Shackles flipped on trailer suspension

johnwen

• Moderators
5 hours ago, johnwen said:

Can't seem to edit the title, the body of the post I can edit.  If a moderator is avail please change title to Shackle flipped on trailer suspension...

John

Done

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 5 months later...
48 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

Here is mine the last time both sides flipped:

What's the most expeditious procedure to remedy the flipped shackle?  Jack it up?

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

1 hour ago, John E Davies said:

I agree with Frank C, but I will go further and say you have a broken spring. The flipped shackle would never get so high as to touch the subframe! In fact, towing with it flipped is normally fine. Here is mine the last time both sides flipped:

IMG_2934.thumb.jpeg.fec13bf920664623fdd80ec19cd540a4.jpeg

You need to find a NEARBY trailer repair shop and have them install a full set of four 3500 pound rated springs. Don’t tow it any further that necessary. If the roads to the shop are smooth, no worries, if you have to drive on rough pavement … in your shoes I would find a mobile tech or get it transported on a truck bed. They also need to inspect the frame for any possible damage.

They also need to check the shocks.

What tire pressure in your trailer? If you are running 80 psi, that could have caused this. On truly nasty roads set them to 45 at the most. Mine runs 42 psi all the time. 

Good luck, please start a new thread with this.

John Davies

Spokane WA

I will request thread carve-out on this one. Just trying to get true description of what I have here. 

• Like 2

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

20 minutes ago, MAX Burner said:

What's the most expeditious procedure to remedy the flipped shackle?  Jack it up?

Uhmmm, maybe you should read the posts on the first page? Had your morning coffee yet?

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

20 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

Had your morning coffee yet?

Not to be high-"jacking" the thread...  Just pouring 2nd cup ATM, not awake yet! HA!

• Like 1

spacer.png

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

On 1/25/2023 at 7:52 PM, John E Davies said:

The easy peasy way to fix it is to find a parking lot with curbs, island landscaping works great, then drive both the wonky side tires up and along the curb. Bang, it will flip back where it belongs.

Woah!, my bad!

spacer.png

• Moderators

I moved Sny sd up's posts, and replies,  to this new thread:

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 1 month later...
On 1/26/2023 at 3:31 PM, topgun2 said:

You need to raise the tire that is connected to the axle where the shackle is in the correct position.  By doing this you take the pressure off the shackle that has been "flipped" thus allowing it both room (to unflip) and lack of resistance (pressure) so that it can unflip.  All of this occurs on the side of the trailer that has the flipped shackle.

In my example it really doesn't matter if you put the 4x4 under the front or the rear tire.  Nor does it matter which shackle is flipped.  This is because if the front shackle is flipped and you put the 4x4 under the front tire - nothing will happen as you drive forward over the 4x4.  But, as you continue to drive over the 4x4 with the rear tire the front shackle will flip back to its "normal" position.  This same principal is true for JD's solution using a curb.

Oh Good Grief!  Are all 4 of my shackles flipped?! How do I fix when all 4 are like this?  And if this is true -- could it be caused by using the Anderson levelers (first on one side and then on the other)?

photos attached. 

IMG_5180.jpeg

IMG_5181.jpeg

IMG_5182.jpeg

IMG_5183.jpeg

EDIT: 

I have watched two different videos and now I believe that my shackles are all okay. But it sure is confusing without a decent photograph to know which way they are supposed to be sitting.  I'll try to check in again tonight after my chores are done.  

Edited by Boudicca908
Updated

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYMONENDOKSDTNWYDDDDDDmed.

41 minutes ago, Boudicca908 said:

Oh Good Grief!  Are all 4 of my shackles flipped?! How do I fix when all 4 are like this?  And if this is true -- could it be caused by using the Anderson levelers (first on one side and then on the other)?

photos attached. 

IMG_5180.jpeg

IMG_5181.jpeg

IMG_5182.jpeg

IMG_5183.jpeg

EDIT: 

I have watched two different videos and now I believe that my shackles are all okay. But it sure is confusing without a decent photograph to know which way they are supposed to be sitting.  I'll try to check in again tonight after my chores are done.  

Your shackles aren’t flipped.   All of your photos show the shackles in the correct normal orientation.  

• Thanks 2
  • Like 4

A couple of screen captures:

IMG_3566.thumb.jpeg.5efceb3a19bd756a3a1e01fd9b04bb0d.jpeg

IMG_3567.thumb.jpeg.ac82c1f3ed9cf5e62aeb69a34af114a4.jpeg

There is an animated diagram at the following link if you want to see this in action:

https://mechanicalelements.com/suspension-equalizer-link-action/

You do not have to completely understand the engineering of all the parts of your Ollie! It is OK to use a Sharpie to add a note on the frame: “Up is normal”. I added a note in the bath for the grey tank vent (isolation) valve: “Push in for travel”. I also added labels and arrows showing water flow direction for the fresh water valves. More information is always better than less. Most of the mature Ollie owners sooner or later have senior moments. 😉 

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
57 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

Most of the mature Ollie owners sooner or later have senior moments. 😉 

More often than we care to admit....

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

When I picked up my trailer from Service last Friday I was watching as they pulled it out.  I heard a huge bang and wondered what broke.

Jason saw me look and said that was normal.  When then lift them for maintenance they'll often flip and going over the dip exiting the service bay they flip back...loudly. 😉

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

2020 Legacy Elite II Hull 625 - 2013 Lexus LX 570

San Antonio/Boerne - Texas Hill Country

3 hours ago, John E Davies said:

I also added labels and arrows showing water flow direction for the fresh water valves.

I used painters tape with a note to remind me that the Truma WH is in bypass mode — and another that signals the open valve in bathroom (taped over my rear camera power toggle, so I don’t forget to close it prior to travel.) 

Thank you for the diagram — it’s helpful! 

• Like 3

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYMONENDOKSDTNWYDDDDDDmed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator+
On 1/26/2023 at 8:23 AM, Rivernerd said:

Do they drive the side of the trailer with flipped shackle(s) lengthwise over the 4x4, using it like a curb in John Davies' example?

I doubt it.

• Like 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg