than having it alert you a mile down a busy highway… they take a while to update, since they just send out a brief radio signal occasionally, perhaps as long as a couple of minutes after waking.

https://www.underhoodservice.com/tpms-radio-frequency-theory-and-operation/

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Mike, We have a 2017 LE1 and I have been running the OEM Michelins at 60 psig with TPMS temp readings that are very acceptable.  The trailer handles very well and evidently smoothly enough where there is no mess inside to greet us when we enter after a long drive.  Also, I did install the Dexter shackle kit which is a major improvement and now STD equipment I believe..

John is correct about the TPMS being a critical safety device and I second his recommendation.

Terry

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1
Legacy Elite I

ALCTDEFLGAKYMEMDMANHNJNYNCPARISCTNVTVAWV

What about ti8re pressure for E2s?  I have the stock tires which are Cooper Discover HT3s, LT 225 75R16.  I looked on line and at the card both stating max PSI is 80lbs which is what it was when picked up from Oliver.  The on line chart suggested PSI by weight which seemed to infer that these tires should be inflated to 40psi if used on a dual axle with each tire carrying 1500lbs which is both accurate and unnecessarily complicated.  I had found that the 80lbs inflation ride was stiff and bouncy so had already decreased to 60lbs which seemed to track better and was less stiff.  The recommended 40psi seems too low to me but I may give it a go as an experiment.  Any of you folks have thoughts on this?

• Thanks 1

SOLD:  2021 Elite 2, Twin Bed, Lithium & Solar, 3000W Inverter

SOLD:  2022 Ford F150, 3.5L V6 EcoBoost, 4x4 Supercab, Trailer Tow Package

1 hour ago, GAP said:

What about ti8re pressure for E2s?  I have the stock tires which are Cooper Discover HT3s, LT 225 75R16.  I looked on line and at the card both stating max PSI is 80lbs which is what it was when picked up from Oliver.  The on line chart suggested PSI by weight which seemed to infer that these tires should be inflated to 40psi if used on a dual axle with each tire carrying 1500lbs which is both accurate and unnecessarily complicated.  I had found that the 80lbs inflation ride was stiff and bouncy so had already decreased to 60lbs which seemed to track better and was less stiff.  The recommended 40psi seems too low to me but I may give it a go as an experiment.  Any of you folks have thoughts on this?

Read that thread I linked to, in the post above. I am running 42 psi and that works fine. A harder tire will tow easier, it has less rolling resistance, and you may notice a decrease in mpgs if you lower the pressure from 60 to 40-ish. One way to look at it is by percentages. A drop from 80 to 40 is enormous, a 50% change. Obviously it will have a huge impact on how stiff the trailer rides. When you are close to the ideal range according to the tire manufacturer's load chart, you must do those adjustments much more cautiously. A change from 42 to 40 is still a 5% difference.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, GAP said:

I just switched to the same tires earlier this year.  I’ve been at 50 psi on our E2 for the last few trips.  I watch my TPMS for temps and I haven’t noticed any difference between 50 psi and when I used 65 psi then 60 psi.  I think I’ll stick with 50 for a while.  Mike

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

Watch your TPMS and as had been said over and over - you really should have one.

Any increase in tire temperature much more than 10 degrees above ambient temperature tends to indicate that your tire pressure is too low.  Of course, one must allow for a number of variables such as load, amount of sun directly (or not) on the tires, type of road surface (black new asphalt will be hotter than "white" concrete), average speed, etc.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Thanks to all of you for your advice and insight.  

We are leaving this morning for a trip to a state park about 190 mi. away.  I will stop now and then to monitor tire pressure.  It is not a long journey, but probably enough to give me an indication one way or the other if 60 psi is enough.  

As soon as we return from our little excursion I will be shopping for a TPMS based on the advice you folks have shared with me.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

Mike and Yasuko

2021 Legacy Elite Hull #820 

In my last conversation with Oliver Service about a broken hold-down band for the heater tank, they suggested no more than 60psi to reduce vibration issues due to a hard ride.

I'm somewhere around 55-60 at this point.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

2020 Legacy Elite II Hull 625 - 2013 Lexus LX 570

San Antonio/Boerne - Texas Hill Country

As most of the trailers received the pressures are serviced to 80 PSI from the factory, as they were on my 2021 LE II. After 9K on the trailer since July I have notice the ride is pounding.

So I contacted Cooper (standard install on Hull #848) for the Cooper Discoverer HT3 LT225/75R16 M+5, Trailer loaded weight is 5700#

and I Quote from Cooper Tire

"We rounded up to 6000 lbs for total weight for the trailer. 2 axles with 4 tires under the trailer. At 35 psi cold your would have 1500 lbs cold carrying capacity x 4 tires gives you 6000 lbs total carrying capacity. Yes at 80 psi you have 2680 in each tire or 10720 lbs at 40 psi 1650 x4=6600"

I will be down pressurizing my tires to 40 PSI and monitored with a TPMS system.

Pat

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Pat (Swamp) from Joliet IL,  2021 Oliver LE II Hull "848" (19K miles to date) , 2020 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi 3:92 rear end P75 Trans 

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there while looking for a place to happen. Making stops along the way"

Map2-22june.jpg

Pat, keep in mind about 10% of your total weight is carried by the hitch, not the trailer tires.

I just do not understand why, after so many years of complaints, Oliver continues to deliver these trailers with rock hard tires! And to the best of my knowledge they still do not inform new owners at delivery...This is very poor customer relations. Has the Owners Manual even been updated?

John Davie

Just now, John E Davies said:

And to the best of my knowledge they still do not inform new owners at delivery

Some very new owners have mentioned out on the Oliver Owners Facebook group that someone in Service has suggested lower PSI to them - depending on who in Service the advice seems to have ranged from 55 to 65 for an LE2 based at least on the comments from folks on FB. They are presumably factoring in a decent safety margin for slow leak situations where an owner may not be running a TMPS on the trailer tires. They are probably finally clueing in to the fact that this will yield less calls about things like leaks from pulled apart plumbing fittings, electrical connections coming apart, and inverter mounts breaking off the wall. 

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

1 hour ago, John E Davies said:

This is very poor customer relations. 

as of late I have seen a steady decline on responses from Oliver service and sales on matters of defects with my LE II. It feels a little disappointing in the lack of enthusiasm in my needs. I hope others are not experiencing this too, and its just me LOL.

I would hate to see a we sold it now its yours deal with kind of thing

My List:

Inverter not programmed right at the factory I reprogramed

Exterior was not buffed correctly- swirls galore 

Cracked brass check valve at the water heater (too much "blue" teflon tape IMO) I fixed Oliver to reimburse

Tire Pressures too high I adjusted

Hope it does not continue, albeit, all the above are minor issues and it may be growing pains, the brand is still the best of the best

Pat

Pat

Pat (Swamp) from Joliet IL,  2021 Oliver LE II Hull "848" (19K miles to date) , 2020 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi 3:92 rear end P75 Trans 

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there while looking for a place to happen. Making stops along the way"

Map2-22june.jpg

• 1 month later...

Jason's new 2021 delivery walk-through video recommends that tire pressure be maintained at 55 PSI.  I expect that's where they are now setting the pressure on new deliveries.

Ralph Pond

• Like 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg