1000cc Generator for battery backup

Most generator discussions focus on 2000cc units that allow for soft-start of the AC.  I've got a very old, but like new-in-box, Yamaha EF1000cc unit that I've thought about taking as a backup for charging the batteries if the weather is marginal for a large number of days.

I expect I'll be in Yellowstone with no AC for 7-14 days, with a chance that days before and after will be boon-docking also.

If I just want to be able to top off the batteries, any downside to just using the small 1000cc generator? (Solar Pack with four wet cell batteries)

I'll be traveling with a couple of friends in their 23' Airstream. They have a 2000cc dual-gas generator, but if we don't need AC, the smaller generator has more appeal.

Thoughts?

2020 Legacy Elite II Hull 625 - 2013 Lexus LX 570

San Antonio/Boerne - Texas Hill Country

• Moderators

Ralph - 

Be aware that some of Yellowstone National Park forbids the use of generators.

Having said this - also be aware of Yellowstone's altitude.  While it can be fairly warm during the daylight hours there, I've never had a night where the temps didn't go into the 40's or below.  The same can be said for much of the nearby surrounding area.

Seadawg has a fair amount of experience with a small generator and I believe that she and her husband have had no issues with using it to top off their batteries over the years.

Bill

Edited by topgun2
corrected information

2017 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I disagree, most allow it for limited hours. Seven campgrounds with "Gn" in the table allow them, but there is a 60dB limit, so no noisy box store units. If yours is quiet enough, you should be fine with the Yamaha 1000. Just make sure all your other 120 volt AC breakers are open, just leave the converter operating. I would check to make sure it works before leaving home.... 😉

1689557287_ScreenShot2021-11-25at5_41_16PM.thumb.png.335babe7297aa034341b782e778887b0.png

Always check right before you get there, to make sure your info is current. https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel.

2 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Ralph - 

Be aware that most (if not all) of Yellowstone National Park forbids the use of generators.

Having said this - also be aware of Yellowstone's altitude.  While it can be fairly warm during the daylight hours there, I've never had a night where the temps didn't go into the 40's or below.  The same can be said for much of the nearby surrounding area.

Seadawg has a fair amount of experience with a small generator and I believe that she and her husband have had no issues with using it to top off their batteries over the years.

Bill

Thanks, I stayed at Mammoth three years ago in May, in my Casita.  This was right after a late season snow storm that delayed arrival by a day from the Grand Tetons.  No furnace in the Casita, but beat being in a tent.  As noted above, Mammoth does allow day use of generators,  <=60 DBs.  

• Like 1

Good morning:),

We oick up our new Ollie on 01/13/22 and I would like to have the generator ready to go in advance.  I'm hoping to possibly take advantage of a Cyber Monday sale.

We purchased the Elite II with the "Pro" solar system (390AH and 3000W inverter).  Honestly I don't yet even know what that means - so I'm asking the experts:) that do this all the time.  Which generator should I purchase to be able to properly care for the batteries.  We hope to do cold weather camping and will no doubt have many cloudy days.

Thanks so much for your input.  Also - if you think we made a mistake not getting the larger battery system I might be able to change it.  It was just very expensive as you all know.

Best to you all!

Jim

Useful thread...

4 hours ago, Jim Y said:

Good morning:),

We oick up our new Ollie on 01/13/22 and I would like to have the generator ready to go in advance.  I'm hoping to possibly take advantage of a Cyber Monday sale.

We purchased the Elite II with the "Pro" solar system (390AH and 3000W inverter).  Honestly I don't yet even know what that means - so I'm asking the experts:) that do this all the time.  Which generator should I purchase to be able to properly care for the batteries.  We hope to do cold weather camping and will no doubt have many cloudy days.

Thanks so much for your input.  Also - if you think we made a mistake not getting the larger battery system I might be able to change it.  It was just very expensive as you all know.

Best to you all!

Jim

A bit of trivia... I just weighed my like new, over 15 year old, 1000cc Yamaha generator and it was 50+ lbs.  Guess I can buy a new Honda 2200 and not feel bad about the weight at 47 lbs.  😉

They really cut the weight in the last 20 years, with 1000cc units now weighing in at 30 lbs.  Guessing steel vs aluminum castings.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1