Wanting to purchase a nice Orbital buffer for use on the Ollie gelcoat.

18 hours ago, jd1923 said:

I already had this feeling, but you have all thoroughly convinced me that there is no way in the world I will ever polish our Oliver!

I find the polishing/waxing ordeal therapeutic, for both me and the Oliver!

• Like 3

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
4 minutes ago, Ronbrink said:

Same here - but D calls it a "sickness"....

• Love 1
  • Haha 3

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

45 minutes ago, Ronbrink said:

Nothing like taking great care of our home away from home. 👍🏻 I find a polished Ollie is much easier to maintain and wash. All good!!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

Really like using the orbital buffer on Ollie and our other vehicles. Never had time to do a good detailing job on our vehicles, until buying the buffer.  Just finished waxing Ollie’s tow vehicle yesterday. I’m still in the weekend warrior category, but slowly learning about detailing. 🙂

• Like 4

2015 LE2

5 hours ago, Ronbrink said:

I get it, but I don't have time for waxing, nor the patience for therapeutics! 🤣

Some of you may feel different if you were still working, had 3 trucks, 2 cars, 2 motorcycles, 3 dirt vehicles, a 4000+ SF home on 3/4 acre and 8 gas-powered yard tools to maintain. Spring has sprung and in a couple weeks we will be knee-high in grasses and weeds to whack. I've also been rebuilding our Sundance spa lately, new wet heads on the 3 pumps, new control panel and FLO switch, new skirting is next. There is always something else needed here, so I cannot see hours buffing is utilizing my core competencies. Before it gets too hot this year, I need to pressure-wash and stain two levels of redwood decking, should have done that last year! I may have to also contract this work, if we can afford to.

I'll be getting back to all this work soon, after we leave Sunday, to get away for 3 weeks in the Oliver! What's nice about the Oliver is after some prep work it is ready for camping. Last time out, I was working fulltime 'til the day we left. I had plugged in the day before, so Chris could fill the fridge and I merely packed some clothes the night before. Next morning, I filled water in trailer and TV since the lows were in the 20s, got the TV loaded up with gear stored in our adjacent shed, and hitched up the Oliver. In under 2 hours, we were on our way! I think we can get this down to an hour, nice!

Pickleball is our therapeutic, and so much more fun than power buffing, waxing a vehicle in 2x2' sections, 3 times over. I truly prefer yard work over detail work which can be therapeutic as well.

Our Oliver was new-to-us June of last year and it has been prioritized in our first year of ownership. Going forward it must be just one of the toys, with home and trucks being more important. I don't wax cars anymore, but we do 98% of all maintenance & repair work on our property, every family member included. I don't trust contractors or mechanics to work on our home or vehicles, but I know for sure there are many experience detailers that can do a better "wax job" than me and it's not a safety item. I will spend hours perfecting a brake job, so I know it's done right. And I've been known to drive old cars for years needing paint. It comes to priorities.

Shine on the Oliver would be more important to us, if we had had made the big investment in purchasing a new one. Ours was a bit dull to begin with. In the fall, I hope to find the right shop to put a good shine on her.

• Wow 1

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

57 minutes ago, jd1923 said:

I get it, but I don't have time for waxing, nor the patience for therapeutics

Understood, everyone has their priorities and responsibilities; you definitely have a full plate! I know from reading your posts of the time and effort spent modifying your Oliver and upgrading your TV. I would think getting away with both while spending time with the family to be very therapeutic, as well. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt

On 4/18/2024 at 7:00 AM, jd1923 said:

This detailing sounds like prison life working a rock pile. Save money on that buffer.

JD:

I agree.  It's a granite rock pile at that if working it alone.

I'll bring my buffer and I bet you, Art and I could polish and wax your rig in about 3 hours as a team.  Would be a great day two activity (After bouncing around in the Ollies testing springs).  But you would need to bring the beer, suitable to Art's very high standards of course!  🙂

PS:  For those not in the know, Art is a Brewmaster of the highest order. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

22 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

I'll bring my buffer and I bet you, Art and I could polish and wax your rig in about 3 hours as a team.

Whoa!  No need to haul yours around @Geronimo John - we've got the Dewalt 9" variable speed angle buffer with wool pads like CGI uses and one of these Cyclos left over from our AS days - works like a champ:

Screenshot2024-04-22at9_03_33PM.png.f08352adcaaa5b474eb1b14cb955ebc4.png

But... 3-hours?  I'd give is a bit more time than that, we're not young pups anymore like the CGI guys!  But we could certainly get 'er done!

As for the cold ones, I've definitely got that part covered!  Cheers!

Edited by MAX Burner
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

On 4/19/2024 at 1:28 PM, jd1923 said:

I get it, but I don't have time for waxing, nor the patience for therapeutics! 🤣

Some of you may feel different if you were still working, had 3 trucks, 2 cars, 2 motorcycles, 3 dirt vehicles, a 4000+ SF home on 3/4 acre and 8 gas-powered yard tools to maintain. Spring has sprung and in a couple weeks we will be knee-high in grasses and weeds to whack. I've also been rebuilding our Sundance spa lately, new wet heads on the 3 pumps, new control panel and FLO switch, new skirting is next. There is always something else needed here, so I cannot see hours buffing is utilizing my core competencies. Before it gets too hot this year, I need to pressure-wash and stain two levels of redwood decking, should have done that last year! I may have to also contract this work, if we can afford to.

I'll be getting back to all this work soon, after we leave Sunday, to get away for 3 weeks in the Oliver! What's nice about the Oliver is after some prep work it is ready for camping. Last time out, I was working fulltime 'til the day we left. I had plugged in the day before, so Chris could fill the fridge and I merely packed some clothes the night before. Next morning, I filled water in trailer and TV since the lows were in the 20s, got the TV loaded up with gear stored in our adjacent shed, and hitched up the Oliver. In under 2 hours, we were on our way! I think we can get this down to an hour, nice!

Pickleball is our therapeutic, and so much more fun than power buffing, waxing a vehicle in 2x2' sections, 3 times over. I truly prefer yard work over detail work which can be therapeutic as well.

Our Oliver was new-to-us June of last year and it has been prioritized in our first year of ownership. Going forward it must be just one of the toys, with home and trucks being more important. I don't wax cars anymore, but we do 98% of all maintenance & repair work on our property, every family member included. I don't trust contractors or mechanics to work on our home or vehicles, but I know for sure there are many experience detailers that can do a better "wax job" than me and it's not a safety item. I will spend hours perfecting a brake job, so I know it's done right. And I've been known to drive old cars for years needing paint. It comes to priorities.

Shine on the Oliver would be more important to us, if we had had made the big investment in purchasing a new one. Ours was a bit dull to begin with. In the fall, I hope to find the right shop to put a good shine on her.

We moved to a smaller home with much less land, 2 vehicles and no toys.  In our opinion, less is more.  More time, more camping and more exercise in the proper way, so waxing a trailer is just one of the ten things I must do this year.  I have a diesel zero turn that knocks out the yard in 30 minutes, weed eating is down to 15, and the steaks are ready in 9 on the Blackstone.  

Personally, I would never spend $3000 to have my trailer polished just because I didn't want to do the work.  Much better to grease the elbows and leave that money invested.

• Like 2

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4X4 Truck

2024 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull 1460

ARILINIAKSKYLAMIMNMONMOHOKPASDTNTXVAmed.

1 hour ago, MAX Burner said:

Whoa!  No need to haul yours around @Geronimo John - we've got the Dewalt 9" variable speed angle buffer with wool pads like CGI uses and one of these Cyclos left over from our AS days - works like a champ:

Screenshot2024-04-22at9_03_33PM.png.f08352adcaaa5b474eb1b14cb955ebc4.png

But... 3-hours?  I'd give is a bit more time than the, we're not young pups anymore like the CGI guys!  But we could certainly get 'er done!

As for the cold ones, I've definitely got that part covered!  Cheers!

Young or old, you don't have to do it in one go.  

• Like 2

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4X4 Truck

2024 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull 1460

ARILINIAKSKYLAMIMNMONMOHOKPASDTNTXVAmed.

I have had one of these Rupes LHR15ES Random Action Buffer on board and have not needed it.  The Meguires Flagship Marine wax and their boat wash have done such a good job it's not been necessary.   It has over 25,000 road miles on it... in a box... in the basement. 

image.png.3771aeaaa9c727d51f759275eb994b2b.png

• Haha 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

Posted (edited)
On 4/19/2024 at 7:40 AM, Ronbrink said:

For sure! I usually try and detail XPLOR in early Spring or early Fall in cooler temps. I have to admit although it is a bit of a time bandit, yet satisfying to see the final results of the effort. Parking XPLOR in our “Ollie Hanger” out of the hot sun UV and elements has been a game changer. I always just try and stay ahead of that chalky dull looking oxidation. A work in progress.

Soon off to the coast of somewhere beautiful with my bride for some beach R&R and incredible seafood. 

Onward!

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 4

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

7 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

But... 3-hours?  I'd give is a bit more time than the, we're not young pups anymore like the CGI guys!  But we could certainly get 'er done!

I don’t think @Geronimo John is factoring in the intermittent beer drinking!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

• Moderators
11 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

The CGI team (4 young guys) worked on our trailer for about 10 hours.  Power washer, multiple buffers, a lot of hand polishing and no beer drinking!!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

2 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

The CGI team (4 young guys) worked on our trailer for about 10 hours.  Power washer, multiple buffers, a lot of hand polishing and no beer drinking!!

Mike knows how to get 'er done the right way! 😂

Wish I had an "Ollie Hanger" like @Patriot! You really need to "wax" undercover or in the shade. 

I don't believe I could get a permit for one on my property without spending a fortune. Local government is getting a bit Californian around here. And it's so hard to hide from the sun in the SW. It's another sunny day in Arizona, and our windy season just started. A couple months of wind until everything gets toasty dry out here! Each year we wait it out 'til the summer monsoons come.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

On 4/17/2024 at 3:44 AM, Ronbrink said:

I made the chore of ‘upper’ washing and hull maintenance much easier and safer by modifying a scaffold.

Like your scaffold idea.  I personally would need several pool noodles on the trailer side though.

GJ

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

Like your scaffold idea.  I personally would need several pool noodles on the trailer side though.

GJ

I too would do that if unable to stabilize with cam-lock wheels. I’m careful when positioning and once the cams are set it stays put. With the shape of the Oliver, the only potential point of contact on the sides is where the top and bottom halves are joined. 

IMG_1475.thumb.jpeg.c26c877855eca45913387a977b804c7a.jpeg

However, extra caution is needed forward at the propane cover when straddling the tongue.

IMG_1477.thumb.jpeg.55f3d80824e95cb84890cc0a3fc11658.jpeg

The rear is not a problem.

IMG_1478.thumb.jpeg.6486fb8b0bc2d8b7d946b220e62104e9.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4