Enclosed Aluminum Box Front Mount

Mountainoliver, I may not be the only member who is curious about your light. It has a Victorian vibe. šŸ˜€ Can you elaborate?

IMG_2291.jpeg.6433cd5c4c6181337d0116d9ec1de040.jpeg

And I really like that stout cross support. Excellent!

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 4

SOLDĀ 07/23 "Mouse": Ā 2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds,Ā Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads:Ā https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32ā€ LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

The KSH folks provide a cam lock nylon strap for securing the generator. Looking at the photo of the u bolt inside the box, notice a 1/4 gap under the u bolt. I plan on running the straps under the u bolts and over the generator. Iā€™ll probably also line the box with some sort of rubber to further protect the generator just in case.Ā 

• Like 3

2017 Elite II, Hull #208

2019 Chevy HD 2500 Duramax

The light? Hahaha, no particular meaning to it. I found it at a campsite. The previous folks threw it away because it didnā€™t work. Just cleaning up the contacts fixed it. I made an adapter for it and itā€™s just on a strong magnet. It stays in the back of the truck while traveling.Ā 

• Like 6
  • Wow 2

2017 Elite II, Hull #208

The trip that we just returned from last night was a month long road test to make sure that the box was weatherproof before I put the generator in. So as requested, I put the generator in the box this morning. The nylon strap that KSH supplied seems more than sufficient to hold the generator solidly in place. The original strap anchors that were welded inside the box may not have been sufficiently strong enough to hold the generator. I removed them because they were in the way of using the original Oliver supplied basket anchoring u bolts. If I were to buy this box again, Iā€™d ask that the welded in strap anchors not be used. There is enough space for my extension cords and rope lights (pack rat deterrent) as well. I draped a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet over the generator to prevent any damage from the cords, etc. Iā€™m very pleased with the results! The extra plus is that the generator box is about six inches narrower (front to back) and eight inches total narrower (side to side). This gives me a little tighter turning radius and a little less worry while backing up. Iā€™m also saving about 15-18 pounds on the tongue. I would have liked to use a ā€œstore boughtā€ triangular shaped aluminum tongue box but I never could find one of reasonable size that my generator could fit into.Ā IMG_1325.thumb.jpeg.705cd7b74d025c62f334b58861592f66.jpegIMG_1326.thumb.jpeg.1a6372d0f00b069f8aee2efb07eae40c.jpegIMG_1328.thumb.jpeg.3ea89ecae569edfa1385690196e71eac.jpeg

• Like 7

2017 Elite II, Hull #208

On 5/21/2023 at 7:54 PM, Mike and Carol said:

A blurry shot from underneath the tongue. Ā It doesnā€™t look like much but it has been very stable over the last 5 years or so.

@Mike and CarolĀ Mike - did you run all three bolts through the fiberglass in the same manner as in the pic?

Wasnā€™t sure if the ā€œpairā€ of bolts in the aft section are plated together on the underside or they have their own washers and nuts.

Thanks - I will be installing one of these as well.

Brian

Ā 

Ā 

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, Brian and Brandelyne said:

@Mike and CarolĀ Mike - did you run all three bolts through the fiberglass in the same manner as in the pic?

Wasnā€™t sure if the ā€œpairā€ of bolts in the aft section are plated together on the underside or they have their own washers and nuts.

Thanks - I will be installing one of these as well.

Brian

Brian - three bolts, all with their own washers and nuts. Ā I drilled up through the fiberglass, then through the bottom of the box. Ā I had the box clamped to the tongue. Ā The hardware is stainless steel with neoprene washers on the aluminum. Ā Mike

• Like 5

Texas Hill CountryĀ | 2016 Elite IIĀ #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

On 6/6/2023 at 10:39 AM, mountainoliver said:

The trip that we just returned from last night was a month long road test to make sure that the box was weatherproof before I put the generator in. So as requested, I put the generator in the box this morning. The nylon strap that KSH supplied seems more than sufficient to hold the generator solidly in place. The original strap anchors that were welded inside the box may not have been sufficiently strong enough to hold the generator. I removed them because they were in the way of using the original Oliver supplied basket anchoring u bolts. If I were to buy this box again, Iā€™d ask that the welded in strap anchors not be used. There is enough space for my extension cords and rope lights (pack rat deterrent) as well. I draped a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet over the generator to prevent any damage from the cords, etc. Iā€™m very pleased with the results! The extra plus is that the generator box is about six inches narrower (front to back) and eight inches total narrower (side to side). This gives me a little tighter turning radius and a little less worry while backing up. Iā€™m also saving about 15-18 pounds on the tongue. I would have liked to use a ā€œstore boughtā€ triangular shaped aluminum tongue box but I never could find one of reasonable size that my generator could fit into.Ā 

@mountainoliverĀ well thought out and nicely done! Do you think the gen box lid lock is robust enough to keep your gen secure? Have you considered a secondary cable lock inside the box to help secure your gen? I like the suitcase generators and their portability. Unfortunately due to their portability they have been known to grow legs. That said, I hope you never have an issue with theft.

PatriotšŸ‡ŗšŸ‡ø

• Like 2

Ā 

2020 OLEII -Ā Hull #634 aka- Ā ā€œXPLORā€Ā 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate TremorĀ 

Ā 

IMG_2879.jpeg

Patriot, I hope that I donā€™t have a theft issue either! It was under a tarp for five years which could have been removed easily with a pocket knife. I did have a strong cable and lock but, as far as I know no one ever peaked under the tarp to find out. Yes, I have thought about a heavy hasp (probably home made) to tie the lid to the box. Still thinking about that. Then again no one knows what is in the box and weather itā€™s even worth the hassle to find out. Added locks gives the impression that there is something important in the box. Who knows?

• Like 2

2017 Elite II, Hull #208

17 hours ago, mountainoliver said:

Patriot, I hope that I donā€™t have a theft issue either! It was under a tarp for five years which could have been removed easily with a pocket knife. I did have a strong cable and lock but, as far as I know no one ever peaked under the tarp to find out. Yes, I have thought about a heavy hasp (probably home made) to tie the lid to the box. Still thinking about that. Then again no one knows what is in the box and weather itā€™s even worth the hassle to find out. Added locks gives the impression that there is something important in the box. Who knows?

All good points. I seriously doubt you will ever have an issue with theft. And I agree, a hasp does highlight the box. A nice set up you have. All said, I would still consider a secondary lock for the gen, just me.
Ā It should serve you well.Ā 

PatriotšŸ‡ŗšŸ‡ø

• Like 2

Ā 

Ā 

IMG_2879.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Ok, after much consideration and some mentoring from @mountainoliverĀ I finally purchased and installed a storage box for my trailer tongue. Ā It was not the least expensive option but I got an incredible deal on it through a local vendor (truck parts/accessories store). Ā These have an insulated top, one hand opening feature and are very well made.

Thank you for all the ideas and suggestions on this thread.

Brian

IMG_8505.jpeg

• Like 5

Ā 

Ā 

6 minutes ago, Brian and Brandelyne said:

Ok, after much consideration and some mentoring from @mountainoliverĀ I finally purchased and installed a storage box for my trailer tongue. Ā It was not the least expensive option but I got an incredible deal on it through a local vendor (truck parts/accessories store). Ā These have an insulated top, one hand opening feature and are very well made.

Thank you for all the ideas and suggestions on this thread.

Brian

IMG_8505.jpeg

Looks good!

• Like 2

Hull #364 - The RoadrunnerĀ 

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

ALAKAZARCACOFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMSMO

@rich.devĀ it is 34ā€ across the back and 20ā€ in the front.Ā 
Ā 

I will look for a link when I get home but itā€™s easy to find on Amazon. As I mentioned, my local guy was able to get it for much less than Amazon.Ā 
Shop around.Ā 
Ā 

Brian

Ā 

Ā 

45 minutes ago, Brian and Brandelyne said:

I will look for a link when I get home

Disregards the link, I found it, thanks!

• Like 1

2023 Elite II,Ā Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV:Ā 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

On 5/17/2023 at 11:44 AM, VBistro said:

We just installed this before leaving on a 6 week trip.Ā  It's been a game changer!

Looks like the same one I installed. Plenty of room and very well made.

BL

Ā 

Ā 

3 minutes ago, Brian and Brandelyne said:

I didn't have a factory basket so I called OTT and ordered the hardware they use to mount the baskets

Ah great thanks good to know! šŸ‘šŸ»

• Like 1

2023 Elite II,Ā Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

42 minutes ago, Brian and Brandelyne said:

I didn't have a factory basket so I called OTT and ordered the hardware they use to mount the baskets. It included the nice rubber strip that mounts between the basket and the fiberglass.

Brian, did you have to buy any additional hardware?Ā 

Truma water heater & AC

Just now, rich.dev said:

Brian, did you have to buy any additional hardware?Ā 

I mounted a piece of square aluminum tubing (1" x 3" x 12") under the front inspired by @mountainoliverĀ and then I added a strip on aluminum on the inside back for additional rigidity. I don't think I needed that as they welded nice aluminum angle brackets along the front and back. I will NOT be carrying a generator in this box, it is primarily for our camping needs.

I just have an issue putting things that are wet or dirty in the basement so close to the sleeping area although I try to clean them as much as possible before putting them in there.

BL

• Like 3

Ā 

Ā 

I have been looking for an alternative to the original Oliver box that likes to mash my bumperĀ  - my fault as I turned to sharp. This just might be it. Looks good.

• Like 1

Ā  Ā  Ā Ā 

2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

2021 Elite I #758Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā 

Ā  Ā  Ā Ā image.png.d972b5fc86270818b1e0f030bfaa433a.pngMap of Provinces I Visited

• 2 months later...
On 5/22/2023 at 11:45 AM, MAX Burner said:

I wanted to see if you are still happy with this box since install? We need one to contain set-up stuff only as we keep our larger generator in the truck bed.Ā 

• Like 1

2019 Oliver Elite II, Hull #550Ā  --Ā  2019 Ram 1500 Hemi 7.4LĀ  Big Horn

spacer.png

On 5/22/2023 at 6:26 PM, Tim Willingham said:

I am also scared to death to drill into the fiberglass.Ā  But I like the look and the space!

Don't be! I promise it doesn't feel your pain. Before I drill, I think "will I ever want to remove this?"Ā Ā 

• Like 2

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, Patriot said:

I saw this on the Oliver FB page. Itā€™s a nice looking storage box and appears well made. Pricey.

Looks like a nice box. Ā Pretty expensive though. Ā My $150 Amazon aluminum box has done well the last 5 or 6 years.

• Like 5

Texas Hill CountryĀ | 2016 Elite IIĀ #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

1 hour ago, Mike and Carol said:

Looks like a nice box. Ā Pretty expensive though. Ā My $150 Amazon aluminum box has done well the last 5 or 6 years.

I agree it is pricey even being completely custom powder coated and fabricated in Tenn. šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡øĀ 

• Like 4

Ā 

Ā 

IMG_2879.jpeg